PCOS, Hypothyroidism, and Insulin Resistance. What to do?

Options
Hi all,
I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism, and Insulin Resistance, and as for all with these, it is very difficult to lose weight. I've been trying to do research and reading books to help me figure out the right lifestyle changes to make, but there seems to be so much out there, that I don't know what is right, and what isn't. Is there anyone out there dealing with these things that has had success losing weight? What kind of diet did you adopt? What kind of exercise did you do?
Thank you so much!

Replies

• Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance too. paleo seems to work best for me, just watch your intake of red meat and cholesterol since we tend to be more susceptible to heart disease.
  • kalang0915
    kalang0915 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and IR. I have very bad side effects except the weight. Not that I'm skinny by any means but I am able to lose just at a slow rate. I must be doing something right bc I have gotten TOM 2 times in last 4 months and that never EVER happens for me. I'm just starting out on this lifestyle change. Right now I'm trying to eat better and have really stepped up my exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Good Luck!!!
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance two weeks ago. It all makes sense now why the scale just wouldn't budge despite my attempts of eating less and moving more. I started making changes four months ago. It took a food plan overhaul, 4-5 days of exercise a week, and now Metformin for me to see changes. I have lost 2 lbs a week so far.

Food: The dietician gave me a carb limit to work with. I get 12 servings of carbs (180 grams) within 1500 calories. I switched out most simple carbs with complex carbs and use stevia/truvia instead of other sugar substitutes. I stay fuller longer with the complex carbs. I lmostly follow a "clean eating diet." it is hard to follow this perfectly so I try to stick to 80% of it. My diet is 45% carbs, 30% carbs, 25% fat. I gave up fast food, soda, sugary condiments, and anything high in sodium. I make a lot of my food from scratch and look up everything on MFP before ordering at restaurants.

Exercise: 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, and 30 minutes of weight/resistance workouts 3 times a week. I'm still trying to figure out a good balance in all this, but I am seeing results! Some days I use the elliptical. Some days it's a walk/jog on the track. On "fun" days we play basketball, volleyball, zumba, etc. My goal is to keep moving and stay active. I am using some of the exercise machines for arms and legs. I want to transition to free weights and do lunges, squats, etc. The calesthentic type of workouts are ideal. I do ab exercises on the mat a few times a week too.

I have tried WW, Nutrisystem, Slim Fast, p90x, advocore, Isagenix, plexus slim, and phentermine. What ultimately worked for me is simply a cleaner diet and exercise with consistency. I found the programs had good intentions, but I have the most success on MFP. Keep it simple! Log everything and find your patterns. I am an apple shape; my body responds to high protein and low carb. Resistance training is definitely needed for me to lose weight. The exercises of p90x are effective though it's too hardcore for me right now. Advocare's cleanse program was what helped me start the clean eating, but it can be done without.
  • kindelk1
    kindelk1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm working on eating healthier (lots of veggies, less carbs, more protein) and adding workouts of 20-30min Cardio, and Weight lifting 3-5 days a week. This sounds in line with that you guys are offering. Thanks!
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and insulin resistant too. I found that lowering my carbs and eating 6 small protein carb balanced meals a day is what did the trick for me. Keeping my blood sugars balanced is key.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    Yay I love this thread; you guys are an inspiration. I don't like seeing that others have a tough time but I do like knowing that I'm not alone. I have all these conditions too and mild lupus. It can sometimes be mind blowingly hard to lose weight. I've been at it for 7 years. I lose very slowly and I get very fatigued when I have a lupus flare and don't have the energy to exercise, which means the weight packs back on very quickly. I definitely don't mean to discourage anyone when I say I've been at weight loss for such a long time; rather its just been very difficult for me to accept the high amount of physical activity and low amount of carbs that I personally need to feel good and lose weight. I think that is probably the key for me; realizing that its not about spending a lot of time in the gym for two years and then going back to my old sedentary ways. That's what I did in 2010 with my first huge flare, and now over 2 years later I'm carrying 40 extra pounds again. I am realizing that committing to exercise is a lifelong thing for me, which means constantly trying to keep exercise convenient and fun for myself. Also I'm learning to accept that I have challenges that not everyone has, and taking it easy on myself, because if I beat myself up over this stuff then it is far too easy to give up completely.

I also find that B vitamins, especially methylcobalamin and folate, and and being properly medicated for thyroid is just as important as eating well and sleeping and exercising.
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you all as well. Before I had my daughter I lost 90 lbs.. It was incredible.. I worked out 3 times a week and was on a very low carb diet. I then gained 60 lbs while I was pregnant and well that 60 lbs will not leave. I take metformin for the PCOS, I spoke to my doctor about that fact that with all I am trying I just couldn't loose. They upped my dose and with the low carb diet BAM! I lost 9-10 lbs in 2 weeks. I am hoping that it keeps going. I am trying to have another baby and the dang PCOS w/ my current weight just will not let me... If any of you are looking for new friends for support please feel free to add me :) GL everyone
  • beccaboo2001
    beccaboo2001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS & Hypothyroid - grr. I am feeling more motivated now that I see you guys talking about Metformin. I may need to check into that. I have a heck of a time. I lost about 1 pound a week since January 1st. So I guess that's good/normal. It is very very slow though. I have a hard time getting in activity most days of the week. I try for walking and Zumba. Good luck! Add me! It helps having support!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What worked for me and ending up getting pregnant was portion control, more veggies, more water, and excersie briskly walking my doggy. Havent really focused on carb control. I know that works for a lot of people, but the minute you say I'm on a diet I go off of it. I eat my veggies first and then I eat my portioned out meal.

I drink tons of water too see big Bertha in my profile pic.

Oh and log everything that comes into your mouth.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else started to research the relationship between PCOS, hypothyroidism, IR, and Iodine Deficiency? Just wondering...
  • t1nker8ell
    Options
    I too have all of the above :(:cry: I will be honest with you I am really struggling to lose weight! My doctor has refered me to the Choose to Change Pathway, and hoping they can tell me what I am doing wrong. Let me know if you find anything and I will do the same! Good Luck :smile:
  • RupaliRana
    Options
    Ayurveda: India's 5,000-Year-Old wisdom..please friends try Ayurveda. i hv jst started taking hyponidd tablets.Please friends give it a shot-Ayurveda alone will save our generation.
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and all I ever hear from my doctor is about limiting carbs as it makes your blood sugars go crazy.

As someone posted above though, carbs are what I crave! I still fit them into my diet, and luckily still manage to lose. If I want to get seriously dieting though (i.e. down to my ultimate goal weight) then I will be cutting carbs.