Tips for adding protein to breakfast.

Options
I'm trying to add a protein serving to my breakfast. My usual breakfast is cereal - either oatmeal, or multigrain hot cereal, or shredded wheat along with fruit and milk. The easiest way to add protein has been to add a quarter cup of nuts (usually almonds or walnuts) but they are so high in calories. I'm not really awake enough in the morning to want to cook something like an egg, and it doesn't really appeal. I eat lots of eggs, but not for breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    protein powder in pancake mix

precooked Turkey sausage patties (Jimmy dean) on a whole grain English Muffin

Mini quiche cups (any ingredients you would put in an omelette - mix together, bake in a muffin tin @ 350 about 20 minutes) you can make these on a Sunday and have 2-3 per serving a couple of times per week.

I always cook on Sunday and store in freezer bags. This way you can grab and go...

Good luck.
  • CHoneycutt828
    CHoneycutt828 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, though very tart, is high in protein. :)
  • Mandas13
    Mandas13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters and turkey sausage!!!
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs, so I struggle with the same thing in the morning. I found that I really like Boca sausage links. They don't look that appealing, but they taste really good. (my husband thinks that should be their slogan! :) ) The other thing I do is not eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Like, last week I made chicken and black bean tacos and I ate the leftover filling for breakfast. :)
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    canadian bacon or lean ham. Also, scrambled eggs cook well in the microwave.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what type of greek yoghurt everyone else is using, but my full fat shop brand version is not HIGH in protein. Or is this just me?! I do not class yoghurt as added protein, it is an addition to most other things, carbs and fat, oh it adds some protein, but I would have to eat a whole 500g container just to get 21g of protein.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Add protein powder to your oatmeal, DONE! I also add peanut butter or pb2, flax, nuts, almond milk, etc to balance it out. Now that's a meal.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    egg whites to oatmeal. i love it, personally
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    2 scoops Oats, 2 scoops strawberry protein shake, 2 eggs - in a shaker, 300ml cold water. JOB DONE.

Cals:512 (Carbs:27 Fat:18 Protein:59) including slow burn carbs filling up till lunch, Essential fatty acids, 2 types of protein, 300mls water towards 8 glasse a day. No need to cook anything, eaten on the move, tasty, cleaned in seconds...

EDIT: Above macro figures are grams not % before it looks like bad math :P
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I tried this yesturday and I hated it. This morning it was 2 hard boild eggs instead.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    vanilla protein powder in oatmeal
    tofu
    egg whites (scrambled, added to oatmeal)
    greek yogurt
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what type of greek yoghurt everyone else is using, but my full fat shop brand version is not HIGH in protein. Or is this just me?! I do not class yoghurt as added protein, it is an addition to most other things, carbs and fat, oh it adds some protein, but I would have to eat a whole 500g container just to get 21g of protein.
    I add plain Greek yogurt to my oatmeal (along with fruit, honey, walnuts and cinnamon - it's delicious!) - and I would get the full fat version, but it's only got 9g of protein per cup, where the 2% has 24g! Huge difference! No clue why the full fat would have so much less, but for that reason I get the 2%.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I add plain Greek yogurt to my oatmeal (along with fruit, honey, walnuts and cinnamon - it's delicious!) - and I would get the full fat version, but it's only got 9g of protein per cup, where the 2% has 24g! Huge difference! No clue why the full fat would have so much less, but for that reason I get the 2%.

My plain 0% has 18g protein per 3/4 cup. With a tsp of honey and a 0.75 yougury serving I'm at 12g and under 100kcal. I suggest shopping around and playing the label game, especially if you like yougurt. Lots of choices.
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    vanilla protein powder in oatmeal
    tofu
    egg whites (scrambled, added to oatmeal)
    greek yogurt

@Riemersma4 egg whites added to oatmeal - in the oatmeal? Like while it cooks? Looking for protein variety myself but need to make sure it's tasty first.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Have a smoothie! Mix your favourite fruits, protein powder and some greek yogurt into a blender and whirrrrr away. Very high in protein and super filling. Sometimes I add high fibre foods into the smoothie to make it even more filling.

I also second protein powder in pancake mix.. more sources of protein include eggs, even chicken for breakfast (I've done it), fish, etc,..

Also pay attention to labels because not all products are the same. I've seen the popular brand of greek yogurt actually have more fat and calories than the store brand which had 18g of protein and 0g fat. Saved me a few bucks.

Good luck
  • dayquil
    Options
    protein powder in pancake mix

1 cup of oatmeal
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1/4 cup milk (I use almond milk)
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 or 2 teaspoons of salt

Mix in a blender

You now have batter for 2 epic pancakes. It's a good chunk of calories, but full of protein. The texture will fool you into thinking you're at IHOP. Seriously.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Add protein powder to your oatmeal, DONE! I also add peanut butter or pb2, flax, nuts, almond milk, etc to balance it out. Now that's a meal.

Now I want to eat oatmeal instead of scrambled eggs for breakfast. New meal added to possible meals list. Thanks!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese with fruit on top.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I eat my granola (or cereal) with greek yogurt every day instead of milk. I just can't stomach meat early in the morning. If greek yogurt is too bitter for you, add a little honey.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    BACON!!!!