HCG shots safe?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    She thinks because she is over 40 that her hormones are causing her to retain fat that hcg shots are the way to go

My mom is 65 and has lost about 20 pounds on MFP. Is it harder as we get older? Yes. But really, people, stop making excuses and get to work.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I had an HCG shot once when I was under going different fertility treatments... I don't understand why that would be given for weight reduction? I gained a *kitten* ton of weight during those treatment! Maybe I'm missing something here? I would say no..
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It's a get quick scam, it works cause you are on like 500 cal a day but everyone I know that sang HCG praises are all now fatter than they were before.
  • 1Whitchick
    Options
    I have to say I'm not surprised that the overwhelming majority think this is a BAD idea! I'm 43, had two children back to back from 38-39, and am changing my eating and exercise habits. I've lost 12 pounds and 12 inches in 2 months. I believe that's the healthy way to lose it and KEEP it off! And when you've worked and controlled yourself and see changes happening in your body as the reward, it motivates you to continue. That's real!
  • skhaun
    skhaun Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank everyone for the responses. I do agree that I will have to approach her carefully so I don't upset her. She has had a lot of trauma recently and I would hate to see her jeopardize her health. Hopefully she will look at MFP and will see slow and steady wins the race in a healthy way. Also if I get more focused - maybe I can show her by example!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Here's an article you can show her:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

Any "doctor" or "medical weight loss clinic" that promotes ANY form of the HCG starvation diet scam is not to be trusted!
  • athodges777
    athodges777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They are safe, but not worth it. I did it about 6 months ago, ate the lower calories and lost 30 lbs in a month. You are not supposed to exercise at all while on this b/c of the low calorie restriction. As soon as I got off of them and started upping my calories, I slowly started gaining the weight back...20 lbs of it to be exact. It's not worth the very expensive price either! I would take it day by day and do it the natural, safe way. I spent $375 just for the shots! It was crazy! Never again!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    it is such a terrible way to go about losing weight. I really do help she does a little research and reconsiders!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My mom did it and not only did she gain sll the weight back, she had major abdominal surgery because thehormone can cause natural cysts to grow abnormally
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No, thank you!

HCG can totally mess with other hormonal levels.

Why destroy a healthy body for a quick fix!?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 ..... eating reasonable portions of healthier food AND moving more each day helped me get rid of 45+ lbs :drinker:
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If your friend already invested the money but changes her mind, maybe she can make them give her a refund!

Good luck!
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My sister took the HCG drops a yr and a half ago and lost 12 pounds in approx a month. She said it was really hard and almost got sick because of it. I know a personal trainer and he said that is not healthy at all. You're not getting all of your vitamins & minerals that you 're suppose to when you're only eating 500 calories a day. Not a good idea.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Don't do it! HCG does NOTHING to make a 500 calorie a day diet safe. The HCG diet is a big rip-off, and the government should close down all the "medical weight loss" clinics and "doctors" that push it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no.