How big do I look to other people?

Options
I look at myself daily, anx really I dont seem that fat, to myself. Im 5'8", 240lbs, large bone frame, but how.would I beBle to see myself thru.anotherz eyes...???

Replies

• staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always wonder that, too.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was almost at 160 lbs and to me I didn't look all that big, then I saw my Halloween pictures and I wanted to crawl into a hole. Those pictures were all the motivation I needed.
  • cndunkel
    cndunkel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    when i first started losing weight i didnt think i looked as big as i did i just found a pic from a month before i lost the 80 lbs i did and now i see it i was huge and i didnt see it nether did my friend its hard when you see yourself everyday take a pic and then look at it a month or two later see if that would work i knw when i look at old pics that's when i really see the real me
  • angiemarie_xo
    angiemarie_xo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always wondered that too. It's interesting how it works. I look at myself in the mirror and go 'oh, you don't look that bad' .. but then I see a picture and I go 'holy crap!!!'

I think that really opened my eyes .. that and sometimes people make comments about it and that gets to me too.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You are going to look AMAZING at 170-180. But lose it right, don't yo-yo, ok?
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I was 220 at my heaviest and didn't think I looked too bad. I always thought "well sure, I'm pudgy, but I'm not obese!" How wrong I was. I was not only obese (by 40 pounds!), but I was severely obese. I knew I looked MUCH heavier in pictures than I did in the mirror, but I sort of ignored that.

Even now that I'm 53 pounds lighter than that, I still don't "see" my weight loss because this is how I looked in my mind at my heaviest!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think you get used to your appearance, even if you don't nessecarily like it. When I was 240 I never thought I was huge. I look back at pictures and I'm like woah. Now at 200 I don't think I look huge again, but I'm sure once I reach my goal ( 160 ) I will look at 200 as huge to me. I'm 5'11'' with a large frame too, and I always used that as justification that I carried my weight well.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My biggest was 210 (that I know of) and I am 5'5 I didn't think I was really that big till recently when I hit 70lbs lost and started looking threw old pics.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Pictures don't lie. What you see is what others see. Pictures are my big motivator.
  • They have a website for that...I will try to find it. You can enter your height and weight and see pics of others.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I always wondered that too. It's interesting how it works. I look at myself in the mirror and go 'oh, you don't look that bad' .. but then I see a picture and I go 'holy crap!!!'

^This
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was almost 220 lbs and a size 18. I'm now 157lbs or so and a size 8. My head thinks I'm somewhere in between those and always has. I didn't see myself as heavy when I was. I thought I carried it well. I don't see myself as lean now. I still feel fatter than I am.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    We all get ostrich syndrome about our appearance. I honestly had no clue that I was fat. I thought I looked pretty good and "carried my weight well." It wasn't until I saw a picture of myself sitting next to someone I considered "heavy" and realizing that I didn't look to much different from them. That's when I knew I needed to make a change. Looking at old pictures now makes me cringe.

No one in my life ever told me I was heavy. My husband said I was beautiful and sexy on a regular basis (God bless that man). But I know that my family did have concerns about my health.....it wasn't about how I looked, but more about how my weight was going to hurt me in the long run.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I was looking at a picture of myself from a couple of months ago, and wondered when in the world did my head get so small! Oh wait, it isn't my head that got small, it is the rest of me that got big! So odd though, I don't see that when I look in a mirror!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until I saw a picture someone else took of me. I also think it's about how and where you store fat. Some people kind of got it bubbling from everywhere, others have it more tucked in and evenly spread. I pretty much kept it all compact until my face started to appear chubby. Then I knew I was in trouble.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Video. For me I recently saw a video of me with someone that I thought was close to how I looked. When I saw the video of us near each other I could really see the difference. A video of me alone is better than a photo but not nearly as good as when I have a base to compare it to in the same video.

A photo is no good, just not dynamic enough for this. IMHO
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    ugh.. pictures. Terrible to look at, but seeing myself as others do helped me focus on my health. Facebook tags were an eye opener - I hardly take pictures of myself so I don't own alot but friends and family do. Facebook is where they end up. My family likes it, and they know how big I am so it's no shocker, but when I see a new photo it's like seeing my huge self for the first time. Disturbing.

That feeling I get when I see that is why I'm here - I don't want to feel like that anymore.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I still think of myself as pre-baby (he is now 5) me. I see myself in pics and think...who the hell is that???
  • HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Me in the mirror looks ok to me, but a photo of me tells the truth. So, that is how I can tell what that new outfit looks on me--by looking at a picture of me wearing it. Enlist someone else to take a pic, or set up your camera with 10 second delay to snap a shot.
  • Here it is! http://www.mybodygallery.com/

I know a lot of us think well I look better than her but you will see a few different people at your size.