Eaten like a horse to get enough protein..

Options
Can anyone look at my food diary and suggest what I am doing wrong? I NEVER get enough protein that MFP suggests and today I ALMOST made it! But I am over my calories (and...well everything else, too). Any advice on what I could swap in/out of my diet? I understand the value of protein in our diets but I am apparently missing the part about eating the right things for protein.? I love meat but it's expensive so I don't eat it too often.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Fat free cheese. Protein shakes.

If you can get around 90, you're probably doing just fine.
  • mommawarwick
    mommawarwick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    chicken!!!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, and greek yogurt
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I love meat but it's expensive so I don't eat it too often.
    I found chicken breasts on sale at walmart for under $2/lb. Just gotta look for it.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll have to buy some chicken I guess :) and I love eggs! I think I'll have eggs tomorrow for breakfast!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You need to add some lean chicken and or fish to your diet. Just 1 strip of lean chicken or fish is around 100 cal and 22 g of protein. Possibly look into Protein Shakes. I went to the local health store by my house and bought a really good one. It is only 153 calories 2 carbs 1 g of fat and 34 g of protein.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Nuts, whole eggs, tuna salad (mix it with avocado, yum!), turkey, chicken, white fish, salmon, lentils, more lentils, greek yogurt (mix it with berries or with protein powder and some ice and water for a protein shake) or cottage cheese.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started worrying about more than simply my calorie intake. For me, I've ended up including chicken breasts, cottage cheese, eggs, protein shakes, fish, and my special treat, Fage yogurt. I mix honey in with it, one cup gives me 23 g of protein.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm not sure how long you've been on here, but this is an awesome post to get you started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Fish, white, tuna ,prawns etc. & salmon
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    the first thing that stood out to me in your diet was honey nut cheerios. even though they are freakin' awesome, for 240 calories, they provide almost no nutrition. feel free to check out my diary-im vegetarian but manage to get usually from 110-130 g of protein.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is my equilizer. If I'm a little low a couple servings of beef jerky (10-15 grams of protien per serving) usually makes up for it. Plus its cheaper, is lower in calories (typically), and is more natural than protien shakes.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you like, check out my diary for today. I went over my protein and stayed under cals. Today I didn't eat much grain at all and most of my carbs came from fruit. I had eggs, protein powder, Greek yogurt, and pork for my main protein heavy hitters.

I try and eat enough protein because I weight train and am trying to gain muscle.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Being a lazy-*kitten*, protein powder accounts for most of my protein intake.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is my equilizer. If I'm a little low a couple servings of beef jerky (10-15 grams of protien per serving) usually makes up for it. Plus its cheaper, is lower in calories (typically), and is more natural than protien shakes.

Are you making your own? If not, you might be surprised by how many of the seasonings are also ingredients in protein shakes (ie, whey)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    quinoa. it's one of the only non-meat sources that is a complete protein.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Beans are also a pretty good, inexpensive protein source. I like to substitute beans in place of meat sometimes when I make tacos or soups
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try eating less like a horse and more like a jaguar.

That should help.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Looks like the cereal, baked beans and pasta are thowing you over. Try some fat free cheeses, greek yogurt and keeping carbs to smaller portions. You can check my diary.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    does not take much chicken to get your daily protein needs