So frustrated

Options
I recommitted to MFP at the start of this year after putting back on weight after having a baby. I was so excited to weigh in today because I came in under my goal for 5 out of 7 days last week and was only slightly over on the other two and I worked out 5 times last week. I was so upset when I looked down and saw I was the exact same as last week. No take out this. Just healthy choices. So frustrated. :-(

Replies

• kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    I feel the same way you do. I have been trying to lose weight for some time, and I don't see much progress. In fact, my stomach actually seems bigger!

But I've heard a great quote that I think really helped me:

It takes four weeks for you to notice your own body changing.
    Eight weeks for your friends and twelve weeks for the rest of the world.

Just hang in there, we'll both get our dream bodies eventually!
  • Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with you. This has been an incredibly frustrating process for me as well. I'm about a year in and I've lost 55 lbs. I track every day, and make healthier choices, but obviously things pop up. The sad thing I'm realizing is that for me, calories are not as simple as expend more than you intake. Where your calories come from are a factor as well. I can't eat 2100 calories of McDonalds a few times a week and expect to lose weight. Switching from eating out to making my own food at home has made a world of difference. Personally I'm finding my intake has more punch over my weight loss than the fitness part. I've lost 5 lbs in one week not going to the gym once, and another week I went 4 times and stayed the same. Bottom line is that its frustrating, but don't give up
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I know results right away is what everyone wants to see, but give your body time to adjust. You said you "came under your goal" but perhaps you were too far under your caloric guidelines? Eating too little seems to be detrimental to weight loss too.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I recommitted to MFP at the start of this year after putting back on weight after having a baby. I was so excited to weigh in today because I came in under my goal for 5 out of 7 days last week and was only slightly over on the other two and I worked out 5 times last week. I was so upset when I looked down and saw I was the exact same as last week. No take out this. Just healthy choices. So frustrated. :-(

What do you mean when you say you came in under your goal. You should try to eat all your calories if you can. How many calories are you eating? And do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love the quote about the weeks it takes for people to notice. I tried replying right to that comment, but it didn't work for me. I should have used quote. I'm new here...
  • Investorhyde1
    Options
    Also note that if you had an extra amount of sodium one day it can cause an increase in water retention. I have a cheat day every weekend and when I eat the extra sodium, I can gain up to an extra 3-5 lbs, but it is from water retention. I didn't actually eat an extra 10,000-16,000 calories. After a couple or few days I am back to where I should be. Most important thing, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED :)
  • higgi7
    higgi7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recommitted right when you did - january 7th. Had a good first week and actually gained a pound today (Tuesday is my weigh in just cause I started on a Tuesday) Guess what - I'm changing my weigh in to Friday! I am going to friend you as it seems like we are in the same boat. Over the past few years, weight is way easier to lose. Then I get frustrated - working so hard on shopping for healthy food, preparing healthy meals, exercising, etc with very, very slow results. Don't let me quit!!
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have lost 13 pounds but it was in the first 2 weeks, week 3 nothing. I'm gonna hang in there though, I'm hoping I'm just gaining muscle.
  • s4boylan
    Options
    I am more frustrated. I want to see immediate results but it is so hard when i have a husband to feed plus a son 26 yrsold and daughter 22.....I got to get motivated....ugh help may myfitnesspal will help.....fingers crossed.....i need the buddy sytem.....
  • jc2103
    jc2103 Posts: 11
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have lost 13 pounds but it was in the first 2 weeks, week 3 nothing. I'm gonna hang in there though, I'm hoping I'm just gaining muscle.
    It takes 4-6 weeks for noticeable improvements in muscle mass.

Without seeing your diary, best guess would be you shorted yourself on calories a bit much and your body is holding you back. If that's the case, your best bet is to increase your caloric intake and continue the same workout routine - see if that gets you back to shedding pounds.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is no linear or short term. You need to look at long term trends before you really allow yourself to get discouraged. If you can't handle the disappointment of fluctuation that weighing daily or weekly cause you, then only weigh once a month. That is what I do.
  • rglasspell
    Options
    Another thing to take into account is plateauing. If you were at a certain weight for quite a while, it can take a long time to finally break through, but once the weight starts to come off, it is easier to lose, until you hit that next plateau. Take heart. Keep going. Don't stop. I think most of us hit those tough times, too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep. The scale can be a complete B*TCH sometimes. Decided to kick things up a notch this year since Jan 1st I've eaten better, been working out a ton, I've drank an ocean of water - 22 days in and all I have to show for it is more weight than I had on Dec 31. That stupid message that I'll lose a bunch of weight in 5 weeks makes me want to cry - such a liar. Keep at it though - it has to happen - like someone else mentioned it's a long term thing - it doesn't happen overnight or in those magical 1.5 lb perfect increments every week.
  • uglyfatgirl
    Options
    Me too! I was able to lose all my weight,keep it off for almost two years , and now I ave gained 15 lbs in one month and I do nt know what to do!
  • uglyfatgirl
    Options
    Do not give up! Work on your strategy and be persistent ! That s my plan too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating. With 25 lbs to lose, the best you can hope for is 1 lb per week.
  • DriaD84
    Options
    Do not give up! Work on your strategy and be persistent ! That s my plan too!

You should also change your name "uglyfatgirl" can't be helping your confidence
  • jennmarg
    jennmarg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Very good motivation. I know I just have to keep at it -- and even if I don't see an immediate change in the number know that I am eating better, which makes me feel better over all.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The USDA estimates the calorie requirement for active women is about 2,000 per day for individuals age 61 and older, 2,200 calories per day for those 31 to 60 and about 2,400 calories per day for those 19 to 30. Since one pound of body fat equals about 3,500 calories, to lose about 1 pound per week, reduce your daily calorie intake by about 500 calories per day or burn an additional 500 calories per day by exercising.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/499667-calories-required-for-an-active-female/#ixzz2IoL73Q9Y

The big changes in daily weight have to do more with fluid retention. Sugars and salt make your body retain fluid, so if you reduce them or restrict them from your diet, the less fluid you retain and you see the 3-5 lb. loss in a week, BUT IT ISN'T REAL WEIGHT LOSS! Checking your weight daily and fretting over these fluctuations can only undermine your determination and is not a measure of success or failure. I can see a 2-4 lb change in my weight from morning to evening merely related to my intake of water and daily meals (8-8ounce glasses of water is 4 lbs - you may not retain it all in a day, but some of that will hold on).

As you workout more, you develop more muscle tissue. It isn't just denser than fat, but it retains and stores a lot of fluid (as it should to work properly). Working out hard in a week and not seeing a weight loss (or seeing a weight gain) IS NOT A BAD THING. You are improving your body's systems, increasing your metabolism, and burning more calories.

Your goal for weight loss should be about losing body fat (below the skin, on your blood vessel walls, and in your vital organs) while maintaining or increasing muscle mass. If you keep that in mind, your daily weight is not a factor in that equation.

Do away with the daily weigh-in, it doesn't mean anything. If you can, check the scale only once a week (or two) and try to have all the factors the same (ex: just out of bed). If you are tracking your calories from diet and exercise, know you are losing body fat and be strong.