Newest Passion: Cold Weather Running!!

Options
Who knew!?! I never thought I'd love running in the cold before. But, recently, I've been running when it's 30 degrees and colder and I LOVE IT!!! It's invigorating and refreshing and I feel like I could run forever. Anybody else experience this?

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it also, and had the same reaction as you. It was -15F out there this morning, I'll be utilizing the treadmill or track today, however! There are limits to my enthusiasm!!
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I give you major kudos! I am a wimp when it comes to the cold. My last outdoor run was October 27th! LOL Normally I'd continue in November, but I stopped due to injury anyway. Now I'm on the ole 'mill till spring!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I prefer running in fall and winter and DREAD summer running (I'm a sweaty beast, lol). I was planning to run today, but it's -37C out there, and there are limits :P
  • jpomroy34
    Options
    I love running in the cold. The hardest part is to not dress too warm! It is very invigorating and it seems that there is more quiet because no one else is out. Enjoy!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Running in winter is far better than summer imo. I will take cold temps over humity any day!
  • glhnh3784
    glhnh3784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also love it!!! i do my long runs on sunday and love when it is 30-50 degrees.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I prefer spring, summer, fall. (FL here) I tend to get a soar throat when jogging when its below 70 degrees lol. How do you push through that part?
  • Mindochka
    Mindochka Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Running in winter is far better than summer imo. I will take cold temps over humity any day!

Agreed! I am new to running (5 months or so) and had a nice cold one last night! 8 degrees with wind chill. Brr.... But it is invigorating and motivating!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I have no problem running in 95 degree heat, wearing barely anything with the sweat pouring off me. Winter running, however, not a fan. It hurts to breath, my phone is difficult to operate whilst wearing gloves, my head gets itchy with a hat on, my feet go numb from the cold...I could go on but I'll stop there.

The other day I was like, "Well, it snowed, so I couldn't run outside even if I wanted to." Literally 5 seconds later I drove past three guys jogging merrily along the snowy sidewalk. Touche, snow runners.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    LOVE running in the cold..I prefer it over the heat. What I find weird are those people running on a sidewalk at noon in JULY!! I'd pass out!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, even when it's in the 20s-30s F, but today we're right at zero. No.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes but I also have my limits. Coldest I have ever gone out is 10 so that is my all time limit. I love it when it's in the 20's (as long as there is no wind LOL)
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love it too, but have a hard time convincing my warm self to get out the door in the winter! I still manage my long runs outside, but during the week, I generally choose 5:30am dark outside treadmill runs instead:) The coldest I've run so far has been 4 degrees, and the first mile was chilly, but the next 7 were amazing! I'd MUCH prefer running in 5-35 degrees than in the muggy humid summer!
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Love the cold! I'm even starting to get good at dodging the icy spots.
  • ShannonChris78
    ShannonChris78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love it as well! Ran today and it's 20° here!! Cold air is soooo refreshing and invigorating. I am new to running, but not really looking forward to hot runs, but never done it before. Should be in pretty good shape by the time I try to face the heat. Cold IS the best in my opinion! ;•)
  • francaise3
    francaise3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Definitely prefer cold to hot! Was our running today - its not too cold today - only around -4 C, but felt great! Running in deep snow is also super fun - people look at you like you're crazy! :D
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of running in the cold - except when it dips way below freezing & there's wind. Then I'll choose an alternate activity (elliptical or ZUMBA). Otherwise, if it's above freezing and the wind has stopped, I'm game!
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I live in Iowa and in the last three weeks I've run in temps ranging from 1 to 55. The only day the weather stopped me was this past Monday when it was -5 with an extreme windchill as well.

treadmillssuck_zps4d79dfd2.jpg
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Love it! It was about -20C yesterday and it felt great. I'm happy to run through Canadian winters but I retreat to the treadmill in the summer!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love running in the cold! It's been in the 20's & 30's lately and perfect although I haven't gotten to enjoy running in it. I have a 2yr old who currently hates the jogging stroller unless my hubby is home to push her. I think he pushes her faster.lol. I HATE running in the summer heat. If I can't get my run in early than I have to wait until 7ish in the summer. Not sure how people run in the heat in the middle of the day. Definitely not for me.