Calorie free drinks etc - worth logging?

Options
Do you bother adding these? I don't log for example diet coke as it has 0 cals.

Replies

• chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt unless I was watching my sodium as it has a few mgs in it
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is something I am consuming and helps me track for hydration purposes.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't count it for hydration, but yeah if I'm trying to watch sodium I log it.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Some of them have sodium...
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Log everything, wether good or bad. It may not have calories, but it could be an eye opener of how much you consume. ( Diet coke amongst other diet beverages have aspartame which makes you bloated)
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do because while they might be 0cal, the sodium and/or carbs are kinda high and I need to keep track of those things. The only 0cal thing I don't log is water.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    since diet drinks can be a real crutch and/or hindrance for some people I think it would be important to log it just so you really are accountable for what you are putting in your body.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I probably should, but i don't
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I want to keep the weight off this time so am avoiding fizzy drinks and have switched to warm water.

The fizzy drinks are awful for your teeth and when you are dieting, you do not want to risk damaging your enamel an dentine because you might not be getting all of your vitamins and minerals.

Damaged enamel means that your teeth can get permanently stained because the dentine will absorb stuff.
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    Do you bother adding these? I don't log for example diet coke as it has 0 cals.

Even diet coke adds to your overall liquid intake for the day so I'd keep track of it in the water intake category.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The only calorie free drink you should be drinking in water. All those chemicals in diet soda & other no calorie/low calorie drinks is HORRIBLE!!!! IMO
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a diet soda once or twice a week and log it as fluid along with water. I think if I was trying to become more aware of how much I consumed, I would log it with food so I could see it there on my food journal.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drink my tea and coffee black, and I consider the calories in them to be too negligible to track. I don't do diet soft drinks. I know I'm well-hydrated, so I don't bother with the water counter.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would never consider a caffeinated drink as water intake. That's completely contradictory. Caffeine dehydrates. You need about 2 cups of water to replace what you'll lose by drinking caffeine.

Don't get me wrong, I like coffee and I don't fault anyone for drinking caffeine. But to count it as your water intake is going to mess you up in the long run.

And just because something doesn't have calories doesn't make it healthy. Diet sodas use carcinogenic chemicals in place of sugar. You'd be better off drinking something with natural sugar, as your body will easily metabolize that into energy (though it will count towards your cals), but the aspartame and saccharine will stay around for a long time and make you toxic, possibly leading to cancer.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you came up with that 2 cups ratio. Drinking tea and coffee does not create a net loss. That's a long-standing myth. Here's two out of many articles that dispute it:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/03March/Pages/tea-compared-to-water-for-hydration.aspx
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log that kind of thing simply because a lot of the time it will have sodium (which I have a deficiency in/require extra of, so for me it's important)... and also, depending on what it is, there may be other vitamins/minerals. I dunno about everyone else but I like to check those things once in a while and not get to caught up in just the macronutrients of my diet.
  • Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those thoughts.

I should probably start logging everything.

Not water though. I can't see the need.
  • stevenodonoghue
    Options
    I'm not sure where you came up with that 2 cups ratio. Drinking tea and coffee does not create a net loss. That's a long-standing myth. Here's two out of many articles that dispute it:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/03March/Pages/tea-compared-to-water-for-hydration.aspx
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

bang on with that one!!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No, I don't log water because who has time to log every glass they have?! I drink loads! I know if I haven't drunk enough each day.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Log everything, wether good or bad. It may not have calories, but it could be an eye opener of how much you consume. ( Diet coke amongst other diet beverages have aspartame which makes you bloated)

:drinker: