Weight Loss

Options
Hi guys,

I'm feeling ridiculous but when im inputting my calories etc it's saying it's too few calories than it should be. but i feel like i'm eating alot already without hitting the calorie goal.

Are you meant to hit it exactly, or are you aiming to be below it?

any help would be appreciated. i'm all new to this.

I'm 6ft and weigh almost 15 stone.... soo unhealthy and need to take action

Replies

• omalichand
    omalichand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your goal is 1200, if so you should be aiming to hit it, plus eating back exercise cals. I'm 5'5 and eat a minimum of 1600, you should really up your calories
  • Jem97
    Jem97 Posts: 54
    Options
    It all depends on what your calorie goal is, if you mean you're eating below 1200, then definitely eat more. According to your BMR, 1,806, you should eat around that many calories, although you could go as low as 1500. Note that I'm talking about total calories, not your net amount
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes, the idea is to hit the goal.

If you're having trouble eating that much, then aim for more calorie-dense foods such as nuts, nut butters, seeds, cheese, avocados, adding olive oil to salads, or cooking with oil, full fat dairy etc. It can be easier to drink your calories in the form of smoothies, protein shakes, milk, nut milks etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm feeling ridiculous but when im inputting my calories etc it's saying it's too few calories than it should be. but i feel like i'm eating alot already without hitting the calorie goal.

Are you meant to hit it exactly, or are you aiming to be below it?

any help would be appreciated. i'm all new to this.

I'm 6ft and weigh almost 15 stone.... soo unhealthy and need to take action

If your goal is to get an "A" in a class, do you aim to get below it?

Yes, you should aim to meet your goal +/- 100 calories, yes you can go over too. Aiming to cut calories more than what is suggested can cause issues.. muscle loss, weight loss plateau, etc..
  • emmajdoc
    Options
    I am exercising. I've joined a fitness class once a week. and bought myself an exercise bike so aiming to do go on for at least half an hour every night.

I have been eating healthily and well, and even trying to increase the portions. i will get there eventually, just alot of hard work put in to it.

I didn't know if the goals on the website were what the daily recommended amount should be or if this was the goal that ensured you lost weight.

Thanks
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I try to look at the original MFP number as a minimum and the net total as a maximum. I allow this flexibility in part because I am guestimating all my calories burned from databases, rather than using a heart rate monitor.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am exercising. I've joined a fitness class once a week. and bought myself an exercise bike so aiming to do go on for at least half an hour every night.

I have been eating healthily and well, and even trying to increase the portions. i will get there eventually, just alot of hard work put in to it.

I didn't know if the goals on the website were what the daily recommended amount should be or if this was the goal that ensured you lost weight.

Thanks
    If you set up your account to lose weight then when you add exercise you should eat some extra calories. Also with 50 lbs to lose you should be aiming for 1-1.5 lbs per week. A few things i would recommend, first adjust macros to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you arent a huge carb person, you can decrease them and add more fats.

In terms of exercise, take 1-2 days off a week.. rest is just as important as exercise and you don't want to over train and hurt results. And if you can add resistance training to your routine switch between riding a bike and resistance training. Rt will help maintain your muscle mass. This essentially will help cut fat and maintain muscle which means you will need to lose less weight to achieve a tight body.

Cliff notes: get 2-3 days of resistance training, 2 days on bike and 1 class.
  • emmajdoc
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for this.
    I know i will get there, determination is the key!

Thanks again, you've been a great help!

:)