Cholesterol Help

Options
I have done a pretty good job at lowering my triglycerides, but my cholesterol is still too high. I need some ideas to lower my cholesterol....any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight loss will help with your ratio of HDL/LDL. What does too high mean, HDL should be high.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree - stay on your weight loss track and it should fall into normal ranges - unless you are one of those unlucky skinny people with high cholesterol.

I got mine from 500+ to normal in 70 pounds
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, last year my cholesterol was 204. This year it was 220 even though I've lost 20+ pounds.
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    I am pretty sure that cholesterol is produced in the liver from the fats we consume, I would say really watching yand lowering your intake on high fat foods would help. We only need a small amount of healthy unsaturated fats a day....I think the major cause is from the saturated and trans fats. Maybe do some research into that! That is what I understand from it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    TOTAL cholesterol might not be as important as TOTAL LDL and/or the ratio of the two. HDL (the "good" kind") should be as high as most people can get it. 40 at least. LDL (the "bad" kind) should be as low as possible. Preferably under 100. However, some studies are showing it's more about the ratio of TOTAL Cholesterol to "good". With the aim being 3.5:1, but anything better than 5:1 isn't being shown by studies to raise cardiovascular disease risk. To find your ratio, divide your TOTAL cholesterol by your "good" HDL number.

If you have 220 total and your HDL is 20, then you have a ratio of 11:1. But if your HDL is 55, then you have a ratio of 4:1, which means even though your "bad" cholesterol might be above 100, your ratio is well within the range not shown to increase cardiovascular risk.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/finding-the-ideal-cholesterol-ratio
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-ratio/AN01761

[Edited to fix some H/L typos]
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You can lower your cholesterol by 25% with diet and exercise the other 75% is produced my your body. So if your like me, border line high cholesterol, there is only so much you can do without medication. Which personally I refuse to take but my doctor keeps on insisting/pushing on me.
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with below comments, along with possibly a stronger focus on what you eat for meals. You say you lost weight, but I didn't see if it was with exercise or mainly diet. Exercise is must, along with nutritional habits. Certain foods might help lower ...oatmeal, etc. ; might try to incorporate some of these in eating habits if not already doing it.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid taking statins for as long as you can. The studies from the drug manufacturers used some "funny" math to promote their products. When someone tells you that you have a 20% better chance of surviving if you take a certain drug, most people think something like, if I take the drug there is only a 10% chance that I will die and if I don't then I have a 30% chance of dying. Seems like an easy choice until you realize that the real numbers are something like 6% vs. 7.2%. Yup, that is a 20% difference but should never have been accepted as anything more than a negligible difference.
  • radioactivesqrl
    Options
    There are certain things you can change in your diet and your doctor should have provided you some guidance. Salmon and flax are really good to help cut out some of the LDL. Eggs, butter and cheese are some of the worst sources of cholesterol so try to avoid consuming much dairy. Obviously fried foods are really bad for cholesterol.

In the end, you'll probably see more benefit from the standard diet and exercise.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Raising your HDL also might be important, if it's low right now. Some people find success at raising their HDL by eating things like oatmeal, whole grains, almonds, walnuts, fish oils, flax seeds.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl-cholesterol/CL00030
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that cholesterol is produced in the liver from the fats we consume, I would say really watching yand lowering your intake on high fat foods would help. We only need a small amount of healthy unsaturated fats a day....I think the major cause is from the saturated and trans fats. Maybe do some research into that! That is what I understand from it.
    Actually as far as diet is concerned, everything influences our cholesterol levels, not just fat. If we wanted to just lower our cholesterol we could just eat refined carbs and sugar, that does a good job doing that, but that doesn't mean that's what we should do. There's much more to it.

For example, in LDL cholesterol there's different particle sizes and the small dense ones are atherogenic, the ones to watch out for. Two people could have identical LDL of 100 and one could have 3 times as many particles, that isn't what we want. High triglycerides and low HDL is the quick way your Dr can determine whether someone has ApoB/Lp(a) type particles and it's extremely accurate, and of course if someone has higher HDL and low triglcyreides then they more than likely have mostly the larger more buoyant LDL particles which are less atherogenic and some say protective, which I quess you could when looking at the alternative. Those refined carbs and sugar I mentioned actually lower HDL cholesterol and lower LDL but also increase triglycerides and increase ApoB type lipoproteins, not good at all, even though it lowered out total cholesterol.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am not at all a cholesterol expert (which is why I posted the question....).

My Total cholesterol is 220
    My HDL is 43 which I thought was okay...but, I guess could be higher
    My LDL cholesterol is 148
    My ratio is 5.1

I have lost the weight mainly through diet, but with some exercise (about 3 times a week).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight loss will help with your ratio of HDL/LDL. What does too high mean, HDL should be high.

This is true and to add to the above comment. There are different types of LDL and if it is the fluffy LDL, it is not dangerous to the body if it is high. Only small particle vLDL is harmful.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    To the OP, sit down and read this article..........

Written by a heart surgeon. http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Sorry, but saturated fat has nothing to do with causing heart disease or high cholesterol.

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease
  • shannond113
    shannond113 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was also told I have high cholesterol and convinced my doctor to give me 3 months to lower it without being on medication. Agree with previous poster that there are too many unknowns and side effects in pharmaceuticals. I was advised to take red yeast rice (a natural statin) and saw that it needed to be taken in conjunction with Co-Q10 and with a meal that had some fat in it. Start eliminating animal products-meat, cheese,etc and eat more plant based foods. Become best friends with high fiber foods (oatmeal) and Omega-3s. My issue was that the high fiber foods are also higher in calories, so you just need to balance the rest of your day. Hope this helps and if you have any other advice I would love hearing it!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some serious research lately as my father was diagnosed with heart disease and required a stent.
    According to Dr. Esselstyn it is very important to keep all fats very low (about 10% of total calories) and eliminating animal products.
    there are alot of other doctors supporting this advice too.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    According to my endocrinologist, Triglycerides change first... then otal cholesterol will change gradually in the order of HDL and the LDL. The first 3 months of my change I went from Triglycerides that were high to having them become relatively non-existant and my total cholesterol was better, good was getting higher and bad was going lower... how long have you been monitoring?
  • joe18401
    joe18401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is about 220 also. I refused to be 31 years old and on Lipitor or some other drug like that at such a young age. Diet( eating the rigth foods ie spinach, oatmeal, kale, fruits, salmon, chicken, and other low fat foods), excercise, and red yeast rice pills (over the counter at any cvs or walgreens) has helped me get down to 196 in 4 months.
  • brajorie
    brajorie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Leading causes of high cholestorol is from animal products. Try to introduce more fruits and veg's and whole grains, and eat less meat, even try implementing tofu as an option over meat. Watch the movie Forks Over Knives, it sheds some good insight into a whole foods plant based diet. Just because we look like we are in good shape we never know what's going on inside of our body. My dad had a heart attack a few years ago and he was in better shape than me, so you just never know.