Protein.. or lack there of

Options
Hello All,

I just recently started getting serious with fitness and MFP. I don't have a serious weight loss plan, as I am already within a healthy weight range for my height. I am 5'9 at 133.4 pounds, and plan to be on the lower end around 125-130 pounds. I've been trying my best to control my eating and plan to get back into my gym routine once I return to school next week. I'm going to start doing cardio and Jilian Michaels 30ds with some weights added. My question for you all is about my diet, and lack of protein.

I wouldn't consider myself a vegetarian, I just don't really eat meat. Unless I have a craving of some sort. I usually eat meat about 1-3 times a week. (yes I know "how do you survive?? " blah blah..) Outside of that I have some nuts occasionally, and beans. I've been considering a whey protein powder as a substitute in my diet to help me. My only concern is bulking up. Which I DON'T want to do.. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Maybe from other vegetarians that have used protein powder?

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a good boost, but I think you could benefit from more 'natural' protein. Google high protein food. You would be surprised at all the diff foods that are loaded with protein! No mean needed :~)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I've been vegetarian for over 2 years and have no trouble getting plenty of protein (usually 110-130 g a day). Whey powder flares my Crohns really bad so I use PlantFusion (vanilla Bean is my fav flavor)-it's doesn't have any weird ingredients or artificial sweeteners.

I know a lot of women tend to think protein powders will bulk them up but, in reality, it's extemeely difficult for women to "bulk up" because of the lack of testosterone. Believe me, protein powders and a high protein diet, ifor that matter, will not make you look like a 600 lb olympic powerlifter. I also highly suggest a weight program (which also won't bulk you up) to help build lean muscle mass.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I just recently started getting serious with fitness and MFP. I don't have a serious weight loss plan, as I am already within a healthy weight range for my height. I am 5'9 at 133.4 pounds, and plan to be on the lower end around 125-130 pounds. I've been trying my best to control my eating and plan to get back into my gym routine once I return to school next week. I'm going to start doing cardio and Jilian Michaels 30ds with some weights added. My question for you all is about my diet, and lack of protein.

I wouldn't consider myself a vegetarian, I just don't really eat meat. Unless I have a craving of some sort. I usually eat meat about 1-3 times a week. (yes I know "how do you survive?? " blah blah..) Outside of that I have some nuts occasionally, and beans. I've been considering a whey protein powder as a substitute in my diet to help me. My only concern is bulking up. Which I DON'T want to do.. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Maybe from other vegetarians that have used protein powder?

You don't need to eat meat for complete protein. Don't you eat the recommended three servings of dairy a day, plus oily fish several times a week? If so these are all sources of protein. Protein powders are not a substitute for real food, they are supplements or convenience foods. They generally don't supply all the vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that fish, dairy, nuts and seeds do unless fortified. If you only have nuts and beans occasionally I hope you are eating plenty of wholegrains for minerals and fibre.

Not sure where the bulking myth comes from, but honestly it is not that easy for most males to bulk let alone a female with 10% of the testosterone. Worrying that you will somehow accidentally transform into a bodybuilder lookalike is like worrying you will accidentally end up an elite athlete in the next New York marathon. Hypertrophy takes an incredible amount and dedication in terms of nutrition and gym routine plus, in too many cases, anabolic steroids. There are completely different diets for bulking (muscle gain) and for cutting (fat loss).