[Women] Lifting Weights

Options
Hi!

Questions for those of you who include weight lifting as part of your fitness routine-- to tone up, not bulk up:

Which machines do you include in your circuits?
How many sets/reps of each?
How often do you do this and is it on the same days as your cardio?

I'm 5'4", 192.2, but was pretty muscl-y and toned growing up-- pretty sure most of that has turned to fat by now :(

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 4 days a week. I do not use machines. I use barbells, dumbbells, and the cables (and some body weight exercises).

Mondays I do Chest and Back exercises...bench press, cable flys, push-ups, pull-ups, and rows.
    Tuesdays I do Legs and Calves exercises...barbell squats, walking lunges, split squats, deadlifts, calf raises
    Thursdays I do Shoulders and Biceps/Triceps exercises...military press, lateral raises, rear delt raises, bicep curls, tricep extensions
    Saturday I start the series over again with Chest and Back so on Monday I do Legs and so on...

Right now I do 3 sets of each exercise with 60 seconds of rest in between sets. I aim for 8-12 reps unless I am working on abs and calves where I go for about 15-20 reps each. I lift as heavy as I possibly can so that I can't do any more than 12 reps total. If I can do 13 reps, I add more weight. If I can't even do 8 reps, I take away weight.

I do cardio on the days in between the weight lifting, but never on the same day (personal preference).

You will NOT "bulk up" doing this unless you eat at a surplus, take steroids, and workout for hours a day everyday. Do NOT ever be afraid of "bulking up" because you won't do it unless you try.

I've been lifting for YEARS and my profile picture was taken 2 weeks ago.

Muscle does NOT turn into fat. They are 2 separate tissues. What happens is you gain fat and your muscle atrophies.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm second week into Stronglifts 5x5, which is weights 3 times a week using Barbells!

Cardio, once or twice a week!

(I used to do cardio everyday, but it stopped working for me - So I've upped calories and now doing weights!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've always worked out with weights since i've been an adult so although i started off 80 pounds overweight, i had quite a bit of lean body mass from all those years of (unintentional) bulking :laugh:

my goal now is to preserve as much of that muscle mass while i lose the blubber, so i mainly do compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc and a few isolation exercises for my shoulders as rehab. i do 5 sets of 5 reps on days when i'm working out close to my 1 rep max and 3 sets of 8-12 on days when i'm working in the mid range of my 1 RM

i also dont use machines because they aren't efficient for my current goals.

i mainly do cardio on my non lifting days
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm excited to start incorporating some light weights in next week. I thnk I'm going to do ti on my cardio off days, starting with a light circuit of someo of what each of you have mentioned. :)
  • JessXOVanity
    Options
    I suggest you read this article:

http://www.leangains.com/2012/10/train-like-man-look-like-goddess.html

It pretty much summarises everything I would have said anyway! :)

I've been lifting weights for a while now with my husband who bodybuilds, with his help as a spotter I try to lift my maximum one-reps and it feels great! I agree with Lyadeia in that unless women are TRYING to "bulk up" with the help of testosterone etc they never will... you will get lean but never muscly like a man

Strength training also helps burn fat as the amount of calories/energy it takes for your body to just maintain the muscle you've built works towards burning off calories... so the more muscle/lean body mass you have, the easier will your weight loss be....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm excited to start incorporating some light weights in next week. I thnk I'm going to do ti on my cardio off days, starting with a light circuit of someo of what each of you have mentioned. :)

I think you may have misread their responses to your post
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

umm'kay