Protein and Oatmeal

Options
Bean615
Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
Hello all! I have been eating oatmeal, a protein shake and coffee for breakfast, however, I decided to put the protein into my oatmeal. It just makes more sense. My issue is I cannot get the right consistency. Does anyone have any tricks for when they mix their protein and oatmeal? I know you are not supposed to put the protein into the microwave bc it separates the protein from the oatmeal, i have not done this. Please help.

Replies

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Sorry, disregard my post..i thot you were microwaving them together...add more water?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Why not just make porridge using skimmed milk - seems a whole lot easier. 1 cup rolled oats to twice that of milk, it'll thicken as it nears the boil.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I always put three eggs whites into my oatmeal and put it in the microwave and then add hot water to it to mix it more. Is this bad? = / I love it...

edit: I cook the egg whites in the pot first, and then the microwave because i like it hot, and while i prepare my oatmeal, it turns cold or not as hot as i like....so i zap it for a minute.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why not just make porridge using skimmed milk - seems a whole lot easier. 1 cup rolled oats to twice that of milk, it'll thicken as it nears the boil.

Cause she wants the protein powder WITH it!? Haha
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of chia seeds and almonds into my oatmeal after it's cooked. Lots of added protein and fiber.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make an oatmeal protein pancake that is really delicious. I use 1 instant oatmeal packet any flavor with 2 eggs and a scoop of protein powder, 1tbl of water, almnond milk, or milk. You can put in chocolate chips, fruits, nuts etc.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    overnight oats. instead of cooking the oats (if you can eat it raw, do it! raw is better!) leave them to soak overnight with water and your protein powder. 1 cup raw oats + 1 cup water.
    :)
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too and this is what works best for me:

1) I microwave the fruit I'm putting in for ~1 minute so it gets mushy
    2) Add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    3) Add 1 cup of water
    4) Microwave for 2 minutes (it takes 2 1/2 for the oats to be at the right consistency in my microwave)
    5) Stir in protein powder (for A WHILE) while mashing up the fruit as you go
    6) Stick back in the microwave for 30 seconds

Best consistency ever.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Add your protein to your coffee - just add a scoop to a little bit of coffee in your cup - mix it until its creamy and not lumpy then add the rest of your coffee.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been eating oatmeal, a protein shake and coffee for breakfast, however, I decided to put the protein into my oatmeal. It just makes more sense. My issue is I cannot get the right consistency. Does anyone have any tricks for when they mix their protein and oatmeal? I know you are not supposed to put the protein into the microwave bc it separates the protein from the oatmeal, i have not done this. Please help.

You didn't mention what kind of consistency you're getting now, or what you're looking for.

I would recommend combining the protein powder with a small amount of liquid & mixing it BEFORE adding to the oatmeal.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Why not add oatmeal to a protein shake? I have done this a couple times to get the "fullness" of a meal. Since you get fiber and protein all in one shot and it makes the shake nice and thick and it's like a meal. Add flaxseed to it too.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats (75g)

Throw in about 100 ml of milk (or water if you don't drink milk)

and a scoop of whey (25g)

No need to microwave/ cook.

Just eat that puppy raw.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Cause she wants the protein powder WITH it!? Haha

So more milk protein in with her milk..protein?

I had thought she was making up powdered protein (ie a shake) and using it place of milk...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to microwave protein powder? That is what I have been doing because otherwise I can't get the powder to mix well with the oatmeal and it has a horrible texture. Microwaving it makes it all creamy and a texture I can handle.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I had lumps when I mixed the protein powder and oatmeal together BEFORE microwaving it so now I make my oatmeal and then once it's hot I stir in the powder and then add a splash of milk. Voila no more lumps!
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thanks all. i just use water. i use vanilla whey protein, oatmeal and water-that's it. maybe i will try putting the oatmeal into my protein shake that sounds like a good idea.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    After it cooks add some wheatgerm. & get another 8gs of protein + a bunch of other goodies. The wheatgerm will absorb the extra liquid.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats (usually make a batch and work on it for a week) then I add a half or full cup of FAGE plain greek yogurt..microwave till warm, add almond milk for consisteny as needed and maybe a Truvia if I want a little sweetness. Cinnamon. Yum.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I do this, I take a 2 cup measuring cup, fill it up with water and microwave that for 2.5 minutes. I get 1/2 cup of oats and one scoop of protein powder and mix them together dry in a bowl. Then when the water is done, I just pour the water and stir until I get the consistency I am looking for. I think it's usually about 1-1.5 cups of water for a thick oatmeal and the whole 2 cups when I want something more loose. I think it's all trial and error to get it the way you want, but this way you can measure the water as you pour it in to get a better idea in the future how much water you really need.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually make the protein shake in a mixer, then add to the oatmeal and stir... Otherwise if I just add the powder it gets lumpy....I'm going to try the overnight oatmeal again. I did it once and hated it, so I'm trying a second time : )