work nights and up during the day with my son HELP

Options
I work night shift 3 - 4 days a week and watch my son during the week. I have an odd sleep schedule so some days I stay up for over 24 hours. On those days I seem to be hungry all the time (I guess it helps me stay awake). Is anyone else like this?
I would like some more friends and motivators to keep me on track.

I started a mfp account over a year ago and never used it. So I came back to where I can get some helpful advice and support from others that are trying to loose weight.

Replies

• 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that must be hard! And yes, it would make sense you would have to eat more to stay awake for 24 hours. I guess you just have to make sure it's the right things you are eating. I am definitely not a professional so not sure how to give you advice but I do feel for you.
  • appyred
    appyred Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    he is a great fruit eater and so we have started to share apples and oranges. I have also stopped finishing what he will not eat. I always felt that you shouldn't waste food. But that is the frugal person coming out.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Research has proven that people who get less than seven hours of sleep each night are 30 percent more likely to be obese. Not getting enough sleep affects the flow of hormones that regulate hunger (ghrelin) and satiety (leptin), which can cause a person to eat more. Also, for women, not getting 5 hrs of sleep a night has been shown to increase blood pressure (increses stress related hormones like cortisol).
  • anniebell83
    anniebell83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm on mat leave right now but will be in the same as you. I go back to work in 7.5 weeks. I'll be working 3/4 nights a week for 12 hours. I'm not looking forward to going back to work. Feel free to add me.
  • rocknrachael03
    Options
    I hear you my husbad works third shift and when he has his daughter on the weekends he trys to stay up the whole time to see her. Unfortunetly it is horrible for you body and you sleep habits. I refuse to let him do it anymore he must sleep. Its not fair to his body or her when he's crabby. So with you in mind. Is there any way that you could get a babsitter. Staying up 24 hours is so hard on you and I'm sure being a good mom after being up that long is hard. I know times are tough and its hard to get a sitter but maybe that will help you. :) If not I would stick to snacking on healthy choices. High protein and vegetables keep your metabolism up. Either way good luck and it looks like you've been doing great so just stick with it! :)
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i KNOW how you feel i was working up till this week 3 days odd shifts all day with my 2&4yr olds on weekday 7p-1130p the other 7p-330a and everyother weekend 3p-3a i work in an ER and my 4yr has school 3days/wk and my son see 3 therapists 2days a week at home luckly but also unluckly im able to adjust my hours to 'help' alittle. starting this wk i'm going in for 3days/w 7p-1130p and keeping my 3p-330a's on the weekends the bad thing is with this option i now longer get benefits so no pto (paid time off) anywho feel free to add me.
  • cedenike
    Options
    i also work nights (2-5 days a week) and work afternoons mon-fri. it's definitely a challenge to get quality sleep and not overeat. what i'm currently doing is having a sorta big supper before the night shift and then only having a granola bar during it. before i would have a granola bar for 1st break and lunchables or a sandwich for 2nd break, it helps knowing i'm not spending as much money.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    When I work night shift I am SUPER hungry around 5/6 am. And I crave burgers and fries ug! It helps to snack on healthy things throughout the shift and when I get a craving, drink a protein shake to fill me up (or something like a slim fast).
  • appyred
    Options
    I want to wait till he is old enough to let me know if someone adult or child is being mean or hurting him in day care. That is the reason for my madness.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    I work nights at a Sleep Disorders Lab (yes, the irony is not lost on me the shifts are 12 hours long) and find that when I am on nights I protein load because it keeps me full and helps me not go over to terribly on calories. My co-workers are used to me walking in with a 6 pack of hard boiled eggs. :) I then eat something like oranges and cottage cheese when I get home and a lighter lunch like a salad with a bit of chicken and then save some decent calories for a filling dinner.

I find that it helps me stay full, regulate my sleep pattern for days off and keeps my energy up for that day where you are up around the clock.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi ya!
    I feel for ya man what a tough spot. But hey, got some money coming in so that's always nice right? lol
    I sort of have a jacked up schedule too, in that 2 days in a row each week - I work 14 hour schedules back to back.
    For example, today is one of my back to back days. I work 8a-10p today, then turn around and come right back to do it again tomorrow 8a-10p too.

The thing I learned from my 1st week of like seriously working with MFP (i've had my account for at least 5 years but never logged in, til it became an option for us to surf around on while at work at the start of this year) - the 1st thing I learned that 1st week, was when I work my back to back days - i MUST prepare before hand to tackle that 2nd day.

The 1st day I was under like 15 calories for my daily goal - the 2nd 14 hour day I was over by over 800 calories! lol
    The reason? - lack of sleep!

Whenever i have 2 days back to back, I've always been off either 2 or three days before. So that night before, I go to bed super early and get at least 9-10 hours of sleep to start my new day of working....but that night - by the time i get home from the traveling and do all the other things grownups do (washing face, brushing teeth, picking up my room/man it sucks to be a grown up! lol) - I only manage 5 hours IF I'm lucky....that makes the next day of work like torture - but more so if I don't plan ahead with good food to get me through.

So maybe, if you know your work schedule enough to know when those 24 hours of no sleep times are coming - maybe you can pre-plan some meals?

Something I'm really digging on right now is:
    nature's own double fiber wheat bread = 50 cals each slice (so you have 2 obviously for your sandwich lol)
    dukes light mayo = 50 cals 1 tablespoon
    frenches classic mustard = zero cals
    oscar meyer sliced turkey lunch meat = 60 cals for 3 slices
    and....drumroll please.....
    BABY SPINACH - yes baby spinach on the sandwich. it gives me the most awesome crunch and filling texture to the whole thing that I'm mad crazy about it right now....and get this you can have FOUR CUPS for only 15 cals lol.
    so all that is only = 225 cals!

So I make a few of those up - and heck - if I eat 4 of them on my 14 hour work shift it's only 900 cals and i've eaten like...in bulk.
    usually my lack of sleep days it doesn't really matter WHAT i eat...just as long as i can EAT A LOT OF IT lol.

Hope this info is helpful, I tend to ramble lol

And feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • appyred
    Options
    Thank you for the advice every bit will help. That is why I am here. :smile: