Will I get loose skin?

Options
Hello everybody!

So, last year I shot up in weight by 4 stone! :(
At my heaviest, I was 14 and a half stone, I am planning on getting down to about 9 stone..so that is 5 and a half stone weight loss.

Do you think I will get loose saggy skin? Or am I not at that big enough stage yet?

Thanks

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Probably. You have a higher chance if you lose weight fast.
    I'm 5'5", started at 236 and I lost the most in my breasts (they sag quite a bit) and when I do pushups I do have sagging stomach skin (plus I've given birth twice which is a major factor).

Just take things nice & slow and moisturize. Otherwise best of luck!
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're only young so I expect your skin has good elasticity. I don't think saggy skin will be a problem so try not to worry. The best thing is to keep your skin moisurised, work out, eat healthy and drink lots of water. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what any of this foreign gibberish is, but if you lose weight really fast - yes youll have loose skin. how much and how fast it snaps back and whether it will snap back depends on you and your genetics.

:drinker:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your skin elasticity. I never got loose skin or stretch marks from being pregnant; a lot of women do.

At my age, I kind of expect loose skin when I lose 50 pounds, but I'll have to wait and see.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I started at 285 lbs last year and got down to 215 within the year, and I have a little bit of saggy skin in the "spare tire" region and I did everything with weightloss to prevent it (lifting only with minimal cardio). Some of it is not so much saggy as just more loosely there with a "not as hard as it used to be" underlayer of fat that still needs to be burned off.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    5.5 stones would be 77lbs. That's not a vast amount so you may or may not get loose skin. Lose the weight slower and you are less likely to.

Edited for typo.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No way to tell, it's mostly genetics, but don't aim for fast weight loss. The slower you lose it, the more time your skin has to adjust.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 105 and can barely tell usually. And the last twenty pounds came off this past December.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Oh wait what I meant was people need to stop trying to get me to google how much a stone converts to in a reasonable unit of measurement. I refuse.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No way to tell, it's mostly genetics, but don't aim for fast weight loss. The slower you lose it, the more time your skin has to adjust.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

This plus add resistance training. Maintaining your muscle will help with preventing saggy skin.
  • colpol1
    colpol1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help! :)
    I shall update when I reach my goal, hopefully the end of this year.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85-ish - a bit over 6 stone. 4 stone over the last year. I have some loose skin, especially on my lower abdomen and upper arms. It's annoying, but not hideous. I'm hoping time will help. Hopefully, for you, your age will be an advantage.
  • ShrinkinAmberina
    Options
    I have lost 61 lbs so far and have some loose skin... im taking many steps to prevent it but I still have a way to go... anyone have recommendations on what they did to help with their loose skin? I currently just upped my biking to 8 miles a day and i walk and jog also, i added small arm weights today... i just want to the best I can to help it even though i know i cant completely avoid it.
  • Noha137
    Noha137 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi , i am 21 years old !! I plan to lose 15 kg in the next 2 months.. now i'm 77kg !! All i do is diet i mean i eat really healthy i dont starve myself and i do cardio for 30min everyday!! Am afraid to have loose skin :( !! So is cardio only is enough??
    Thank youu...
  • frozentrace
    frozentrace Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi , i am 21 years old !! I plan to lose 15 kg in the next 2 months.. now i'm 77kg !! All i do is diet i mean i eat really healthy i dont starve myself and i do cardio for 30min everyday!! Am afraid to have loose skin :( !! So is cardio only is enough??
    Thank youu...

15kg in 2 months sounds way too fast, not to mention, you're not extremely obese... I took 4 months to lose 13kg...