I joined Curves for Women!

Options
I officially joined Curves for Women today and I wanted to tell you guys who were interested a little about my overall experience there.

When I first walked in, I was a little turned off because there were only 2 people working out, 60+ year old women. I'm 20 and I wasn't sure if this was my "scene," but I decided to give it a shot because a) I need to lose the weight b) it's a women's only gym..so I would be more comfortable and c) I wanted to have an open mind.

I was really surprised! Not only was I NOT the youngest there- there are a lot of younger women who attend Curves! There is even a 14 year old girl who is a member, so it's not just for "old people."

As far as the workouts, don't let them fool you. They look really simple until you start to try them. I was in a full on sweat within 5 minutes of working out and by the time I was done, I felt DEAD.

Overall, I am really excited about Curves and what I have to gain (and lose!) from being there. The workouts seem to be effective, get your heart rate up and it really is a non-threatening environment. It also made me feel a lot better about myself to see others who are struggling with their weight on the machine beside me instead of a fitness superstar.

I signed a 6 month contract and paid a total of $350 for 6 months of unlimited exercise access, personal 1:1 coaching and meal plans and guides. I think it's a great deal for someone wanting to start working out.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to join but they won't let me :( I think I'm missing something.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Curves is a really nice place and you can meet some great ladies there. Our local Curves closed down and there are none in the area now, but I always enjoyed it
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of success at Curves, lost about 65 pounds over the course of a year, and that was without really modifying my eating very much. I stopped working out and gained about 50 pounds of it back, hence MFP. :( I really liked the Curves workout. Wasn't crazy about the Christian rock they insisted on playing, though.
  • DarkAngelofDespair
    DarkAngelofDespair Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've recently joined Curves as well and so far, I am enjoying it too. I tend to look forward to being measured as it gives me an incentive to work a lot harder on the machines but I know what you mean. They look nice and simple but they're not. I also feel comfortable there as well.

Though today I can't go due to the snow, I normally go about four or five times a week. Going to be put on CurvesSmart next week, so I am a little bit nervous but at the same time, I can't wait.