trying to change me

Options
Hi, I am Amanda. I am 35, and weigh 230 lb. I have never been this heavy before, and I don't want to be this big anymore. That's why I have started this life change, but I know I will need help. I am a married mother of 3 and they do not want to change the way they eat, and I have to. So if anyone has any suggestions I could really use them.

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Be he mom! Not their friend or buddy. You buy the food you decide what's in the house. You make the meals (presumably) they should eat the healthy foods you fix or go hungry. I'm not just saying this. I spent 18 years rearing 2 girls deciding I was going to do what was right, not what would make them like me. BE THE MOM!
  • notabiggirl35
    Options
    I also have to be the wife. Grown men are harder to go the take it or leave it route with.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    They can eat the same foods, only in greater quantity than you. Also, offer them extras, like bread and butter on the side, while you stick to the main meal. If my guys really don't like the healthy meal I offer (this happened just the other day, when my delicious pasta with spinach cream sauce went totally unappreciated by the menfolk), I point out that there are turkey hot dogs in the fridge and ice cream in the freezer, so they're unlikely to starve.

Look around for healthy recipes that the whole family will like. EatingWell.com has lots of things my husband and son really like, like the Beef and Bean Chile Verde we had tonight and the Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta we had last night. Hang in there!
  • notabiggirl35
    Options
    I will definitely look at that website thank you.
  • TwinMom0804
    TwinMom0804 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sparkrecipes.com is also a good site for low cal, family friendly recipes.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I used the recipe builder to tweak our favorite meals so I was reducing the calories without sacrificing flavor. Just an example, my SO and I both love tacos so I switched out the 80% ground beef for 93% lean (I don't like turkey, but some people substitute ground turkey as it is healthier), switched to low fat or fat free cheeses and sour cream, and make my own seasoning rather than using the packaged stuff. For chicken dishes, I drastically reduce the amount of butter and add chicken broth/stock instead. There have been no complaints about my cooking! You don't have to sacrifice quality or quantity for lower calories or healthier eating. And if my SO was afraid to try something for fear it was healthy, I reminded him that he was free to cook his own dinner. :smile:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I also have to be the wife. Grown men are harder to go the take it or leave it route with.

Go the "take it or make something else yourself" route, then.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some fantastic recipes too. My family only knows they are healthier recipes because I tell them - not because they taste so different.

I've been able to make small changes to my normal recipes to make them healthier and no one in the family has noticed. I'm sneaky like that. If you don't tell them you changed something, they usually won't notice.
  • momm07
    momm07 Posts: 10
    Options
    Just because you are cooking healthier doesn't mean things need to be tasteless... Try adding garlic and different spices and make things taste good... that way they will like the flavor and start enjoying what they eat. That is what I do and I have a 5 year old son. He's adjusting pretty well and is starting to love the food. It takes time but will work out in the end! I hope you are successful!
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    another thing is to get them involved in choice, not sure if i saw their ages but show them a cook book and ask them to pick something they would like you to try?
  • ccindpls
    Options
    Friend me! Would love to share my sneaky recipes! My husband & son are fit and can eat what ever they want. I have modified lots of meals so we can eat together a family without the fuss.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. You have decided that to be able to serve others you must now serve yourself first. You sound an extremely dedicated family member and mother to your children and now have recognized that your best shot at being their Mom for a long time is to take control of your own being.
    What to do now?
    You have been "in charge" for longer and for more than you know. Take charge again and include yourself.
    You are really already there, just a few small adjustments. They won't leave you or refuse to eat. They might ***** and complain a bit but the net results are worth it, both for your eventual svelte new healthy body and for their cognizance of the possibilities for them.
    Best wishes. Stay the course you set.
  • kristyash60
    Options
    Amanda I absolutely know how you feel. I have just started this journey myself and I also weigh around 230 . I have 2 boys and have the same problem. Friend me and let' s support each other on this journey to being healthy!
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I have been married for 8 years and it took 7 years for my husband to embrace the way I cook. I very, very gradually changed what he was used to (using ground turkey instead of beef, baking french fries in the oven, having a meat and two veggies for dinner) and now, he completely embraces "healthier" eating and wants our diets to be as "clean" as possible. I endured a lot of "honey, I just don't think this is a good recipe" and our agreement was if the family voted no, that recipe got thrown out.

Start with one or two changes - even one or two "healthy" meals in your rotation - and when you make those, make extra so you can keep eating that if they "need" an unhealthier option the next lunch or dinner. Limit the processed snacks you buy and search for healthier recipes for cookies (search for coconut cookies) or coffee cake (lighten up blueberry coffee cake with yogurt) to satisfy their sweet tooth. You will spend more time in the kitchen until you find recipes that work for your family, but you will eventually get into a groove where you know what to make, how to make enough of it so you cut down on prep time and how to use the healthiest ingredients to get the best taste.

Good luck!
  • racechick2
    Options
    Changing things at home will benefit you now...and your kids in the future...teaching them to eat healthy now willhelp them from struggling with the same issues later in life...as for your husband...what worked for me was telling him that I wanted us to live a long healthy life together...starting with our eating habits...sometimes it helps to show a few tears....lol...that usually gets to them too...knowing you are serious about it...
  • nlhruns
    nlhruns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    friend me too! I know how hard it is with my 4 kids and a skinny husband who can eat whatever he wants. My motto is : if I cook then I get to decide how and what is cooked. They all have adapted and finally are starting to see that they need to choose healthy foods even if their weight is fine. I've recently discovered smoothies. I love drinking a healthy smootiey for breakfast and then eat a nice loaded salad for lunch. I can eat the same as everyone else for dinner as long as it's fairly healthy. I'd love to encourage you along the way. :)