Heart rate monitors

Options
Does anyone have an opinion on the best (and most comfortable) heart rate monitor to purchase?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7... it has been a great tool!

Look around and see what you can get for your budget. Read reviews online. Ensure you get one with a chest strap and not just the watch as the HRM with chest straps are much more accurate than just the watch ones. Also, keep in mind none will be accurate for weight lifting or low intensity exercise. Also make sure you get one where you can input your sex, age, height and weight to get a count that is as accurate as possible.
  • sjanney007
    Options
    Thanks for the info...will definitely take the advice :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, but I really want the FT7 now. :)

I had a Timex, but it was waaaaay off. After doing some research, I read a bunch of reviews that showed Timex has issues with calculating stats for females. It said I was burning 1500 calories per hour while walking. Um, no. ;) With my Polar, it's more like 350 - 400, which seems much more accurate given my weight and various online calculators I've used.
  • sjanney007
    Options
  • shanematthews2
    shanematthews2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is the BEST investment I have ever made. I love the thing! It has changed how I workout and how hard I push myself. I TOTALLY recommend it!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    good info thanks! I am looking as well because I am hoping to purchase one with my tax refund. I see it does not track sleep like I have seen other models like the fitbit do, do you all just use the one HRM or more than one?
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT40 in white and pink and I do believe it is a very motivating gadget. It keeps track of your previous workouts so you can really see your progress in duration and intensity. Seeing how little or how many calories are burned during certain activities really puts things into perspective. None of the pre-set calculations online come close to how little or how much I actually burn, and it always changes depending on how I feel during the day, what time of day, how tired I am and many other factors. I would highly suggest one of these watches if you are a calorie counter. If counting calories already bothers you somewhat then one of these watches might do the same.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 is the BEST investment I have ever made. I love the thing! It has changed how I workout and how hard I push myself. I TOTALLY recommend it!

I agree!!! After getting my FT7 and seeing how many calories I was burning, what my HR was etc it made me push harder... go longer... try to burn more.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 but the FT4 would work just as well I think. You'll save a little bit buying the FT4. I liked the FT7 color better or I would have done the same.

http://fitnesselectronicsblog.com/polar-ft1-ft2-ft4-ft7-heart-rate-monitors-review/
  • sjanney007
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great reviews.....I want the truest numbers I can get. I can't see really getting an accurate count without one. Excited to get one!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7 too, it's my favourite gadget I use it EVERY day usually several times - couldn't be without it! Only trouble is the female ones come with a strap that fits size m-xxl and it's a tad too big *sigh* ohhh the troubles with getting smaller!
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 today. It was at sears on clearance. They also have the ft7 on clearance. The Polar FT4 was so easy to use I can work it myself. I had no idea how much more I needed to push myself. It was so much fun that I might be over my scale addiction and sleep with my FT4 on. lol
  • Jermski
    Jermski Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Garmin FR70. Works great, plus I can add accessories to it for runs or bike rides!
  • donistenzel
    donistenzel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Replying to this so I can reference it when I'm ready to make my purchase!! Thanks for the info everyone!!:smile:
  • sjanney007
    Options
    I always forget about Sears when it comes to these kinds of products :) Gonna check it out !
  • sjanney007
    Options
    'zookeria' ... I hope to have that problem soon! haha!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft4 here. I love it, have used it/abused it almost daily for a year and the batteries are still working.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    good info thanks! I am looking as well because I am hoping to purchase one with my tax refund. I see it does not track sleep like I have seen other models like the fitbit do, do you all just use the one HRM or more than one?

A HRM is used for dedicated exercise only. You can't wear it all the time like a FitBit. They only work with a significantly elevated HR.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use the suunto t3d. I can upload my workout data to the web which helps me see improvements and over all effectiveness of each workout. It's cool stuff if you're into that kind of info. It's been a great tool for me. Been using it almost a year.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options

A HRM is used for dedicated exercise only. You can't wear it all the time like a FitBit. They only work with a significantly elevated HR.

BTW I wear a fitbit all day and love it. Keeps me moving throughout the day. Another cool device.