emotionally fragile

Options
Now i dont know how to word this, so i will just go for it

Im not in a very good place emotionally, and 0ver the last two years my weight has fluctuated hugely, depending on how i have been feeling.

Its hard to follow a eating plan.... i know excuses excuses... but does anyone have any suggestions.... i really wanna lose 10 kg... but am defo an emotional eater... :-(

Anyone else the same, friend me... or give me some advice. :-)

Replies

• fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Read 'food: the good girl's drug'... And prepare to spend a lot of time and energy training your mind and body into new habits for dealing with strong emotions..
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You can always try to look at it this way. Eating right and exercise is one of the best things you can do for your emotions and your body. I think if you tell yourself that you are doing this for your emotional health you will be more willing to follow through. Taking a good walk or a jog outside can really help clear the mind. If you can get outside try some of the DVDs.

My other suggestion is to come here regularly and get to know some of the others. When you have your own cheerleading squad cheering you on, it really does help

Best of luck to you
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Best thing I can recommend is choose some very close friends to confide in, their support will amaze you.

And hard as it is go and see a doctor. I avoided it for years and deteriorated further and further, until I hit rock bottom. They were able to prescribe anti depressants (which I have since reached a point where I am able to come off of them) and counselling (probably cognitive behavioural therapy). I'm not going to say am completely there right now, or that anti-d's are right for everyone, but i'm in a lot better place than have been for years, and I know I don't have to hide my feelings cos I have people there to talk to.

And focusing my mind on the weight loss and fitness goal has helped, takes your mind away from the negative thoughts to some extent, not to mention the effect of endorphins and other chemicals/hormones in the body.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I was in the exact same place as you when I started. The BEST thing you can do for your emotional health is cardio exercise! I can't tell you how much better I've felt emotionally, mentally, and physically since I've started exercising every day. I've learned to make it a must at least 5 times a week for at least 35 minutes, but usually a little over an hour. Just getting lost in some great music while jamming on the elliptical is a great escape and a natural antidepressant. Trust me, it's sooooo worth it! Plus, it gives you the added bonus that if you do emotionally eat, you have those extra calories burned off from exercise. It's a win-win situation.

Also, I don't know if this is true for everybody, but drinking a lot of water really makes me mentally clearer.

Good luck hon.
  • moozak
    moozak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Emotion is there to be felt. It only becomes a problem when we stuff it down and use other things to mask it. I don't mean self talk. That lies most of the time. Real sadness or fear or grief won't kill us and we will eventually stop crying.

I have moved through layers and levels of emotions that I thought I would never see the end of. Apparently if you free fall into the void and just let it be it takes less time. Otherwise the emotions emerge in ways that are destructive.

A journal might help to give some insight into what is driving you to eat.

Feel fre to call out anytime for anything,
    Kaz
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same place as you when I started. The BEST thing you can do for your emotional health is cardio exercise! I can't tell you how much better I've felt emotionally, mentally, and physically since I've started exercising every day. I've learned to make it a must at least 5 times a week for at least 35 minutes, but usually a little over an hour. Just getting lost in some great music while jamming on the elliptical is a great escape and a natural antidepressant. Trust me, it's sooooo worth it! Plus, it gives you the added bonus that if you do emotionally eat, you have those extra calories burned off from exercise. It's a win-win situation.

Also, I don't know if this is true for everybody, but drinking a lot of water really makes me mentally clearer.

Good luck hon.

THIS ^^^ I'm 4x a week