Working up to 5K; incorporate hills during or after?

Options
Hello everyone!

I am currently doing the C25K program to get back into running (I took a LONG time off). Right now I am on week 5. My run route for the most part is very flat...only a few inclines here and there and no hills.

My attitude is to eventually be able to run hills as well. Although I have done them a few times during my training, I don't do it often and still struggle when I do.

My question is, should I incorporate running hills into my training, or wait until I am running 5K completely and then start incorporating hills?

For reference, my minutes per mile is around 13 mins per mile (4.3 mph) but that is including the 5 minute warm up / 5 minute cool down as well as walks throughout the C25K program. When I used to run non-stop, I would typically hover around 9 to 10 minutes a mile. I have knee problems from time to time and have extremely flat feet, but I work through it.

Thanks!

Replies

• FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I would mix it up....I would maybe do a small amount of hill work but not worry about it too much. Im part of a running club and it's very flat where we live...hill work for a lot of us is bloody hard work so I think incorporating it in right from the start would be a good idea xx
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks girl...that's the feedback I am getting from most people. So it looks like my next run I will be taking the hilly route!
  • TallishTom
    TallishTom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Incorporate them now but slow down on them at first (even go to power walking). Very different muscle loads are in play so pushing too hard can set you right back.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My slightly different take is to get to the distance you want first then work on speed and inclines. On your off days, you could also do some hill intervals while walking, which will help condition you a bit more for when you run them but still allow you recovery time from your runs.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you plan on running outdoors, I'd recommend starting up some low hills, though you don't really get a "downhill" on a treadmill. If you plan on staying indoors, you can just slowly increase your incline as you progress.

As for your feet, insoles are wonderful things. I think I have them in every pair of shoes I own.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If they're part of your route, I'd run them (slow your pace on the up until they get easier, walk if you have to). If they're not, I wouldn't seek them out until you're comfortable running.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    If you plan on running outdoors, I'd recommend starting up some low hills, though you don't really get a "downhill" on a treadmill. If you plan on staying indoors, you can just slowly increase your incline as you progress.

As for your feet, insoles are wonderful things. I think I have them in every pair of shoes I own.

^THIS!

I had some foot issues at some point after running and got new running shoes (my old pair was probably worn out and not providing the support I needed anymore) and purchased separate insoles (not just the flimsy paper things that came with my running shoes). BUT the guy at the running store rightly pointed out that you only wear your running shoes like x hours a week, versus your other shoes you wear all day. So he told me to stop wearing flat shoes with no support, and get insoles for as many shoes as I can. TOTALLY worth it. Haven't had foot issues since.
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A lot to think about and thanks for the feedback! I run outdoors currently. I think I will start working them in. I run three days a week, at least take the hilly route on at least one of them.

I DEFINITELY need to invest in some new insoles! Any suggestions on the best ones?

I have big feet (12 in women's)! so please feel free to suggest a men's insole since most manufacturers think our sizes magically stop at size 10 (sarcasm).

Thanks!