meal replacement shakes

Options
anybody know of any good ones?

Replies

• Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you mean premade shakes, or recipes for making them at home? My mini blender has been getting a lot of use lately, but I don't recommend the shake I made just now. I went a bit overboard on the protein powder and peanut butter, and it is way too thick. :)
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i mean like the powders that you buy
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what are you working on - losing weight, maintaining, building lean mass, gaining, or just basic convenience/easy meal?
  • djames92
    Options
    its for my brother hes trying to lose weight
  • timfitzy
    timfitzy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, he would be better off eating real food. It will keep him fuller than any shake will, just make sure he gets on to MFP and tracks his food. But if he's sure he wants shakes, have a look into Casein protein (Optimum Nutrition make a good one) - haven't come across anything better in terms satiety for a shake.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it's important to find something that is maintainable for him. i use shakes to supplement my daily diet mainly because of my schedule. i might drink 4 or 5 shakes a week at most. i eat breakfast, have a snack, eat lunch, have a snack, eat dinner, and then have a snack. i will add a shake (around 200 calories) with my morning snack or my evening snack only if i'm really hungry. i don't think that most people can maintain using a shake as a meal for long. while i'm heavier, i'll need more calories per day (even while losing weight) so the shakes supplement that. as i lose weight, i can cut the shakes out and lose calories without losing actual food.

i have been using GNC's lean shake because it was in my calorie range, could be mixed with water, tasted okay, and had lots of vitamins and minerals. my husband is an ectomorph and was researching new shakes (and omg there are so many supps in the house between the two of us... he has three different shakes!) and i was helping him and realized that there were much better options! the lean shake is 180 calories, 2g fat, 4g sugar, and 9g protein (these are the four macros that i pay most attention to for shakes). my husband's syntha 6 (of which the vanilla is DELICIOUS) has 200 calories, 6g fat, 4g sugar, and 22g of protein!! and as timfitzy recommended, optimum nutrition is another favorite for casien protein. the one we have has 130 calories, 1g fat, 2g sugar, and 24g of protein. this is when mixed with water.

protein will keep you fuller longer, so more protein is good. and when i was looking at the fats and sugars, i was like, why am i spending this much more on a 'diet shake' when these other shakes are BETTER?? so now i'm using up the rest of my GNC lean shakes because i paid for them and i can't return them now. but once i'm done with them i'm all over optimum nutrition's casein protein shakes.
  • djames92
    Options
    thank you :p