Weightlifting Vegans and Vegetarians

Options
Hi all, I was one of those vegetarians that gained weight bc of eating too many carbs so i started eating meat again for about 8 months after being off of it for 4 years. I feel fine but my mind and heart tells me that its a good idea to go back to only eating fish and possibly work my way to being a vegan (havent decided yet) What I am looking for is to add friends who have a similar diet to this who also lift weights!

Replies

• Reneefit135
    Options
    bumping...hope to get replies :)
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Got one over here! Feel free to friend me.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a Pescetarian (vegetarian who also eats sea food). I don't lift weights much, but I run a lot these days.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Great! I will send a friend request. I find a lot of Vegans and Vegetarians dont lift so I am hoping to find more here.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I eat fish and seafood as well. I think i want to eventually be Vegan. I did it for 30 days and i dont know if its for me long term. We shall see :)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    if yuo eat fish then you are set. if you are veggie, then its whey/cassein all the way (no pun intended). if you are vegan, there are pea proteins (people seem to avoid the soy these days), as well as other forms. you can friend if - I'm a veg, but not exclusively a bodybuilder (though that's part of it). I get most of my protein from shakes....its not perfect, but alas....
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I lift. My diet is 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

17892839.png
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have experimented with both Vegan and Raw diets (still cook/uncook both weekly), but have decided to eat fish at least twice a week. I have eggs, yogurt and cheese occasionally. And I LOVE weight-training. Love probably doesn't come close...:)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly plant based, will have meat when there is no other option; that is usually when someone else is serving me and I try not to discuss my eating habits with too many people (long story). I lift at least 2 x's a week as well as run. Protein hasn't been an issue with me and I do pretty good at maintaining my carbs at a decent level.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I lift
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Quote: feel free to add me. I have experimented with both Vegan and Raw diets (still cook/uncook both weekly), but have decided to eat fish at least twice a week. I have eggs, yogurt and cheese occasionally. And I LOVE weight-training. Love probably doesn't come close...:)

Thanks. Your eating plan sounds very similar to what I am trying to do. I love lifting as well and just got away from it for a good while so I am ready to get going again. I read your profile, what are sun salutations?
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Quote: feel free to add me. I have experimented with both Vegan and Raw diets (still cook/uncook both weekly), but have decided to eat fish at least twice a week. I have eggs, yogurt and cheese occasionally. And I LOVE weight-training. Love probably doesn't come close...:)

Thanks. Your eating plan sounds very similar to what I am trying to do. I love lifting as well and just got away from it for a good while so I am ready to get going again. I read your profile, what are sun salutations?

Sun Salutations are a series of 12 Yoga poses designed to increase flexibility and overall wellness first thing in the morning.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I am glad to see there are several that follow this type of diet that are strong. I see too many that are underweight, over weight or just dont look healthy. So its nice to find healthy, strong vegetarians and vegans. Thanks a bunch for the inspiration and friend requests.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Bumping to see if there are any others out there
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but wanted to suggest a decent textbook 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' from well respected publishing house Human Kinetics.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but wanted to suggest a decent textbook 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' from well respected publishing house Human Kinetics.

great thanks!