Who Just Eats Normal VS Who Eats Healthy/Organic/Low Carb...

Options

Replies

• XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I eat like Michael Phelps.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As stated already, you need to do what works for your mind and body. If you mentally can't live without pasta, then don't try to live without it...you'll just set yourself up to fail. But do everything in moderation. I don't really restrict anything, but over time I have found that the healthier I eat, the more I am losing interest in foods I used to crave.

A huge example is red meat. I maybe eat a burger once every couple months, and that is just because I am out with coworkers, and we end up going to places that have all organic beef (Elevation Burger is a cool place). Honestly, I find myself liking meat less and less. I find myself always wanting fish, and have been really enjoying vegetarian meals...all home cooked though...frozen and store-prepared stuff usually sucks IMO.

I have tried every diet and way of eating, and in the end I just eat healthy, watch my macro numbers, and just make sure I am mentally fine with what I eat. For me, that means like my pasta example...I am not completely denying myself something I love.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I didn't read it.

Just thought I'd mention that my diet has changed a lot.

About 80% of my intake is whole foods with about 20% being "cheat meals".

My "cheat meals" still fit within my macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I just watched my calories...pretty much ate what I wanted as long as I was within my goal. Gradually I became more aware of my macronutrients and what foods made up those macros. As I started managing my macros, I also started making better overall decisions about my diet...I pretty much had to in order to meet my macro goals.

I actually don't think there's anything abnormal about the way I eat other than I probably get more servings of veg and fruit than the average American and my diet is far more balanced than it ever used to be...but I don't specifically cut anything out and haven't really changed how I cook too much. I just try to make sure I get my veg and a little fruit and hit my macro goals...all while eating very well.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Why isn't eating healthily 'normal' or 'regular food'? What is abnormal about fruit, veg, meat, fish, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds? The only 'food' group some of us restrict is the junk category.

AGREED!

Yup this. I eat normal food. I eat healthy food. I eat some junk but try to keep it to a minimum. I try to make meals from scratch and buy food products with few ingredients.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat a combination of normal and organic. I try to avoid anything with corn syrup or too many artificial ingredients. I don't buy organic meat (too expensive) so I try to limit my intake. I eat a mix of organic/non organic fruit and veggies. I also try to track my potassium and sodium. I also don't limit my carbs. I love carbs! I think you should do whatever works for you.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same things as I did before, just not as much, and obviously having to log what you eat naturally makes you not put somethings in your mouth. For now the 'less calories' change is enough. As I get better at that and/or my weight loss slows down I'll incorporate other changes. I can't imagine I'll ever have a clean diet, but someday I hope to be 'more' clean. :)
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, just slightly less of it. HOWEVER, being on the forums and reading up on nutrition I have tried to get in more veggies and sometimes I make half an attempt at fitting into my macros. I admire people who try to get all their calories in a healthy way! I am just young and don't care about it as much right now since my stats (good and bad cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.) are pretty phenomenal. If McDonalds fits in my calories, I'll eat it!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I've cut out a lot of the fatty stuff (like ...Oh, I dunno...bleu cheese dressing and ranch, which I really miss, but that's ok- healthy looks better than they taste anyway), don't do fried foods anymore, and exercise more portion control
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly I do BOTH (shame on me huh for not choosing). I eat normal but I must admit that when I DO eat healthy/clean, I feel BEST (i.e. in my body)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Restrictive diets like high protein diets can cause kidney and liver problems. Most athletes at the highest level only eat like .8 grams per body weight, but realistically it's closer to .6 These diets like low fat or all vegetarian diets work because you're cutting 1 macro nutrient down significantly and restricting calories.

In my opinion, these diets work for people who don't track their food. They attribute their caloric deficit to one specific "diet" when they could just eat a balanced diet and eat less. I think when you eat vegetables and fruits your micro-nutrition will be much higher than someone eating McDonald's at the same caloric intake at the end of the day.
  • pyro2uk
    pyro2uk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always just gone the simple route:

1. Eat less in general - my portion control was awful, so buying scales was a big jump forward;

2. Bulk out with good stuff - with portions of things like pasta going down, veg went up. It's low cal, high fibre and makes meals "big" again;

3. Try to reduce refined foods - I'm not an absolutist, but eating less refined food makes me feel better. If it's placebo effect, I'll take it. Generally, refined foods contain worse things than something made from basic ingredients. Take a look at a "healthy" cereal like muesli - some of them can be depressing.

4. Use versions of food that are "better" - skimmed milk, wholewheat pasta, sweet potatoes. Try moving over to something that's healthier or has some benefit over what you love rather than ditching it completely. Getting down because you miss pasta will not help you.

5. Work around your life - I try to make eggs in the morning, but if I get up late or I'm doing an early morning gym run, I'll throw some oats, yoghurt, and banana in tupperware and head off. Don't create an eating plan that requires more time than you can commit or you'll get that "fallen off the wagon" low when you can't stick to it.

Generally I fall into the healthy eating camp. I don't aim for low carb. I do aim for low calorie, but it's pretty easy when you eat loads of veg instead of refined carbs.
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this journey. And, I knew I wouldn't stick with it if I restricted entire food groups. I tend to particularly like "junk" food and carbs. So, cutting them completely out would just equal failure for me. So, I'm eating "normally". I've restricted the fast food to almost nil. I'm currently working on my sweet tooth and limiting soda.

Aside from that, MFP has helped me learn about the calorie content of foods (I was focused way too much on fat content instead of calories). That has helped me make better overall choices.

And, I practice mindful eating. So, I can have a treat like chocolate dipped peanuts. But, eating 3 tastes just a good as eating 40 of them.
  • leogerl
    leogerl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not following any certian diet. I watch my calories & probably the biggest thing is portion control. I have a scale so I've started weighing foods, especially when portion sizes are listed in weight, it makes a big difference. So I know I'm eating 1 once of chips if that' what the serving size is. I haven't completely eleminated soda but I have a 1 liter in the fridge that's been there for a month. I drink 8oz at a time & it's a treat for me. I try to make healthier choices, if we get fast food for lunch then I'm hitting Subway instead of McDonalds. We've been using whole wheat & whole grain pasta for years now so that's makes a difference when we do make home made mac-n-cheese or spagetti. I try to add veggies into things like squash in the mac-n-cheese. I love having fruit in the house, apples are practicaly a staple, & we might also have bananas, grapes, oranges, or fresh pineapple. We can, so I have homemade chicken noodle soup along with chicken & turkey stock so I know what went into them. We don't add salt to anything. The changes I make have to be gentle when it applies to the whole family, which I try for changes for everyone.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Still new to this but, I eat mostly the same things. Now I measure and eat a healthy portion instead of eating until I "felt" full. I have cut out soda, white sugar and bread except wheat bread for an occasional sandwich or toast. I drink water exclusively and haven't had any sweet tea in a month. I'll make more changes as time goes on. I know if I try to make a bunch of changes at once I will quit. I didn't get fat in a month and I cant fix it in a month.

Wonders if I should have made this two paragraphs.......hmmm
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I didn't know that my way of eating (wholefoods, vegetables, organic and natural along with eating out once in awhile )was abnormal. I thought it was pretty normal. Just the same way I think a diet based on eating out is also normal. Abnormal in my opinion would be to follow crash diets, or the latest quick fix that is been advertised on TV.

^^ yep ^^

I am a huge believer in REAL food (nothing processed, organics, pastured meats, full organic fats, nothing Light or Fat free, no artificial sweeteners, no HFCS etc.) - it really works for me and I feel like million bucks when I eat like that. Our bodies are not built to deal with chemicals very well, hence all these diseases of western world we are plagued with, including obesity.

I buy mostly organic, not everything though, just the biggest culprits, definitely YES to grass fed meats and organic dairy though! And I go for portion control, that is one of the main reasons I am on MFP - tracking my portions!
    We go out occasionally (maybe 1x month) and once in a while if I want to I will eat JUNK and ENJOY it - like Frosty from Wendy's :-) 1x year maximum, it's is not going to kill me :-)

But that is just my opinion and I am a huge fan of people eating what they think is right for them, and I hate people shoving their way of eating down other's throats, so I avoid doing that! To each its own!!! DO what works for you!
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I struggle with food choices. I feel best when I eat whole fresh fruits/vegetables with some protein. I do incorporate that into my diet 70% of the time. I have a weakness for pizza though, so I also eat it about twice a week. I usually have 2 slices with 1/2 of a regular soda. It taste so good, but it usually makes me feel really sleepy and lazy afterwards.

Everyone has a different balance. The key is work on your health by choosing the right amount of food, exercise, and rest that keeps your body running optimally. I personally feel like my cheat days are becoming a problem because then i want to cheat more. I'm trying to incorporate eating better 90% of the time, and just sticking to unhealthy, greasy foods for special occasions. I have spent my life binging on junk food and I ended up here, overweight and unhappy.

It is a day-to-day process. Research your options. Don't listen to people who tell you their lifestyle is the right and only way because it might not work for you. Good luck!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I find it kinda sad that "normal" and "healthy" are in opposing categories. I also find it sad that "healthy" and "insert decreased macronutrient of choice here diet" are in the same category.

I eat "normal". I eat mostly whole foods - meats, veggies, eggs, dairy, rice (not grains; coeliac) - and I also have a treat daily, like a piece of chocolate or some ice cream. Or a bar of chocolate and a carton of ice cream. Whatever.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I primarily eat lean meat (mostly game), wild caught fish, eggs, rice and lots of veggies. When available, mostly organic. Almost all of our meals are made from scratch. Snacks are mostly nuts, rice crackers and avocados. Sweets are minimal, we rarely eat out (mostly because of a lack of good restaurants) and I haven't had a soda in many years.

Because of intollerances, I'm gluten and dairy free and keep corn and soy to a minimum. I also avoid HFCS, MSG, artificial sweeteners and most other modified substances and man made chemicals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started a low crap diet about 12 years ago. I'm still on it. I intend to stay with it.
    Yes, I use the word diet. :happy:

I try to eat reasonably clean.
    I try to get plenty of protein and leafy greens
    I try not to eat processed carbs.
    I try to avoid deep fried foods.
    I try to avoid sugar.
    I think I succeed about 80% of the time

For me this is sustainable.
    It makes me feel good.
    It has allowed me to maintain weight loss without much deprivation.
    To me eating food is normal.