Protein Powder.. or no? Help!

Options
I posted this topic in food and nutrition but then realized it's probably better that I posted it here.

Hello All,

I just recently started getting serious with fitness and MFP. I don't have a serious weight loss plan, as I am already within a healthy weight range for my height. I am 5'9 at 133.4 pounds, and plan to be on the lower end around 125-130 pounds. I've been trying my best to control my eating and plan to get back into my gym routine once I return to school next week. I'm going to start doing cardio and Jilian Michaels 30ds with some weights added. My question for you all is about my diet, and lack of protein.

I wouldn't consider myself a vegetarian, I just don't really eat meat. Unless I have a craving of some sort. I usually eat meat about 1-3 times a week. (yes I know "how do you survive?? " blah blah..) Outside of that I have some nuts occasionally, and beans. I've been considering a whey protein powder as a substitute in my diet to help me. My only concern is bulking up. Which I DON'T want to do.. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Maybe from other vegetarians that have used protein powder?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you won't bulk from adding whey to your diet.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up. It's a false misconception people have. Protein powder is helpful in hitting your protein goals. Go for it! X
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a whey protein powder as a substitute in my diet to help me. My only concern is bulking up. Which I DON'T want to do.. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Maybe from other vegetarians that have used protein powder?

You can use protein powder to boost your protein number if you can't get it from food items.. and you will not bulk up.. Not doing what you mentioned, in fact I would tell you to start doing more weights than cardio and you still won't bulk up.. Never worry about bulking, pick up those heavy weights, eat correctly for your activity.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're not going to bulk. :) I work with a trainer who kicks her butt, eats a ton, and lifts heavy. She is trying to bulk and can't.
  • marniephie
    marniephie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there freedomis, you will not bulk up from consuming protein powder alone. It would take many hours strength/weights training and for you to have a very low body fat percentage to acheive a fitness model standard of 'bulk.'

I also would not recommend using protein powder as your sole/main source of protein for health reasons. Protein powder is a supplement and therefore should supplement your diet, not replace whole foods .

I would suggest if you were looking for more vegetarian sources of protein do a quick google search. Brocolli is amazing for its protein content as are beans, oats, cottage cheese (or any other low fat cheese).

Hope this helps!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk. It's just extra protein to help hit your protein goal.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I suggest fish and chicken because both have a lot of protein but I am not a big fan of protein powder as when I used it I had some pains in my kidneys and digestion problems so I prefer to get my protein from the food I eat and I usually meet my protein goals for the day with chicken and/or fish. I am tall like you I am 5'7 and although I don't want to be as small as you do I find that I get plenty of protein from the foods I eat
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and therefore use protein powder sometimes to help hit that macro goal. There is nothing wrong with using it to help you reach your macros.

Protein powder will not make you bulk up. As a woman it is nearly impossible to do so without some form of drug to help with that.

Protein from food is obviously a much better choice than a powder however if you don't have any issues digesting it there is no problem with using it. There are a lot of protein powders out there that affect people differently so if it's something you want to use try out various types of protein powders if you find one that gives you issues as another poster pointed out. Whey, egg, soy, rice, etc are all various forms of protein powders available.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you won't bulk and if anything I believe it helps build muscle tone which sounds like you're trying to do since you really don't have any weight to lose.. My guess is the only way you would "bulk" is by eating a TON more calories and a TON of protein and fat, etc.

I used to work in a popular nutritional store that sells protein and supplements and there was protein called Mass Gainer... avoid that! :) I believe it was anywhere from 600-800 calories PER 2 scoops. The people coming in for those were little scrawny high school boys wanting to get bigger for football season though. :P

There are plenty of good proteins out there that contain vitamins, BCAAs and are both low carb/sugar and low fat. The one I use is 18g protein per scoop, 1 g fat and I think 3 g carbs.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just protein powder will not make you bulk up. But it will support muscle retention and growth as you work out. I take protein multiple times a day. Only been doing it a few months. But i'm skinny