Was that really me?

Options
mebefore_zps9a509d34.jpg

meafter_zpseb3a27fb.jpg

Body image is such a strange thing...I've never seen myself as slender, but I also didn't see myself as fat when I got there. I was always just "overweight" in my own head. That's probably why I wasn't terribly motivated to lose for such a long time (was heavy throughout my thirties).

After my second child was born and I dropped the baby weight, I was at 176 lbs. I had been eating healthy food during my pregnancy, just too much of it, and we also ate fast food on a regular basis. I hadn't exercised since my twenties. Even so, I dropped 12 lbs in the course of trying to eat a little better and breastfeeding. What really started my journey was when my husband and I applied for life insurance in May of 2012. My numbers were actually quite good, but his cholesterol and triglycerides were very high. He's never cared for veggies or fruit much, and like me, he was eating fast food and not exercising.

His test results really put a scare into him, and he was the one to find the MFP site and start using it. I really wasn't interested at first, thinking all I really needed to do was cut down on the fast food and start exercising. However, after watching him use it for a week, it really opened my eyes to the number of calories we were consuming, and I joined the site as well. I was 164 lbs at that time. I also finally put those exercise DVDs I'd bought months ago to use. I found that the one I liked and worked best for me was Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home.

From June to December, I really concentrated on eating only healthy, low cal foods at or a little below the MFP calorie limit. I also exercised 5-6 days per week, doing at least two miles of power walking/jogging and cardio. I didn't know how I'd find the time to exercise, but that old saying of you have to "make" the time really does hold true. In that time, my husband lost 50 lbs (via nutrition alone - he didn't really get into exercising), and I lost 47 lbs and got into the best shape of my life!

Now, I'm in maintenance, but I'm still logging (want to focus even more on my nutrition and also to determine as closely as possible the right daily calories) and I'm still focused on working out in order to continue to tone. Body image is still an odd thing. I really have to look at my pictures from time to time to remind myself that I've lost the weight, but I think I believe it now more than I did back in my teens/twenties when it was really skewed (I went through a bit of anorexia in my late teens). I feel so much healthier, as does my husband, and we feel like we're doing our best to ensure we'll be here for our children. I also hope that our (now) good diet and exercise habits will encourage our children in that direction throughout their lives as well.

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great!! Good job on your hard work!
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing. You look great! One of my hopes, if I have kids, is to show them the right way - live a healthy life! I didn't observe that and now I'm paying for it. I don't want them to journey this path.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! You look so much younger now too! Inspiring.
  • audart
    audart Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! :D
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    fantastic!!
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I have the Leslie Samson videos... I think I will be pulling them off the shelf and start using them..... Thanks for the inspriation! And you have done a fantastic job!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think you have done absolutely fantastic and thanks for sharing! I don't know if its just the picture but in the bottom one you look a little too thin- no offence intended on your hard work
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You actually look a whole generation younger! :wink:
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    OMG so fantastic. great work!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great Job... Awesome accomplishment to be proud of!

I understand the 'not seeing self as fat' just a bit over weight. I too felt that way, it's only 20 lbs. Well all of them add up!

I too plan to use MFP as a maintenance resource.

Thank you for sharing your story and keep it up!
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your work!! It really shows!!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You have made a huge difference not only in how you look, but in your life! I'll bet your are a SUPERB role model for your kiddos!!
  • sammiz1
    sammiz1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!!! Thank you for sharing!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I think you nailed it!! In my mind's eye, I am not as fat as I am when I catch a reflection of myself somewhere. I will see myself, and think am I really that obese?

You have done a great job, congratulations to you and your husband!!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats. You look wonderful!
  • VISCIENTIST
    Options
    Great job. You look awesome. I also want to say thank you. I checked out the Leslie sansone dvds and I really like them. It is something I can do with my mom. She is 61 years and she stays at home with my 8 month old daughter. We can finally workout together. I just told her and she is very excited.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! And to those giving the Leslie Sansone workouts a try, I'm so glad. I really think her workouts bring results, and can be done by anyone at any age. I have never injured myself doing them, and I can't say the same for other workouts I've tried. You can keep challenging yourself with them too - just boost from a walk to a jog and do the moves with more intensity, greater stretch, etc. Anyway, I'm afraid I sound like I work for her company now, and I don't - I'm just an extremely pleased consumer.
  • Sonriendo
    Options
    It's like a diferent person. COngrats:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!