Sugar from Fruit

I've given up all junk food and have been eating really healthy these past few weeks. One concern I have is on the food diary.
So far I've had 1 grapefruit and 1 apple for fruit today, and I am almost double my allowed sugar intake.
I'm not just watching overall calories but how those calories are broken down between fat, carb protein plus sodium and sugar
I love eating fruit and it fills me up.
There are so many schools of thought on this, where now I think weightwatchers adds no points for fruit, and Sears states that the sugar will cause insulin spikes (and I know this makes you fat) and should be limited.
I am looking for opinions from those of you who have had successful weight loss.

Signed Confused.

Replies

• lauralouw91
    lauralouw91 Posts: 36 Member
    i realised this too. i cant give you much advice but i personally add the fruit to my diary but ignore the sugar content as if i wasnt snacking on fruit id be snacking on chocolate and crisps so its got to be better.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    I try to limit my fruit because I was pre-diabetic and was told by my doctor not to eat fruit because you just don't need all the sugars. Yes, there are alot of vitamins in fruit but I take vitamins everyday so I'm not worried about losing and vitamins. I still have the problem of too much sugar due to my love of bread and pasta.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    I have issues with this too. From what I've heard sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. But sugar from fruit is ok. Its all very confusing to me. I try to limit my fruits to 2 a day because the sugar thing bothers me. Usually when I eat fruit it is in my homemade granola bars or a smoothie, so hopefully that doesn't spike my insulin levels as much as just eating fruit by itself. Sorry I wasn't more help :/
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Eat your fruit and don't worry about it.
  • kristyw76
    kristyw76 Posts: 10 Member
    From what I understand there is a difference in the way our bodies process the sugars from fruit and veggies versus the way we process sugars from breads, cereals, and other sources. There are simple sugars and complex sugars. Fruit falls in the simple category and does not cause the "spike" that makes you fat. By all means, if you are not under orders by a doctor to limit your fruit intake then enjoy it without the worry!! =)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Unless - like Jeanine - you are diabetic or have other problems with sugar, don't worry about it. They are carbs.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member

Thank you for this wonderful statement!!! Yes fruit has carbs but unlike a candybar fruit is nutient dense, not calorie dense.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member

Thank you for telling me what I was hoping to hear :)
    I have no reason to limit sugar intake except for weight loss, so I will continue to
    enjoy my fruit and not worry how far it puts me over on the food diary.
  • lauralouw91
    lauralouw91 Posts: 36 Member
    id rather get vitamins and all that stuff naturally from fruit and be over my sugar
    im a pharmacist and tbh the vitamins in vitamin tablets arnt really at a level to make any difference. vit c tabs for example to actually prevent a cold you have to overdose on the recommend daily levels of vit c which has other effects, Just pointless retailing!
    years ago people managed to live and be at a good weight wihout all these supplements and crap, yes they died at younger ages but thats due to poor living conditions.
    god i sound up myself!