Poll for men...

Options
Just curious as to how men think.....

Is SIGNIFICANT weight gain grounds for divorce?

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is not grounds for a divorce. The weight can be lost just like it can be gained. The new trend in divorce cases and pre-nups is called " Alienation of Affection" In other words when one spouse stops sleeping with the other, or withholds sex. If two ppl are going to make it they are going to make it, and weight gain can be reversed.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    sorry thought this thread for men who loves polls lmao but to the op I am up in the air on this one because when you marrie someone it for life no matter what but let say your small when you met and and he let you know he is only attrated to smaller women but someone reason or another you gained weight but did nothing about it, is it fair to him to make him attrated to something he isnt? so yeah its a tuff one just my two cents
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I won't say I'm insulted b/c I don't think that was your intent or anything...but...

Why ask just the men? I don't know that my gender makes me particularly shallow when it comes to the weight gain of loved ones.
  • HappilyMarried2711
    HappilyMarried2711 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to be insulting at all. I'm just feeling a bit...insecure...with myself. I dont think my husband would actually leave me or anything, i was just wondering if men actually thought that would be a reason for leaving.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to be insulting at all. I'm just feeling a bit...insecure...with myself. I dont think my husband would actually leave me or anything, i was just wondering if men actually thought that would be a reason for leaving.

Just my opinion here, but if we leave the divorce thing aside and talk about what you're worried about, I think insecurity is larger detriment to someone's attractiveness than their weight is.
  • HappilyMarried2711
    HappilyMarried2711 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Point well made!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Not since college
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Just my opinion here, but if we leave the divorce thing aside and talk about what you're worried about, I think insecurity is larger detriment to someone's attractiveness than their weight is.

this
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how men think.....

Is SIGNIFICANT weight gain grounds for divorce?

Here is the thing.

If you spent your entire time dating maintaining a certain weight, but then once you got married you decided "well now he loves me for "who I am" (which sorry ladies, who you are also includes your physical state, denying as such is simply dishonest), so I can eat myself to death" then possibly.

This is of course excluding all weight gain due to LEGITIMATE health issues. (key word legitimate)

You have to understand that men value the physical of their SO, so if you let yourself go you are basically slapping him in the face saying "well it is too late now, you married me."

In conclusion, is it grounds for divorce? I don't know I guess that is his choice, however taking that route is arguably immoral, so I would sympathize with whoever made that decision.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jaybilbo777
    Options
    Absolutely not. I think that is very lame for a man to divorce a woman for that....or vice versa.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not directly, but indirectly... yes. :happy:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    No it is not and sorry one would have to worry about this.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man, but I can almost guarantee you that a majority of people will say that it's not the weight that causes the divorce, but it's whatever underlying issues caused the weight gain. People who are in a good place mentally don't let their bodies go to *kitten*.
  • kellensdad
    kellensdad Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For better or for worse, in sickness and in health...enough said. (made a promise to my wife and to God, I am not quitting.)
  • Sculpta
    Sculpta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little selfish to me. You should express your concerns to your partner and demand a change first at least!
    However!! If you stress that you may fall out of love with them for it and they still don't try and loose weight for your interests.. then **** em - they should make an effort for you if you are married to them!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Not by itself, but if one partner is no longer sexually attracted to the other, that can cause serious issues in a relationship.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Not from a biblical perspective... and thats how I live my life...
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little selfish to me. You should express your concerns to your partner and demand a change first at least!
    However!! If you stress that you may fall out of love with them for it and they still don't try and loose weight for your interests.. then **** em - they should make an effort for you if you are married to them!

This is ironic, the man should make an effort for her, even though she doesn't make an effort to maintain her body.

How about this, why don't both parties make an effort for each other?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    SIGNIFICANT weight gain as cause for divorce?

If my significant other became morbidly obese and refused to do anything about it?

Yes. I would certainly divorce her.

If she put on a few pounds because work/kids/stress?

No. Probably not.

But then again I'm single and I like it that way.