Living without a Thyroid - Reduced Metabolism

Options
Anyone here living without a thyroid and taking thyroid hormone replacement....and having difficulty losing weight? I would like to hear how you have succeeded in losing weight despite the added challenge of a compromised metabolism. Thanks! SketchArtist

Replies

• emilyfaudi
    emilyfaudi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had my thyroid removed about 5 years ago and have struggled with weight loss. I started on another diet and I'm using the myfitness app now and it's been very helpful. I've been using it for a week and a half now and I've gotten pretty good at logging everything.
  • moncheree86
    moncheree86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I still have my thyroid, however i have Hoshimoto's which is very similar since I cannot afford the medication. However logging foods everyday for the last 3 weeks and exercising everyday for the last 11 days I have managed to lose 9 lbs. i check my weight about every other day because I'm very impatient to see results. It will stay at the same number for like 5 days straight and i start getting discouraged... but then as if over night a whole pound is gone!! Just makes me that much more motivated to lose it. It does take longer for people with a thyroid disorder to lose the weight but it is so worth it to feel so much healthier and not to mention finally feel like you have some control over your body after all. Just keep at it it is all worth it in the end, DON"T GIVE UP!!! A whole support network is on here if you use it!!
  • pdy818
    pdy818 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you both for your encouragement and help. It is frustrating. I too watch the scales every day. Perhaps I shouldn't, but that's the only way I can stay on track. I just started a new thyroid replacement therapy. It's NatureThroid. I had to get off Synthroid. Too many problems to share here. But I'm feeling much more alert and healthy. Now if I can just get my metabolism, or what there is of it, to kick in and do its job....I'll be very happy. I don't want to be extremely thin...just the best that I can be for my age and body type. This aint' it..... L)L ;) I do need to get more exercise. I ordered an elliptical that friends said is an amazingly effective workout. We'll see. I don't expect miracles. Just consistency. Love My Fitness Pal. It does help me in planning my meals. Thank you all again. I look forward to learning more from others.
  • cdwilson2003
    Options
    I had my thyroid out about four years ago and have been on snythroid since, which is constantly fluctuating. But I figure if I get this EXTRA weight it will help a lot of my health issues. Good luck on your journey!