I'm new - and have a question

Options
I've been using MFP for 4 days now and I absolutely LOVE it (I even come here before going to FB). I really see this as a site that will help me to change my life!

I started a lifestyle change on January 7th with a goal of losing 105 lbs (to start) and just getting healthier. So far I've lost 17 lbs but I want to make sure I keep it up by doing things right.

One question I have is whether I should be eating the extra calories I earn from exercise? My calorie goal is 1510 calories per day (which I find very manageable - I can't have any of the junk I normally did, but I get enough food that I don't feel hungry). However, I've seen several references to people talking about eating the calories they earn from exercise. What is your experience...should I stick to the 1510 (I usually come under that a little) or should I be eating the extra calories I burn as well?

Thanks! :) Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary to see if you have any recommendations.

Replies

• rogueriverbrat
    rogueriverbrat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi There I am New to this site to,Please add me as a friend :) I am also wondering about the extra exercise calories,I see on here some say not to others say do ,So I am not at this point. I will see how it goes,I have been on here a little over a week and have yet to lose anything :( I would like to lose about 70 pounds, Good luck on your Journey ;)
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Looks like we're both looking for the same information!!! :)

I accepted your friend invite! :)
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been using the site for little over a year. I have my calories set at 1200 (sedentary) and I do eat back what I earn through exercise. I use a heart rate monitor to make sure that I don't overestimate though. Good luck to you :smile:
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    You might get some different replies form people on here, but I generally eat most of my calories back. This is because MFP has a built in deficit if you eat the number calories that is suggests for you. Any extra calories earned through exercise can be eaten back, while still maintaining that original deficit that you set. If you are burning a substantial number of calories from exercise, your body definitely needs the extra fuel!

If you want some more detailed info, this link is FANTASTIC:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

and if you want to try the TDEE method instead of MFP, try this link too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Both of them are worth the read, and you will learn a lot in the process!

Good luck! :)
  • lordvoldemort1
    lordvoldemort1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

In terms of your question, it depends on you. if 1500 calories fills you, don't force yourself to eat it back, but bear in mind this expereince is meant to be a change in lifestyle, so denying yourself calories you've earnt won't work for you in the long run. Welcome to the site :)
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was curious about that too. Over a year ago I was on Spark People and they don't do that. So I was surprised the first time I saw it.

I have basically based it on my day. If I feel hungrier (My calorie intake was set at 1300? when I started this site) then I eat the extra calories.
  • CharT5188
    Options
    You might get some different replies form people on here, but I generally eat most of my calories back. This is because MFP has a built in deficit if you eat the number calories that is suggests for you. Any extra calories earned through exercise can be eaten back, while still maintaining that original deficit that you set. If you are burning a substantial number of calories from exercise, your body definitely needs the extra fuel!

If you want some more detailed info, this link is FANTASTIC:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

and if you want to try the TDEE method instead of MFP, try this link too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Both of them are worth the read, and you will learn a lot in the process!

Good luck! :)

Very helpful! Thank you!
  • jlogan0324
    Options
    I am also new to the site, but I do not eat the extra calories from my exercise. I just try to keep my protien up when I'm exercising.

Hope this helps. Would love to have you as my friend :)

Jess:drinker:
  • CharT5188
    Options
    Hi! :)

In terms of your question, it depends on you. if 1500 calories fills you, don't force yourself to eat it back, but bear in mind this expereince is meant to be a change in lifestyle, so denying yourself calories you've earnt won't work for you in the long run. Welcome to the site :)

That's a good point - for now I feel like it's enough. If that changes (or my work out intensifies as I become more able) then I will decide at that time.
  • KellieLouise84
    Options
    for me it depends on what the exercise is... i never eat back calories from things like walking, but i only log walks that are over 30 mins anyways, anything like kettlebells and boxercise where i use a lot of energy i always eat most if not all back, otherwise i feel ill!!

good luck!! and feel free to add me if you like!
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    You are very welcome! :)
    (And feel free to add me, if you would like!)
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating back exercise calories because I'm really not that hungry anymore (crazy to me, I obviously never had that problem before because I'm here!) I really don't like eating when I'm not hungry because that's a problem I've had in the past, but I also hate being too far under.
    It's a good idea to eat back some of them, I think, especially if you've burned a lot. The general idea I've gotten is that a lot of people say to eat back about half since MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burnt. If you're using a HRM, though, I could see eating back all of them. Having too large of a deficit isn't good news. You're pretty much starving yourself at a certain point.
  • KBM51
    KBM51 Posts: 8
    Options
    This is my personal approach but if you are okay with the alloted calorie intake for the day i would avoid increasing to any "earned" calories. I have successfully stayed under my limit almost every day and it is good to know i could go over if i earned some extra but i have really been motivated by the success i have had not using them. I also avoid complex carbohydrates to aid in my metabolism doing it's job. My company is providing the services of a Nutritionist periodically and she has always said your body wants to burn fat while you sleep but if you load complex carbs in the evening it is too burdened breaking them down...so i try to stay with green vegetables and lean meats in the evening. I also have avoided breads, pastas, potatoes, rice, etc... I think it has also helped that i eat breakfast lunch and two snacks a day in addition to dinner to keep my metabolism fired up and to avoid being hungry.

I also use greek nonfat plain yogurt in place of sour cream with ranch dressing mix or onion soup mix for a dip for vegetables at snack time or with a fruit or flax seed for a snack. Have used it on sweet potatoes in place of sour cream etc.

I have tried every diet there is but have found the basic portion control and calorie counting with myfitnesspal to be very successful. Good luck with your effort.
  • Dyanicky61
    Options
    Ive been doing this site ( and I LOVE IT ) for 21 days now . I think its super helpfull . About the extra calories from working out . I think they are there is you need them . But you dont have to use them . Im going to ask to be your friend on here :smooched:
  • robinpyles90
    Options
    Hello, if your going to do an intense workout or run, then yes i would reccomend you eat the calories burned. Here are some tips that have helped me in the past:

dont eat past 6:30(seems hard). While your body is at rest, it takes a lot longer for food to digest.
    Limit amount of soda and juices..too many artificial sugars that take the body a long time to recognize and digest
    drink 16 oz of water(2 cups) before each meal.. you will get full faster
    eat frequently but watch your portions
    eat slow and savor each bite.. give your senses time to pick up the smell of the food. When your brain picks up on the small, you get full faster( ever wonder why after you slave over making dinner you dont feel as hungry?)

hope this helps.
  • Kitamarie97
    Options
    I am new too and had the same question! I asked the support staff here at myfitnesspal, I they said your suggested calories is already a deficit so you should lose weight just by eating your allotted limit. They did suggest eating back the calories you burn since your everyday calories are only meant to sustain you if you do not exercise. So you will need more when you exert energy exercising. Like many people on here I don't force myself to eat back what I burn but if I am hungry I eat (healthy options of course) since starving the body is not gonna get me to my goal! I hope this helps!
  • ogiesmom
    ogiesmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • snubes16
    snubes16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eat the extra calories if you are sure that you truely burned them. Your body will start burning more efficiently if you give it enough of the "good" calories. But make sure you eat REAL food and not junk. If you are not eating enough calories your body will try to store every calorie you put in. :o)
  • samrandol
    samrandol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have never countrd calories or dieted so this is all very new to me.
    I know i should be drinking water, but i HATE water. So my question
    is. Can i use my coffee and tea as my water? I know i need to add it to
    my calorie counter. Anyone know?
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    I feel its dependant on prefrence as well as amount of calories used.
    I prefer not to eat mines back but would if I where burning like 1000 cals...
    Note of warning though if you are going to eat tehnm back don't eat alll as they tend to be estimated very high on here and don;t add things like cleaning etc which you would be doing normally
    feel free to add :)