Am i doing this right?

Options
I am 216. 27 years old. Considered obese. Awesome! BUT I am trying to change that and I feel good about it. But I havent seen many results in the last 2 months. I hear about people losing 40 pounds in 3 months..that cannot be healthy but Ive lost not even 5 pounds in 2 months. I workout regularly, eat 1600 cals/day.

I do at least 30 mins of cardio almost every day, plus 10 mins of warm up and 10 to cool down...Probably burn 150-200 cals each time. I do pilates, Jillian Michaels and Zumba, depending on the day and what I feel like doing. I don't have an exact routine but I feel like I am working hard and pushing myself every time. I drink plenty of water. I feel like Ive barely seen results and getting a little discouraged thinking about it all without seeing results. At the end of the day, when I finish my food diary, they say I should weigh 207 in 5 weeks. Its been saying that for as long as Ive been on MPF. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine keeps saying I should weigh whatever in 5 weeks too. Not happening, but I am slowly losing weight. I did glance at your diary. Some days you are not eating much! One comment I have is that try eating cleaner? Looks like a lot of processed foods..... not as bad as some people.

I have lost over 20 lbs in 5 months. Ok, so not the speedy track here. i am still way too sedentary, but have started exercising more the past 6 weeks. I feel better. My clothes fit better, heck one one pair of pants is starting to fall off!

I would suggest eating cleaner and watching the sodium. Otherwise it seems that you are doing pretty good. You have alot of friends, are they active? supportive? I have 2 friends who look at my diary daily and they do criticize! Which is good for me. And knowing that they are going to be looking helps me make better choices. I also get really good food ideas from looking at their diary. Do you do any weight lifting? I have heard that helps alot, keeps the metabolism up longer than just doing cardio. I do a little bit of weights with my ab work but don't go to gym so only have a few weights.

Hang in there and try to find out more info. I like nerd fitness and am sure there are other sites with good info. Whole living had a cleansing 3 week diet in last one I got. Don't think I could do it, but you would certainly lose weight if you did!

I have also tried to avoid wheat as I tend to overeat pasta, bread, etc. Can't say I am gluten free but I notice my joints feel alot better from cutting way back.

Hang in there, will be thinking of you. You certainly have the motivation!
  • Jessm130
    Jessm130 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat.. I started doing classes at my gym and noticed a little loss but then I stopped and am trying.to do it on my own.. but I've been stuck at 193 for a while now.. maybe try throwing in some weight lifting, it burns.more than just cardio alone. also some tips I got from other mfp friends is look at where your 1600 are coming from, mostly fruits and veggies or carbs and junk? good luck and you can do it! I know one thing my sister did when she lost a ton of weight in a few months was she ate very small portions, only like 1200 a day and did at least 30 to an hour of cardio a day.. you'll get to where you wanna be just don't give up!
  • HollyLlama1980
    Options
    After a quick glance at your diary, I definitely think you need to cut out the boxed and processed foods. Also seems like you might want to limit your carb intake (awhen you do eat carbs, eat complex carbs) and definitely increase your protein intake. You might also need to do a bit more cardio and add in some weight-bearing exercises too.
  • warrior63
    Options
    I agree with eileenchristi. Nutrition is a HUGE factor in reaching your goals. Exercise is important as well. Get rid of processed foods, refined sugars, and any junk food. It can be tough but those things will get you nowhere. Pastas, bread, soft drinks, canned foods, etc...are culprits. Eat clean. Lots of veggies, fruits, lean meats, and fish are great for you.
    I know you can do this and you will do great!!! Just keep being active...don't skip meals...eat clean...and drink plenty of water.
    You got this...Keep moving forward!! Your goals are in reach!!!
    Warrior63
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Ive learned to never ignore the sodium content of what i am eating! I usually cut the max amount of recommended sodium by half because its still a high number for anyone. Cut back sodium, drink a lot of water. Recommeded you take your weight, divide by two and drink that amount in ounces ever day. I struggle like you too, im just gettting back on track this week but these are tips others have shared with me in the past that have helped me drop weight. Also, eating back my workout calories in raw or whole foods is good too. I still struggle to do this but i need to remember that the weeks that i did do this are the weeks i lost the most weight.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not knowing how tall you are, I assumed 5ft 4" and input the numbers at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ .

If so, 1600 Cals isn't enough to fuel your particular body - especially if you're exercising multiple times per week.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and follow the directions. It still may take 2-4 weeks after implementing your changes, but it should set you straight.
  • SaraLily85
    SaraLily85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions. I just need to take a step back and notice the usual things I overlook. I mean, Im always checking things for how many cals in a serving and I stick by that, but I guess a healthy calorie is better than an unhealthy one.