Can you eat anything you want?

Options
2»

Replies

• damonhughes353
    Options
    thanks for the help. I'll start getting serious This Monday by tracking my diet and working out more. wish me luck!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say this in the marsha marsha marsha old brady bunch way....

"portions control, portion control, portion control!"

okay i'm done.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    what do you mean "macros?"

They said the same thing. eat whatever I like as long as I stay within 1200 thru 2000 calories and myfitpal says 1800 but you're saying I could eat pizza or buger king all day and still lose weight eating 1800

Im am saying yes you could lose weight if you ate burger king, but were still at a caloric deficit. You will find that when you are at low cals its just not worth it to eat some things because you will burn through (probably fat or carbs) real quick.

Do not misunderstand me though, Im not saying eat garbage. I am saying as long as your calories are at a deficit and your macros are decent you can fit anything in there and lose weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the "nowloss diet" is but yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you maintain a calorie deficit and hit your macros.

Calorie deficit = weight loss.

This ^^ The quality of your diet is more about being healthy than about weight loss. Though, if you are overweight, losing weight is itself one of the best things you can do for your health.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the "nowloss diet" is but yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you maintain a calorie deficit and hit your macros.

some would say this statement contradicts itself.

there is actually a 'counter documentary' (if that makes any sense) to the Supersize me movie. Supersize Me was when the guy ate only Mcdonalds for a month and records what it does to his weight and sense of well being. i dont' know if the supersize me guy said he was eating any specific number of calories, just ate what he wanted.

Apparently some accountant watched it and was conviced that it didn't make sense froma numbers stand point. So he made a documentary (can't remember the name) where he ate a sensable amount of calories a day, but all of them being from Mcdonalds.

He actually lost weight becasue of the strict calorie goals. He must have been over eating before.

It really is as simply as calories in vs calories out.

HOWEVER, your macros are going to matter a lot more as you get closer to an 'ideal' weight. and if they are way out of wack (like your eating over 50% fat or something) then eventually most people are going to experience some kind of health problem.
  • NurseEmmyRN
    NurseEmmyRN Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in school now working to be an endocrinologist, and so I study diet and the body quite a bit. In general, for a healthy person you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight so long as calories in is always less than calories out. However, many different foods have different affects on your brain and how you perceive hunger. A cake and ice cream diet can definitely inflict a blood sugar drop once those sugars are rapidly digested which your brain will interpret as a reason to eat more and so give you a nice big hunger sensation. People with hormone disorders (ie diabetes, thyroid problems, PCOS, etc) have even more factors to consider. So, the answer is, avoid obviously bad food options and stay under calorie goals for healthy adults. Talk to your doctor about diet specifics if you have outstanding health issues.
  • chimp517
    Options
    Once you get going you will drive right past burger king, trust me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Also the more 'out of wack' your marco are, the harder its going to be to exercise and gain muscle if thats any of your goals.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

^ Yes. I think you may or may not, I do, but I also eat pizza and ice cream pretty regularly (but it comes and goes in waves to be honest. One month yes, One month no). And yes, for me its basic "real food" pizza, but the trick is eliminating certain foods as "trigger"s or "the enemy". Start only doing what is absolutely necessary to reach your goals and screw the rest. Life is too short.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

some would say this statement contradicts itself.

there is actually a 'counter documentary' (if that makes any sense) to the Supersize me movie. Supersize Me was when the guy ate only Mcdonalds for a month and records what it does to his weight and sense of well being. i dont' know if the supersize me guy said he was eating any specific number of calories, just ate what he wanted.

Apparently some accountant watched it and was conviced that it didn't make sense froma numbers stand point. So he made a documentary (can't remember the name) where he ate a sensable amount of calories a day, but all of them being from Mcdonalds.

He actually lost weight becasue of the strict calorie goals. He must have been over eating before.

It really is as simply as calories in vs calories out.

HOWEVER, your macros are going to matter a lot more as you get closer to an 'ideal' weight. and if they are way out of wack (like your eating over 50% fat or something) then eventually most people are going to experience some kind of health problem.

I don't understand. What statement contradicts itself?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i do IIFYM (if it fits your macros)... but for the most part i eat "clean foods" anyways because i am more satiated, and honestly you cant get enough micronutrients.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Within reason, yes, you can eat anything you want, just not all on the same day. You have to stay in control of your calorie count, and you will run out of calories a lot faster if you are eating - for example - chocolate cake as opposed to fruits and vegetables.

Also, your body has nutritional needs. If you want good health and energy, there are certain food groups you will need to have in your diet, although the exact requirements vary according to personal philosophy - vegan vs omnivore, etc.
  • chimp517
    Options

^ Yes. I think you may or may not, I do, but I also eat pizza and ice cream pretty regularly (but it comes and goes in waves to be honest. One month yes, One month no). And yes, for me its basic "real food" pizza, but the trick is eliminating certain foods as "trigger"s or "the enemy". Start only doing what is absolutely necessary to reach your goals and screw the rest. Life is too short.

Oh yeah, I eat pizza, but usually I make it myself with higher quality ingredients. I think this way of doing it is superior to other restrictive diets in that it accounts for real life. You will be in situations with friends and families where there would be food that would not fit into (whatever fad diet). Yes, will power can work for a while but come on, like you said life is short.
  • BootyShakingBadAss
    BootyShakingBadAss Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    don't confuse "whatever you want" with "however much you want".

^^ AMEN!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Exactly! And the more you get excited about nutrition (this is a thing that happened to me....excitement....about nutrition), the more you'll want to drive past it to the grocery store, get the 93/7 lean beef, get the whole grain buns with the highest fiber and protein content that still taste great, get the lower fat cheeses, get the great fresh veggies that compliment the meat, and make your own. You'll want to perfect it. You might even take a photo of it and share it with MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I don't understand. What statement contradicts itself?

i just meant what the guy above me said, most will assume 'whatever' includes quantity
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options

^This
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help. I'll start getting serious This Monday by tracking my diet and working out more. wish me luck!
    That's a good way to start. If you just log your 'regular' eating for a week you have a place to go from. Once you find out how much you are eating, you can look through your logs and see for example that you are 'wasting' half of your daily budget on a whopper for lunch that doesn't even keep you full for more than 30 minutes, and you can then find something that you like that will replace it with a lot fewer calories and yet keep you satisfied until dinner, or a smaller meal plus a few little snacks between if that works better for you.

While you can lose weight eating 1800 calories of burger king a day, what you can't do is feel satisfied all day on the tiny amount of it that adds up to 1800. That's probably why people gain weight eating it often, is because you have to eat so damn much of it to get anywhere. (For me it's two whoppers or better two double whoppers.)

Instead of thinking of some foods as bad, figure out which ones work for you, fill you up, etc and (at a pace you're comfortable with) shift your eating habits toward those foods instead of worrying about "cutting out" certain things. If you feel like you're starving, you're doing it wrong. If you feel like you're deprived of foods you really like, you're doing it wrong. You can work in any of the things you love if you keep the calories within your limit. But also be aware that after a couple weeks of changing what you eat, your tastes will adjust and like others said you will drive right past burger king without even wanting it. (Although I still happily pig out on Pizza Hut or similar every week or two and am still losing a pound a week because it fits my calorie limit.)

Just remember it should be a way of eating and moving that keeps you happy and satisfied as well as healthy, because unless you want to gain it all back afterward you're going to need to keep living your new lifestyle forever.