Pork loin ideas

Options
dirtnap63
dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
So, I bought a 5lb. pork loin because it was on sale. I'm roasting half of it tonight with and herb and dijon crust, but I need ideas for the other half. My wife can't eat pork and my kids are probably only good for about 12 oz (they're very young). If I have to waste the other half then the sale price won't be much of bargain after all. Any suggestions, preferably something I can make and freeze so I don't have to eat pork loin for seven days straight?

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You could try somerset pork, that's a really nice meal using pork loin steak. Substitute the cream if you like as well but it isn't that high in bad calories
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hey there! We love pork loin here too! We will buy a big one at Sam's and cut it into 1" steaks, wrap them and then freeze. Then you can take out the portion you want to cook.
    I made a recipe last night that was great that I want to do with pork lion next.

layer broccoli and mushrooms (or any other veggie you may want) on the bottom of a glass baking dish. Then layer your pork on top of veggies. Sprinkle with stuffing mix, then pour fat free chicken broth over the top. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.

I did last night with chicken tenders and the entire family loved it! Hope this helps!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with garlic, rosemary and sage with roasted onions and potatoes

20121014_183605.jpg
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    why are you doing this to me?
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I also get the large pork loins from Sam's and ditto on the steaks. Another go to recipe I use is this:

1 chicken bullion cube
    1 beef bullion cube
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup apple juice or cider

Microwave your bullion cubes and water until the cubes are disolved, add the apple juice. Place your roast in the crock pot and pour the mixture over the roast Let it cook for 6 -8 hours on low. At this point I drain off the juices and thicken with corn starch to make a suace/gravy. Super tastey and juicy! (Everything I use is Gluten Free due to food allergies and my bullion is low sodium)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    why are you doing this to me?

This
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Cook it in the crock pot and shred it. Then, you can freeze it in portions and have pulled-pork sandwiches later.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    1 large white onion
    1/2 bottle of Mojo
    3 limes
    Place in crock pot or Dutch oven , cook on low all day . You can serve over rice or on rolls for sandwiches
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Cook it in the crock pot and shred it. Then, you can freeze it in portions and have pulled-pork sandwiches later.

This!! It is my husbands favourite!

Put the pork into a slow cooker (or oven on low if you don't have a slow cooker) with some BBQ sauce. Leave on low for about 4 hours.. remove pork and shred with two forks... put back into slow cooker and put on high for an hour. Add more BBQ sauce if needed and add an onion finely sliced. Once it's done it is great to put on buns for pulled pork sandwiches, add to stir fry, pasta, use it to top a salad, add to wraps, etc. Portion it out and freeze... such a great recipe!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have one that brings the neighbors together :) PLace it on the grill on low heat, flip it all the way around and braize on both ends also. Take it off the grill after jsut a few minutes ( just enough time to braize it) place it on large rolled out peice of aluminum foil. MAke small slices evenly accross it. rub it down with olive oil butter and garlic.. Wrap it up tight, then place back on the grill, still on low to medium heat, usually takes about 35 minutes to cook through. Be sure to flip it as it's on the grill to get all sides. It will simmer and cook in it's own juices, when you unwrap it it's mouth wartering... I mean it is gooood stuff.. Good Luck :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why can't you make the whole thing as planned and just freeze the other half for a future meal?
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I vote slow cooker BBQ pork (shredded), it is AWESOME, and full of protein! yum!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. They all sound delicious, and I'll probably try them all eventually. I think I'm going to go with the pulled pork in the crockpot this time. That sounds like it might freeze best for later use.
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pork goes well with contrasing flavors. I've done it with rosemary, peach preserves and horseradish. Here's a fun take with blueberry-pomegranate reduction with chipotles. http://fivetwocookbooks.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/week-2-fresh-food-fast/
  • paulathoren1
    paulathoren1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How about slow cooking it to make pork chili verde - if your kids are young you can avoid the "heat" and just add hot sauce to your own dish. Low cal and fabulous!!

I take the "easy way out"

4-5 pound pork roast (or less, just adpt)
    1 diced onion
    one can of green enchilada sauce (large can)
    1/2 bottle of green salsa
    small jar of salsa with some heat if you want it
    can of diced tomatoes -or fresh if you have it
    garlic
    cumin
    cayenne or chili powder
    smokey paprika

add some cilantro at the end

Set it on low for 8 hours, shred the meat and um!!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yes use a crockpot. Can of whole cranberry sause, garlic cloves, 1 cup apple juice, takes about 4 hours.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    stick it in the crock pot, low and slow with just some salt and pepper, shred it and add y our favorite bbq sauce. and youve got pulled pork
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    How about slow cooking it to make pork chili verde - if your kids are young you can avoid the "heat" and just add hot sauce to your own dish. Low cal and fabulous!!

I take the "easy way out"

4-5 pound pork roast (or less, just adpt)
    1 diced onion
    one can of green enchilada sauce (large can)
    1/2 bottle of green salsa
    small jar of salsa with some heat if you want it
    can of diced tomatoes -or fresh if you have it
    garlic
    cumin
    cayenne or chili powder
    smokey paprika

add some cilantro at the end

Set it on low for 8 hours, shred the meat and um!!

Thank you for this recipe!! I will be doing this very soon! yum!!!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My family likes it when I cut it up and make "Pork Nuggets" out of it. I used a" shakin in bake" type recipe for coating.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump Thanks, I need these ideas too! Grew up vegetarian and still am, but my family loves pork.