Am I cheating?

Options
I work on the 5th floor.
There are 3 flights between floors.
There are 10 steps per flight.
I walk up 15 flights to get to my office.
I do this every day to start work, every day after my break and every day after lunch - and sometimes if I've a bit of downtime or need to take my eyes off the screen, I do the stairs,
It burns 15 cals every time I do this ( HRM checked )
Am I cheating by including this in my exercise?
I think it's allowed as I've not always done this and there is an elevator/lift, so this represents an extra conscious effort.
But I just want other opinions....
Have at it...

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your daily routine, I would include it in your activity level settings rather than logging it as exercise.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that burns cals counts.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    i think not bc like you said you could be like the rest and take the elevator...
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your daily routine, I would include it in your activity level settings rather than logging it as exercise.

But exercise is also part of my daily routine?
  • jesisley
    jesisley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If by including it, you do it consciously and more regularly, then include it.

If by not including it, you would be more inclined to take the elevator every now and again, then include it and take the stairs.

The point is to stay motivated and stay moving.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    dude, who cares how you log it? It just rules that you're doing it..........
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just read an article (and can't find it back arrgh) where a guy who incorporated routine walking into his day (he moved to a place where he had to walk 1.5k to get his mail every day) lost four pounds in a month, not changing his routine in any other way. So, just because its part of your routine doesn't mean its not exercise.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I know I would log that, but I have my activity level set at sedentary to begin with.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Ditto. I would change to "lightly active" if you're set to "sedentary" right now. Or bump it up to "moderately" if you're at "light".
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As long as your activity level is sedentary, I would log it as exercise.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I know I would log that, but I have my activity level set at sedentary to begin with.

ditto!
  • chignon47
    Options
    No way. Good for you!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you do it INTENTIONALLY, I would log it. If you don't have a choice, don't.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would probably log half of it. I take my dogs for two long walks each day, but I only count one of them. Kind of chalk the other walk up to "I don't trust the calorie burned calculation".
    I also run every day and I log that - so I don't necessarily agree with not logging it just because you do it every day.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

Ditto. I would change to "lightly active" if you're set to "sedentary" right now. Or bump it up to "moderately" if you're at "light".

Ditto to this as well! My activity is set to lightly active since I am on my feet (though just standing around) and I never take the elevator. The only time I log stairs is when I occasionally jog up and down them for an extended period of time during my breaks, since that is not part of my regular routine.
  • rdcraner
    Options
    My thoughts are, if it is out of the norm for your work day, i.e. part of your job duties do not include marching up and down the stairs, then log it.

I am in IT, my job involves sitting at my desk for 90% of the day. If during breaks I decide to go out and walk around the office complex, I log that as exercise, even if I do it every day.

Someone else said that they have their activity level set to sedentary. I do the same and log basically all extra-curricular physical activity. As an example, my wife and I went on a road trip and spent an entire day walking around a city. I logged this for that particular day.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sedentary does include some walking (for me it's about 5000 steps by my pedometer)
    I wouldn't include it as an exercise
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If its working for you and feels good to log do it! Way 2 go btw.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are set at sedentary, then I would count it if it were me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

ditto!

this!