So heres my dliema..lol

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Going out to dinner tonight with the sis,mom,and auntay. which is really nice cuz we havent all hung out in a long time like this, We're going to ruby tuesdays which has a good selection on their healthy choice section of the menu. I was looking at a grilled chicken wrap thing and broccoli which would go over a little 500 cals. So thats what I WAS planning on getting but now I'm thinking should I just get something that I really would def enjoy..like a burger and fries which would be like 1300 cals total or soemthing like that(im rounding up) and just not eat the whole thing. LIke only eat half and then it would be about the same cals as the wrap but i would get to meals out of it.

Whatcha think?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No. You've had a bad week and you've gotta start somewhere to getting back on track.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Me thinks that you already know the answer and are looking for an official go-ahead to have fries.

Have fun :bigsmile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    What about having a side salad with ranch dressing, blue cheese or balsamic vinegar, grilled steak or chicken breast and steamed veggies????

Protein and veggies is the healthiest way to go when eating out any where.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think you should stick with the first choice - It's not just about the calorie count but also about the nutrional value of the food you're eating. So you can eat 650 calories of simple carbs (aka sugar) and fat with very little protien, as opposed to 500-ish calories of higher protien and lots of vitamin packed veggies.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. You know how your eating habbits and workout habbits ahve been this month. You know the difference in the caloric values between the wrap and teh burger. You have to ask yourself if the extra work you will have to put in to burn off the burger and fries are worth it to you.

Also think of how you will feel after you eat the burger vs the wrap. I'm not only talking possible eaters remourse, but will you feel bloated from all the carbs and sodium? Are you going to feel lethargic because of the lack of nutrition from that meal vs veggies?

It your call.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Well I researched more on what my dream meal would be lol. Heres the breakdown

The wrap with some brocolli would be like 550ish.
    BUT If i get what i want whiich is a crispy club sandwich and fries thats 1319 cals. BUT I would eat half which would be 659 cals. I would box up half right away. Which after eating breakfast that will leave me with 330 calories for lunch.... I dont know. You are allll right and I apprectiate your honesty.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have been craving Ruby Tuesday and we are going tomorrow. They have a FABULOUS salad bar and I'm going to bring my own dressing!!!
    Have a great time!! I'm sure you'll make smart choices.
    P.S. if you sign up online at ruby tuesday, you'll get an instant buy one get one free coupon in your email. that's what i did yesterday. And as much as I would love to have something really yummy, i'm sticking with the salad bar because I've been struggling lately.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    its a tough call. Personally for me this isn't a diet but a lifestyle change. And I know some people on here have decided to do the same but are more strict then myself and feel that their lifestyle should ALWAYS be good chocies and healthy. I try to make mine that way most of the time but honestly if I really wanted the burger and didn't have it I may not stick to this change. My birthday was last week and Sat we went out for all you can eat sushi, tuesday (my actual bd) my hubby brought home some amazing takeout (definatly not low in cals or sodium) and wed I had the leftovers. Usually if I splurge its only once in a week not three ;) But you know for me it works. I'm still loosing, I'm sticking with it which is some thing I've never done this long before. and I'm not feeling deprived. I'm sure I'll hit the wall where I stop loosing and need to be even more careful but for now this is working for me. And if tomorrow I get on the scale and I've not lost or gained because of my BD week you know what.. there are plently more weeks in the year, I'll make up for it, because I am sticking with it, maybe with a few detours on the way :) Have a great night regardless of your choice
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    You just have to look at how you've been this week and this month...if you have eaten well and exercised a lot, go for the club sandwich or burger. If you have splurged a lot, then think about the self control factor....remember that each of these small decisions adds up to your lifestyle.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Will you really feel better if you splurge? If you can honestly say you'll feel okay w/your choice tomorrow, go for it. If not, don't do it. You'll feel disappointed w/yourself. Hope this helps. I know it's tough! Believe me...:sad:
  • manderpander22
    Options
    I say order what you are in the mood for. I go out to eat once a week and get whatever I want. I work out hard and count my calories all week. You have to give yourself a treat once in a while. If I didn't get my Olive Garden fix once a week I would never be able to stay motivated enough to keep up with it. I have lost a total of 67 pounds, 63 pounds before I joined MFP obviously. Either way tomorrow is another day so don't beat yourself up.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like the thought (got it on MFP) of getting the 'to-go' box upfront with your meal. Divide the meal put HALF in the box and enjoy the rest.

Plus remember it's the company and the event not the eating and the food....
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Last night I ended up at a local restaurant and ordered a sandwich with fries. Haven't had "real" fries in a while and let me tell you, how I felt afterword made me regret the choice of fries. I felt bloated and I had to pick up my 20 lb. cat and carry him about 20 feet and I was breathless after doing that. Ridiculous, that shouldn't make me breathless on a normal day.

You know the "right" answer to this question. The question is, are you willing to accept it? Or are you willing to continue making poor choices and regretting the outcome?
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    stick with the chicken! haha you know if you get that burger and fries you wont be able to eat just half...i never can thats why i try not to go anywhere near there! lol
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    you can't just think about calories... what about fat? sodium? carbs?
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    No. Don't do it. You've been struggling. You're most likely going to eat the entire thing & tell yourself you can work it off tomorrow. You've got to take a stand. Either your doing this or you're not. All that extra sodium is going to add like 3lbs & then your going to flip out. You know the right decision, now find the will to do it.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    No matter what you do, just please do NOT step on the scale tomorrow. Your weight WILL be up temporarily, I can almost guarantee it. Whichever meal you choose is probably going to have a lot of sodium in it just because that's how restaurant food is.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Once you say okay I will eat this yummy thing who knows you may start to eat out of the to go box lol or even order desert after-wards. go ahead and put both choices in your food plan and see which one makes you happy. I also look at it like this, after you stop eating unhealthy you will stop craving unhealthy so opening this door will only make you crave this sandwich tomorrow or the next day and then it will be torture! SOOOO if you always eat healthy and continue to eat healthy your body will WANT to eat healthy even when all of your friends and family are chowing down on fries....summer is here girl, eat right!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Did/do you watch Friends? If so, remember the episode where the girls starting flicking eachother on the forehead for being dumb?

I want to flick your forehead. Girl! You do this to yourself CONSTANTLY! You keep going out and look for ways to justify things that you know will work against you. The high calorie food is only going to make one spot of you feel good, the hedonistic taste bud. Otherwise, you're going to feel sluggish, jittery, bloaty, and unsatisfied because you put crappy fuel into your body. I'm glad that you are looking at a way to reduce your caloric intake, but it's so much more than just whatt the calorie count is. It's ALSO what the calories come from!

I've been playing with this demon for a long time and it's finally clicking. I thought that calorie count was what was important, carb count, fat count, you name it, I've played with it. By listening to my body and paying attention to what it does after I eat certain things, I know what I don't need. And I bet you anything, you don't need a pile of greasy carbs and a white grain with its protein, fiber and nutrients stripped out of it. Or, try it and see how you feel! ;)

Good luck chica! You'll figure this out. I have much faith in you!
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    I've noticed that you have this dillema a lot. Maybe if you stuck to healthy foods you would actually learn to enjoy them too? I know that I look forward to healthier things a lot more now that I have them as a regular part of my diet. Whatever you decide, good luck!