How big do I look to other people?

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    At my biggest I was 238, which is OBESE at my height, 5'6, and I truly did not look that big to myself. Then I saw a photo! I was like O_o (you can see the offending photo in my profile, I look like an effing green M&M)

Now that I'm no longer obese and much smaller (161.4) I think I look ok and the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I could stop losing weight, be satisfied with where I'm at now. But then again, I see photos and I'm like Oh no supplemama, you really do need to get down to goal weight. LOL!
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always knew I was big but also believed that I'm not "that big".
    It would hit me when looking at pictures of me and my slim friends - then I could see: "yeah, I'm BIG".

It took me long time to sort out my emotional eating but I think I'm on right track now!
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    I once went to an event where all the guys were given team shirts to wear. One of the team members was a big dude. Yeah, you look at him and your first impression is "fat guy."

I later saw some pictures of the event, and there was one that was chest-down. I thought to myself, "there's the big dude. Wait...that's my belt. That's me...."

That was disconcerting. Are people seeing me that way? Do they think that about me? Uh, yeah, they do. And they should because it's true.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    So yah if you want to see how you really look to other people, have someone take pics of you. From different angles.
  • raisinette31
    raisinette31 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mybodygallery.com
    They have a website for that...I will try to find it. You can enter your height and weight and see pics of others.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For me, it's how big do I look to myself... I feel like the ballerina hippo in Fantasia. I take pictures and it's even worse. I took a look at MyBodyGallery, and it makes me feel worse x2. Blergh.
  • amandacrowder
    amandacrowder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pictures. I always see a different me in the mirror. When I look at pictures, I am reminded that the "fluffy me" I see in the mirror each day is completely different to others. :(
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Let's just say you appear to have a BMI of roughly 29 or greater.

^^ this
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Let's just say you appear to have a BMI of roughly 29 or greater.

^^ this

Sorry but 29 is generous. I'd sayd most definitely over 30 - actually probably around 35. Obese. Mean huh? But I was there once too, I was 5'4" and 198lb and I thought I was just overweight, it was a wakeup call when I realised I was obese. I still thought I looked smaller than I was, I hated most photos but in the mirror I looked fine, I told myself I had a big frame and that I would look fantastic if I lost just 15kg. I've lost more than double that, I'm 350g away from goal, 4.35kg away from Ultimate Goal. Now I'm the opposite, I look at my size 2/3 clothes and think 'no way will I fit into those'. I see myself in full body photos, even in unflattering positions, and I'm happy with them.

You are beautiful as you are but you aren't healthy, and you've done the right thing chosing to change that.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Don't need any pictures. I just stand nude in front of mirror and force myself to look. LOOK! All of a sudden, 5'9" and 238 lbs. doesn't look that good on me!
  • Let's just say you appear to have a BMI of roughly 29 or greater.

^^ this

Sorry but 29 is generous. I'd sayd most definitely over 30 - actually probably around 35. Obese. Mean huh? But I was there once too, I was 5'4" and 198lb and I thought I was just overweight, it was a wakeup call when I realised I was obese. I still thought I looked smaller than I was, I hated most photos but in the mirror I looked fine, I told myself I had a big frame and that I would look fantastic if I lost just 15kg. I've lost more than double that, I'm 350g away from goal, 4.35kg away from Ultimate Goal. Now I'm the opposite, I look at my size 2/3 clothes and think 'no way will I fit into those'. I see myself in full body photos, even in unflattering positions, and I'm happy with them.

You are beautiful as you are but you aren't healthy, and you've done the right thing chosing to change that.

Ur right, my bmi is actually 37.. and yes you're right again I am obese. but I'm glad I "appear" to be 29 to someone lmao :-)
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yup. Me totally. There is a reason why I stopped taking pictures of myself. You just start to KNOW.
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I 5'3" tall, 162-164 lb but I see myself as big as I am 185+ :(. I don't like my pictures, especially taking with my friends that mostly weigh less than 135#. My pictures motivate me to work harder.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I look at myself daily, anx really I dont seem that fat, to myself. Im 5'8", 240lbs, large bone frame, but how.would I beBle to see myself thru.anotherz eyes...???

Since you are asking, I will tell you the truth. You are big.

We are the same height. Our weight should be anywhere up to 160 max.
  • Kgtweight1
    Options
    Hello,
    I understand your question because I ask this myself. During the holidays, a friend of the family made sure to tell me that she thought my face was still pretty, but I gained so much weight. Also, she said that she would make sure to tell some of my friends that I grew up with that I had gotten so big. It is one my motivations to reduce my weight. I am afraid of seeing more people from my younger years and hearing their comments. Also, I do not like to take photos.
  • I look at myself daily, anx really I dont seem that fat, to myself. Im 5'8", 240lbs, large bone frame, but how.would I beBle to see myself thru.anotherz eyes...???

Since you are asking, I will tell you the truth. You are big.

We are the same height. Our weight should be anywhere up to 160 max.

164 ;-) thats where im headed!! Im giving it a year, hopefully sooner lol but I wanna lose it healthy!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, I think you look overweight but not huge...

I see myself as much larger than I look in pictures. I think it has to do with the fact that we are "our own worst critic". We tend to be much more forgiving of others flaws than of our own.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I got the wake up call when i went to the doctor, and weighed in at 215. I was shocked and disgusted - I had no idea I had gotten that big, and was in such denial it was sick.

The person I saw in the mirror was much smaller from the person I saw in pictures, and who I caught glimpses of in department store windows.

I had never tried to diet to lose weight, or restrict calories. I started Weight Watchers. It was a godsend. While I restricted my intake, I never felt deprived, and felt like I enjoyed my food so much more. I now see a skinny person in both the mirror and in pictures.
  • Since you asked, I think you look overweight but not huge...

I see myself as much larger than I look in pictures. I think it has to do with the fact that we are "our own worst critic". We tend to be much more forgiving of others flaws than of our own.

It wasn't on purpose have a touch screen phone which happens to be broke
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I've lost the weight and am where I should be, but every time I see myself, whether it be a picture or in the mirror, I still see my old overweight body. It's been this way for nearly a year, I really thought by now it would change, but it hasn't. Maybe my weight loss hasn't changed my body as much as I thought.