Anyone have a fitbit?

Options
I was wondering if you have a fitbit if you have to incorporate it into your computer and what do you need to do that?

Replies

• boji4ever
    boji4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just posted a topic about this as well looking for feedback. It's easy to sync if you have a smart phone, just download the fitbit app and set up and account, then link it to MFP. Am sure it's similar doing it on the computer as well. My sister in law has the Ultra and my mother in law has the zip and they both love them. I just got the Fitbit One as a gift, but I am debating returning it and holding out for the Fitbit Flex which is a bracelet and will be out this spring. I think that would be easier for me to keep track of.
  • emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have one and I really like it. I have a slightly older model than the newest one that's out, and it came with a USB base that just plugs into your computer. It syncs as soon as you are close to the base. I love it!
  • lnsy613
    lnsy613 Posts: 19
    Options
    I got one for Christmas and it's amazing! Their customer service is fantastic and they immediately replaced it when I oops flushed it down the toilet - apparently it's a common problem :) I have the Zip and it comes with a little usb port doggle that will sync to your fitbit when your computer is on and you are within 20 feet of it. If you have an iPhone 4S or newer, you can download the app and it will sync to your phone... I have the 4 and still downloaded the app but it doesn't sync to the phone. I love that I can use it in conjunction with MFP and after syncing, my calories burned are reflected in my diary!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One. Join the FitBit user group to find out more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

It syncs with MFP and automatically updates your net calories with anything you've burned in excess of your daily estimate, so no hard sums required!
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I have the older fitbit that uses a USB plugin which syncs with the computer. My wife has the newer one and it syncs to her phone without any type of usb. I think you just have to download the software to the computer and an app to the phone. I love my fitbit.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, and it comes with the wireless USB thing you need to update to your computer. HOwever above people say it is easy to sync with your phone, but only if it is a new phone, my iPhone 4 does not sync but if I had a 4S it would
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I have a fitbit One, it came with a wireless dongle that you just put in the USB port on your computer and it syncs wirelessly whenever you are within range. I also have the app on my phone (I have an iPhone 5) and it syncs wirelessly with that whenever I refresh the app. Only thing is you have to have a newer smart phone to for your One to sync with it. I like the one, and for me the flex doesn't offer any benefits that you don't have with the One, except you don't have to put it in the wrist band at night. I wear my One clipped front and center on my bra. I love it, the whole thing was very easy to set up, and I did sync it to MFP. I only had a few questions about logging my workouts, but experimentation helped. I log activity on the fitbit site and not MFP.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at fitbits also, is a fit bit basically a pedometer? If I want to accurately calculate my calories burned during a workout, I will need a heart rate monitor, right?
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for a couple of years now. I had some close calls of losing it when I first got it. I was wearing it on my waistband and on my pocket and It would flip off when the pants came up or down. I had put a bright pink piece of tape on it to help locate it thank goodness. Then I discovered the best place for ladies to wear it is in the middle of the bra so instead of it being a fitbit, it is now my titbit. lol. It never flips off now and I always discover it before wash day. It is still very accurate and comfortable there and much safer than wearing it anywhere else.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    So if I don't have a smartphone I could just get one with a USB to plug into the computer and it will automatically add my exercise calories into MFP?

Such as this? http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Super-Quality-All-In-One-Monitoring-Interface/dp/B003Y92PAW/ref=sr_1_8?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1358951844&sr=1-8&keywords=polar+with+usb
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So if I don't have a smartphone I could just get one with a USB to plug into the computer and it will automatically add my exercise calories into MFP?
    No need, the FitBit comes with a USB wireless sync dongle AND a USB lead for charging! I have a smartphone that isn't an iPhone so only synch through my PC, no extra gear necessary!

Note that the heart rate monitor you linked to will only correctly monitor aerobic exercise, you can't wear it all day to measure calorie burn from daily activity like the FitBit.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Oh, crap! Sorry I was looking at the polars too...lol But is that the same concept with the USB cable?
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Sorry this link is to a Polar not a fitbit! I was looking at both...lol
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    So, I don't think this one comes with a USB but it says it syncs with fitbit online but what if I just want to use MFP?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You still just use MFP for logging your food. The fitbit website syncs with the MFP website to add exercise calories for you. All you do is log your food on MFP. The only time I even go to the fitbit website is if I want to edit an activity entry from my fitbit.
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Thank you.