Help! Starvation mode?

Options
So this week I have been eating a little under 1200 calories a day, and now MFP has me worried because they always give me that message in red that I'm eating too few calories and I may not be getting enough nutrients AND I may be putting my body into starvation mode. I've just been finding it really hard to get 1200 calories because I've been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, which don't really add up very quickly.

So my question is...

Is it really likely that I'm putting my body into starvation mode and will have a hard time with losing weight? If so, what can I do to up my calorie intake but still stay healthy?

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how much extra exercise you might be doing, its difficult to tell (how many weeks have you been that far under?), but I'd guess the best way would be to slightly increase your protein for a few days
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Find your numbers.

TDEE, and BMR. You should be eating in between there.

Eating below BMR for prolonged periods will result in elevated cortisol levels which will bring about a plateau in weight loss.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Is it really likely that I'm putting my body into starvation mode and will have a hard time with losing weight? If so, what can I do to up my calorie intake but still stay healthy?

Quit eating so many fruits and vegetables and get some calories in. Eat full fat dairy, nuts, oils, eggs, peanut butter, cheese, meats. There's nothing inherently healthy about eating a very low calorie diet of fruit and veggies.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its okay to be under now and again. Just try to find good foods veggie and lean meats. My matto is if I am not hungry I am not going to eat no matter what the computer says. You know your body best and what works for your body. I WOUld sugest taking some daily vitamins just to make sure your getting everything in :)
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's not like I'm JUST eating fruits and veggies, but I'm just eating a whole lot more than I used to. I also have greek yogurt every day, usually chicken or other meat, peanut butter. It's still not seeming to be enough to get my calorite intake up to 1200, but it's always at least over 1000 calories.

I've been trying to listen to my body more, and if I'm hungry, I'll eat. If I'm not, I don't. Is that a good or bad way to go about eating?
  • ajsquale
    Options
    Its okay to be under now and again. Just try to find good foods veggie and lean meats. My matto is if I am not hungry I am not going to eat no matter what the computer says. You know your body best and what works for your body. I WOUld sugest taking some daily vitamins just to make sure your getting everything in :)

Thanks Jeanine! I've been trying to do that more this week... I'm not eating if I don't feel hungry! Thanks for the idea about vitamins. I've never taken any, so that might be helpful!
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What is a little under, 10 cals, 20, 100, 300??? If you are virtually there then hey, a spoonful of peanut butter will do the trick but if you are regularly eating way under then look forward to your plateau.

Been there, done that, convinced myself that if i ate less I would lose more weight, hey it's just basic math huh!!? NO. Had to start eating more again to get my weight moving. I eat 1200-1300 a day and I don't always eat all of my excercise cals back so some on this forum would still 'tell me off' but won't make the mistake of 1000 cals a day again!!

Good Luck.
  • ajsquale
    Options
    Kirsty... For the past week I've had roughly between 1050-1150 calories each day. It's not like I'm telling myself I have to eat less than 1200 calories, but I just end up not eating enough! I know that it's not healthy if you aren't getting enough calories, but I just want to find the right foods to add to my day instead of just eating something that has enough calories to get me to that goal, you know?

What do you typically eat each day?
  • Millie2045
    Options
    Hi me too I regularly find I eat about 200 calories under my daily amount of 1200.
    I don't do it on purpose I eat breakfast lunch & an evening meal but it just seems to work out that way.
    I don't do any exercise though as I have a fairly active job & work long hours I do take a multi vitamin
    & iron tablet daily though
  • ajsquale
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do it on purpose! I'll have to try some vitamins.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you...1,200 is my goal but I haven't been meeting it lately. I suppose I should reevaluate my eating plan but I feel pretty satisfied. Also, I have not been offsetting my eating with exercise, so what I'm eating is what I'm stuck with. I know that if you're eating 1,200 or less and exercising heavily (or even moderately), 1,200 may be too few calories for you. If you really are in starvation mode, I would think your progress would be slowed or halted a bit...any indication of that? If not, try and boost your calories with an additional healthy snack each day like some extra fruit or some almonds...nothing fatty, but good, useful calories packed with nutrients and things that will help you break down fat and lose it.
  • ajsquale
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm the same... I feel full during the day and at night, so I don't want to eat just to eat (which is why I need to lose weight in the first place!) I know it's different if you're eating healthy, good-for-you food, but I'm always hesitant! I think my next goal should be to learn what's good and what's not good so I feel good about eating an extra snack to bump up my calories for the day! Good advice, Erin. :) Thank you!!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Isay what works for you! Now, I am 5'9" and I can't eat that low or I will be ravenous hungry and eat everything in sight no kidding but my BMR us 1435 so I really need to eat minimum 1400 a day for survival. I think it would go by how tall you are, how you feel, and what you are eating. Lots of protien can make you feel full longer and make you eat less and so can fiber (if your tummy can handle a lot of fiber). If you feel weak or tired or foggy or shaky, follow your common sense and eat more. If not you are probably fine. I have ate like that a couple days in a row then by the 3rd day I am starving and almost lathargic and have to eat more. But as I always say "find what works for you". I have a friend I attended church with once and it didn't matter what she did if she ate more than 1000 cals a day she gained and she had to eat less if she lost. It's depending on your metabloism =)