New and wondering is it really possible?

Options
Hi, I'm new and scared! I am a 41 year old female who is 60 pounds overweight. Is it possible for a woman my age to lose 60 lbs? I don't ask this out of stupidity but out of concern and repeated failure. I want to do this but I know I need support and motivation! Is this a good community for this?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Replies

• sumba11239
    sumba11239 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you believe you can, then it is totally possible. I'm 43 and I know without a shadow of a doubt that I'm going to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm not sure how long it is going to take me, but that doesn't matter because I know I'm going to do it.
  • rahholland
    rahholland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am new here myself and I totally think it is possible! It will take time and effort but in the end it will be worth it! I think you will find some great support here and also some great information. You have already made that first step! Good luck and you can totally do this!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I lost 72 pounds at 48 years old. I'm about 6 pounds higher than that now (I'm 51 now), but have recommitted to a healthy lifestyle and will lose the additional 30 this year.

41 years old is still young!
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have lost 24lbs so far and hoping to lose 20 more. You CAN DO IT!!! Feel free to add me...
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place! The people here are great, they give support, motivation and fantastic advice. WELCOME!! :)
  • Fat2Fitby30
    Options
    Anything is possible!! With dedication and hard work you can lose that 60lbs. :happy:
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I thought I was too old to ever get thin again, too. I'm 39. This site has taught me so much and I now understand where I was going wrong. I've lost alot more weight than I have in years and years, and I am happy to take it slow and I hope with my fitness plan and by watching what I eat on here, I will get the results I want. I've been on here about 200 days. My thingie (below) shows that I have reached my goal but that's just an interim goal, I have much more I can lose. If you put the effort in to learning about what you eat and how to eat and exercise, you can achieve your goals and this site is a great tool to help you! That being said, I ain't perfect ... :)
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost between 25-30 pounds at 41. You can certainly do it!
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible! There are some fantastic success stories to read on this site. I'm just a week in to my calorie counting using MFP. I found that over the years of doing 'diet plans' whether WeightWatchers, Slimming World or one of the many others, I'd lost sight of the basics. Calories. I was shocked at how many calories were in the food I was eating compared to the calories I thought were in those foods! After tracking everything I ate and (more or less) sticking to my recommended calories for a week, I lost 4.5 pounds on my first 'weigh-in'! I've got a very long road to travel with my weight loss but I know that this time I'll reach my ideal weight. I'm 51 - so there's hope for us all! Feel free to add me if you want a friend and extra support.
  • misty11406
    Options
    I am Misty I am 31 yrs old and about 125 lbs. over weight. I started using this app 2 weeks ago and have already lost 7 lbs. by just tracking calories. This week I plan on adding some exercise to my new lifestyle. I am cutting carbs as much as possible. I hope everyone who see's this post has success. I have struggled with my weight for years. I have a condition known as PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), that makes it hard to lose weight. But my doctor said to cut out almost all carbs and the weight will come off. So I am going to keep up my good work and best of luck to all.
  • XXbrendaXX
    Options
    It is definitely possible! I started 6 months ago at the age of 42, and I have lost 88 lbs so far. I have a ways to go yet, but I am commited to getting there! It is all in our hands, we are in charge....if you are commited to making the necessary changes, you will get there!

Wishing you much success! :happy:
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible! I'm 43 and I've lost 27# since September. That's without being overly strict (I cheat) and not always exercising as much as I should, etc......It's just a matter of really wanting to do it, and finding what works best for you. :happy: You can do it!!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yup - 53 here and lost 80 and working on another 20 - 30... You can do it - if you believe in yourself and really want to commit to the new healthier you...

You will do it!
  • In2ThinAir
    Options
    Hi there! Wow I sure hope it is possible. I will be 42 soon and am on the way down the scale. I've lost about 27 so far and have about 60 more to go. If you're looking for new friends ( I am!) feel free to add me.
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am 35 and lost 94lbs since Feb 2012. It is definitely possible, but be prepared to put in the work and you will be successful too. Good luck and best wishes!
  • karyn3037
    Options
    It is absolutely possible!!! I am 38 and have more to loose than you do....You just have to put your mind to it and go...I am restarting from falling off the healthy wagon.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    set little goals in increments of 10 lbs each time, then it doesn't feel so daunting. It isn't easy but the process can be fun. Enjoy it, you will learn a lot of great info and you will hopefully also find a love for fitness too. I am 41 too and almost to my ideal weight. I have been heavy my entire life. It just depends on how bad you want it. And add a bunch of supportive cheerleaders, I couldn't have done what I did without friends.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm not 41 but I will be 39 on April 30th. Since last April I have lost almost 50 LBS. I've lost 37 LBS since September 1. I do believe its posible.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible if you believe. I started on my weight loss journey at the age of 43. I have lost a total of 54lbs. I still have 25lbs to go to get to my goal weight of 125. I haven't weighted what I weight now since I was in my late 20's. You just have to want it.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    absolutely! i am 54 and lost 20 lbs. I started with a juice fast for 3 days and got rid of cravings and gradually I started to increase my activity. I hate to exercise but I love to walk - so I got a pedometer and walk 10000+ steps a day.
    Just start off logging everything you eat and all exercise
    Cut out all liquid calories (juice, drinks with added sugar, alcohol), fried foods, processed foods
    Increase fruits, vegetables, lean protein (skinless poultry and fish), legumes (peas and beans)
    MFP is great!
    Make small changes that you will be able to stick with for life
    You aren't getting any younger, so the longer wait to get started living a healthier life, the harder it will be to lose weight.
    But it is always possible - it just takes determination, hard work and good friends to support you on MFP