Rest days?

Options
I've started incorporating weights into my workouts, and I know most people recommend a rest day between.

My problem is, I work 12 hour shifts 3 or 4 times a week, so I can only make it to the gym the other days. Trust me, I'm not going after work, I'd fall asleep there! Most of the time my days off are in blocks of 2 or 3, so if I skipped the gym once for a rest day I'd only be able to do it 2 times a week. I was just wondering what people think of doing it 2 days in a row so that I can still fit it in? I know it's not ideal, but at the moment it seems to be my only option.

Please don't suggest going before or after work though! I'm a nurse, I work my bum off, I really just don't have the energy for the gym after a day at work! On those days I usually go for a walk/jog on my break (if I get one!) just to keep myself moving.

Replies

• Top_Hat_82
    Top_Hat_82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much of a problem, it's better to fit it when you can, and allow your body to recover for the rest of the week. I have done consecutive days with weight training and that was on the advice of a personal trainer!
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Understanding the nature of your job and working strange shifts and therefore foregoing the usual advice that is handed out. May I recommend that you add more resistance to your daily work. You could consider buying a weight vest at work increasingly adding more weight to the vest. I know it sounds cruel but it may be a solution.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Why not alternate upper body and lower body?
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options

It's a good idea, but I'd only get 2 days a week at the most for each if I did that
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Understanding the nature of your job and working strange shifts and therefore foregoing the usual advice that is handed out. May I recommend that you add more resistance to your daily work. You could consider buying a weight vest at work increasingly adding more weight to the vest. I know it sounds cruel but it may be a solution.

I have to be able to move quickly at work, I work in a hospital for people with mental health problems, so I need to run if anything happens, and don't think I could with a weight vest. Thank you for the idea though, my job is a nightmare when I'm trying to be healthier lol
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Olympic athletes train daily. Train as you can. Most people will never come near where there bodies cannot handle it.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

It's a good idea, but I'd only get 2 days a week at the most for each if I did that

There is nothing wrong with doing each body part 2 days a week. There are many programs that are set up that way.

I work 12 hour days, too. I usually go to the gym before work. I would rather get up at 2:30 in the morning than go after work.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You could get yourself some resistance bands and take them with you on your break to get a wee workout in on work days. I swear by mine!
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are great, you can do loads of them all day and you don't need special equipment or clothing...

Try:
    Crunches, press-up, planks, pull-ups, lunges, squats, resistance bands are good too - they are light-weight and easy to carry. You can also get a good work-out with a park bench too in a lunch-time or evening.

Baby wipes and some spray on smellies will do if you want to stay fresh.

BTW: what are you looking for to improve the way you look or to build strength bulk... cos if you want to improve the way you look, you'll never need to go to the gym as body weight exercises and a few dumbbells at home will do (if you have room you could use a bench and a barbell)