girls how much do you leg press

Options
I workout with 350 lbs and this seems to be making my thighs bigger. When I started here they measured 25.5" and now there a bit over 26". I think I may be working out with too much. I love how strong they are but would like them to be a little thinner.

Replies

• JackieD1962
    Options
    Isn't it better to do less weight and more of them. Seems like you are just making muscle.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to leg press a lot... haven't done in a while but it was still a couple hundren pounds... anyway, you can still get strong without bulking up too much. You can lower your weight and do more reps and/or add in some types of exercises that develop lean muscles :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Do not have any answer for you. But I am interested to see the answer. Maybe if your Legs are Strong and Toned, the additional inch(s) will not be an issue?
  • brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    Do not have any answer for you. But I am interested to see the answer. Maybe if your Legs are Strong and Toned, the additional inch(s) will not be an issue?
    I really don't mind the extra size its just jeans don't fit my thighs very well lol
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The higher your leg press weight the more meatier your thighs will appear; toned but meaty. That's what my trainer told me. I do 170lb with 2 reps to failure. Then I do 8 sets of 10 at 150 and 130.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Wow! That sounds like a lot of weight to me. I just went today and I did about 45lb maybe, maybe a little less. I did two reps of 20. I would rather do less weight and more reps because I dont really want huge arms/legs, just want to tone.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I workout with 350 lbs and this seems to be making my thighs bigger. When I started here they measured 25.5" and now there a bit over 26". I think I may be working out with too much. I love how strong they are but would like them to be a little thinner.

I've only been using the plate loaded leg press for maybe 6 months now, and I just bumped up to 290lbs this morning. I have noticed about a 1/2in increase in my thighs, but I am also doing squats. My thighs are pretty solid, so I am not too hung up on what the measuring tape says.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I really don't mind the extra size its just jeans don't fit my thighs very well lol

That would be True!! :flowerforyou:
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    When it comes to leg press, I can bench around 250 lbs around. If you run, it may help slim down the thighs and still improve your leg strength!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just got up to 130lbs this week
  • yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    If you genuinely carry fat in the area, your muscles will burn it off, you also will experience muscle swelling for some time. Don't work the same group 2 days in a row. It will even itself out. I can leg press up to 400 by the way, :) I stick to 350-375 for muscle gain but I am considered obese and need to focus on fat loss befor muscle gain. :)
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My max so far has been 360. I do 3 sets of 8 reps. I reach failure on anything heavier than that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym about 8 months ago (I bought weights for home), so I haven't used a leg press since then, but I typically did about 2x my body weight. I'm sure I could do a lot more now.

Heavy weights didn't make my legs any bigger. A hard workout, however, does lead to some fluid retention and swelling.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can leg press 360lbs for 3x12. My thighs are about 24.5" (I also run and am 6' tall). I've never noticed that lifting heavy makes them larger - not sticking to my diet makes them larger! Darn holidays...
  • brtrentgl
    brtrentgl Posts: 130
    Options
    I can leg press 360lbs for 3x12. My thighs are about 24.5" (I also run and am 6' tall). I've never noticed that lifting heavy makes them larger - not sticking to my diet makes them larger! Darn holidays...
    maybe running would help me, I plan on it, really lol
  • lacyabooboo
    lacyabooboo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish I could press that much!!! Good job girl :) I press 180 at 4X10. I do legs twice a week as well as run, bike, stairs ect daily. I am striving for some strong gams and think you should keep hitting it hard, but that's just me.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Muscle is a good thing :) if you really wanted them smaller you could try eating in deficit for awhile and cut some body fat while maintaining your muscle.
    Some of the size is probably your muscles retaining water for healing purposes also.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    I've gone up to 360 lbs recently, ten reps - it's a large muscle group, so it's good for overall body composition. My thigh measurements haven't changed, but I know I have less fat there than when I lifted less at the same body weight.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I leg press 1x a week and press 645lbs. I've been doing this for years so it's been a gradual increase but my goals are to build muscle so I have NO idea how you'd make your legs thinner.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Isn't it better to do less weight and more of them. Seems like you are just making muscle.
    No it is not....And making muscle is a really good thing - we use it on a daily basis....