Should I only eat 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Seriously overweight and only having to lose 25 lbs is offensive to those who are honestly dealing with that battle. You need to take your girly emotions out of it, suck it up, be honest with yourself and understand that 1,200 calories with a deficit of 400 calories is only giving you 800 calories of food to fuel your body and it is NOT ENOUGH.

Adjust your food choices and dump the pills - they will do nothing for you, unless they are prescribed for health reasons (thyroid/hormonal - etc)
  • JackieDT
    Options
    Hi, being 5'1" 1200 calories seems to be working great for me. My first week was incredible but since then I've been averaging about 2.5-3 lbs per week weight loss. There are lots of tools out there that can suggest how many calories to intake to lose weight (including MFP) but your doctor probably knows best and can give more of a medical/clinical opinion.
  • BJ_Hingley
    BJ_Hingley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate- 1200 claries a day my be too little for you. I found that I lost to begin with on 1200 calories then I stopped losing for 8 weeks the scale didn't budge.... So I upped my calorie budget to 1390 and the weight came off no problem. It was even difficult to try and eat the extra calorlies every day. That is just my story hope it helps you.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Proper fueling is necessary for healthy fat loss.
    Healthy loss yes, but less calories ALWAYS equals more loss. Plateauing dieters put in a controlled environment at the calorie intake they thought they were at lose weight, never heard of this not being the case. Poor record keeping is usually the culprit, but I'll say this again: The metabolic slowdown will almost never keep up with a decrease in calories, the effect is simply not that pronounced in someone with even vaguely normal body chemistry.

My fat is simply from too much pizza and chocolate combined with not enough activity. I'm now eating at 1500 calories and weighing/recording absolutely everything, and most of my liquid intake is diet pepsi, According to MFP I'm running a deficit of around 2400 calories per day and additionally I'm on the treadmill 3-4 times a week and not eating those calories back. Half the posters on here don't know the Krebs cycle from a bicycle but would have you believe I'm not going to lose any weight because my metabolism will slow too much, I'll be craving sweets because of my aspartame intake, and probably grow a second head just from drinking Pepsi. The reality? I feel fine, I'm losing weight hand over fist, I'm not hungry, and I already have more energy than I've had in years. I consulted a dietician and she hasn't told me I need to eat more and I trust her more than I trust someone parroting things on a forum filled with misinformation.
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It depends what your eating! I'm at the 1200 calorie mark because it suits me (did the calorie body Bmi calculater thing and I'm only supposed to be eating 1280 anyway so just stuck at 1200)
    I used to find it extremely hard until I switched to just eating non processed real food, and now I find myself with between 300-100 cals left by the end o the day (when i have exercised as well) and I'm full of energy and full up!
    I'd recommend calculating your threshold and go from there :)
  • tcompton70
    tcompton70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK. Sorry I for not responding sooner. Duty called.... family sick.

I'll try to give more information. I'm 43 and I need to loose 100 lbs. My current goal is 25 lbs. But ultimately I want to loose 100. Don't go by my picture is recent, it but doesn't show the weight as much but believe me it's there. I'm 5' 2" and my currently weight is 210 lbs. I'm a computer programmer so I sit most of my day, which doesn't help. I did go to my doctor to make sure I started things correctly. I bought a heart rate monitor to ensure I was exercising in the correct range the doctor recommended. I rode my bike 5-6 days a week and was burning 350-400 calories for the hour rides I was doing. I trained and even rode in 2 cycling event nearby (49 & 42 miles). So I know my heath has improved, but my weight will not go below 210 lbs.

Right now I know I need to exercise more. I just want to do it right so I get the most out of my workout. :smile:
  • tcompton70
    tcompton70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This would be better if we knew your height/weight and general activity level. Most likely answer is no, but more details would help

I agree...

OP-I find it odd your doctor would say 1200 calories-did they say if you should or shouldn't eat the workout calories back? Check out helloitsdan's post and see what your BMR and TDEE are http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I showed my doctor MFP and asked him if I should keep it at 1200 or include my exercise calories and he said keep it at 1200.