If you work in food service....(Offensive)

Options

Replies

• cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The large majority of people are respectful enough to leave a decent tip.

Wow, my character is certainly being assailed today. I've been called discourteous, disrespectful, belittling, not-nice, and one guy practically called me a baby killer.

All because I didn't tip some rude bartender a dollar.

All because while I more-often-than-not do tip, I don't think I should be socially obligated to do so.

All because I think workers should make a decent wage and employers should have to pick up the tab.

It's a good thing I'm losing all this weight and my self-esteem can handle all these slings and arrows.
  • SteelersfanChris
    Options
    I don't know why this is so hard to understand. It's my belief that when i go to a restaurant, I should be charged a fair price, which i then pay, and the restaurant should pay their employees a fair wage. Like I said previously ... I tip most of the time .

I get that, and I guess some of that was lost in translation because if I can be brutally honest with you, a lot of what you were saying earlier came off as very condescending, whether that was your intention or not (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean to come off that way.

Also, I agree with you in principle: restaurants should charge us a fair price and pay their employees a fair wage. But most of the time they don't. That's the reality of things. I'm glad you live in a state where restaurants can't get away with that. Most people don't. And I'm sorry if I misread you earlier and if you do normally tip, then I apologize for getting snarky.

To me there's no call to not leave a tip unless I get service that is aggressively terrible/outright hostile. And even then I'm likely to leave 10% just because I have good manners. If I'm satisfied with my service, I leave 20%, sometimes more if I really get outstanding service. This applies not only to servers, but also to bartenders, tattoo artists, pizza delivery drivers, hotel bellboys, taxi drivers, and even baristas if my order is difficult, particularly large, or I'm one of those jerks that comes in at 5 minutes before close.

And just for the record, it's REALLY rude and insulting to refer to people in the service industry as "unskilled" laborers. For one thing, how do you know they're unskilled? It's a rough job market. There's plenty of people out there with degrees who have to moonlight at Chili's to make sure the light bill gets paid. Second, I've encountered more than a fair share of people who made good money pushing pencils in a cubicle all day and there are plenty of people in the hospitality industry who I would consider more skilled at a good number of things than executives in big money corporations. I dare say your average bartender is far, far more skilled than some stiff punching numbers into a calculator 40 hours a week.

Please, think about how degrading that term is and how that makes you sound to other people before you use it to talk about hard-working, intelligent people who haven't lucked their way into a six-figure job. Sorry for the rudeness earlier.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ok - I'm not hurling insults at anyone, and I would say this: the bartender should not have refused you service for not tipping him. I don't know that I tip them with every drink (I think I usually do) or settle up towards the end of the night, but that's with a tab running...So, I'll take your side on that one, and I also agree, we should all earn fair wages. I also agree with one of the other posters, when you get great service (I think Casper said) say THANK YOU. it's a small gesture, but one most often forgotten. I guess we could all use a dose of a little Miss Manners in our lives.. lol
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options

Wow, my character is certainly being assailed today. I've been called discourteous, disrespectful, belittling, not-nice, and one guy practically called me a baby killer.

All because I didn't tip some rude bartender a dollar.

All because while I more-often-than-not do tip, I don't think I should be socially obligated to do so.

All because I think workers should make a decent wage and employers should have to pick up the tab.

It's a good thing I'm losing all this weight and my self-esteem can handle all these slings and arrows.

Not tipping is discourteous and disrespectful. There's not much else I can say there.

The bartender was very rude after you didn't tip him. I would never speak to a customer that way, especially over an $8 ticket. However, I also wouldn't want to serve somebody knowing that I was paying to do so.

Don't let the disagreements here make you feel bad, especially if you feel that your intentions are in the right place.

::EDIT:: Would also like to add that I agree with Mina--- I am not sure how the bartender knew you weren't going to tip at the end of the night.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I was speaking to my restaurant's general manager tonight to get a better idea on how things would change if suddenly we were to get paid a 'fair hourly wage'. He said first off most a lot of restaurants, especially mom and pop places, would probably close down. This would be because their labor cost (what they pay employees) would go through the roof, in turn they'd have to really raise prices of menu items which would then mean less customers because people wouldn't want to pay higher prices. For example, at my job tonight there were 9 servers, and we worked say 6 hours each. Times $2.13 an hour, that's $115.02 total cost for one shift. If we were to get regular minimum wage of $7.25, not even a "fair hourly wage", that'd cost the restaurant 391.50, just over triple what it is now.. That's quite a difference, every single day. Now if you were saying something like $12.50 is a 'fair hourly wage', that cost goes up to $675. That's a lot of money. So you're $12 pizza is going to be like $20 now, just to pay me. Wouldn't you rather have tipped me a few bucks instead of paying $8 extra?

I've lived in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and there servers get paid regular minimum wage. I've also lived in New Jersey and (currently) Texas, and here we get paid $2.13 an hour.

It is what it is.
  • toots99
    Options
    The fact that nobody understands that I'm actually on the side of the employee, suggests that I've failed to adequately convey my point of view.

I can see that you're on the side of them employees, you want us to get paid more. But I really don't think that's going to happen. And honestly, a lot of servers would rather be tipped than get a paycheck. I know I would. I make more than minimum wage. Tonight was a very slow night at work and I made almost $15 an hour after I tipped out.

So I guess what it comes down to, tip fairly for good service, or tip poorly if you want bad service next time. I understand you don't want to be responsible for paying me, so don't pay me...life goes on and the next table will probably make up for you. :laugh:
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    >
    Tipping is common courtesy, and there is no debating that. Just as some people do not feel obligated to hold the door open for others, some people do not feel obligated to tip.
    <

Decent service is courtesy, and a tip is its reward.

Are you saying that people should tip based on the service they receive?

That's what I was trying to say earlier, sorry for cutting in here... but when did it become so *kitten* backwards that servers are no longer expected to earn their tips? It should never be expected. Its part of your job, I dont go to work expecting to get paid without working hard for it and neither should servers. When I take my family out for dinner at the end of a hard week of work, I expect the same hardworking, focused and dedicated work ethic from my server that I show to my clients and employer at work. It is, after all, called earning a living. I would really like to know why servers just expect to get tips for nothing, simply for showing up for work? In the real world, people earn their money. I've always said to servers that if you dont like the money, get out of the work. The fact of the matter is that servers make amazing money on tips (tax free might I add, at least most places in Ontario it's not regulated how much of the tips are claimed as income for tax purposes). If you're not making amazing money on tips this should tell you one of two things: either you are a bad server, or you work in a low volume restaurant.

It's common sense.... why should I let you into my wallet when I had to bust my *kitten* to earn that money. You are going to have to bust your *kitten* just as hard to get it from me, plain and simple. I think thats fair, dont you?

I also wanted to add that I see alot of people posting about the wages. You have to take the good with the bad. You want better wages then buckle down and join the real world and work a normal 40 hour work week.... the fact is most of you cant and that's why you serve because of the very flexible hours for the most part.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

<<snip>>
    I'm the one guy. I didn't call you a baby killer. I said that people who don't tip cause waitresses kids to go hungry, which is true. :bigsmile:
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    >
    Tipping is common courtesy, and there is no debating that. Just as some people do not feel obligated to hold the door open for others, some people do not feel obligated to tip.
    <

Decent service is courtesy, and a tip is its reward.

Are you saying that people should tip based on the service they receive?

That's what I was trying to say earlier, sorry for cutting in here... but when did it become so *kitten* backwards that servers are no longer expected to earn their tips? It should never be expected. Its part of your job, I dont go to work expecting to get paid without working hard for it and neither should servers. When I take my family out for dinner at the end of a hard week of work, I expect the same hardworking, focused and dedicated work ethic from my server that I show to my clients and employer at work. It is, after all, called earning a living. I would really like to know why servers just expect to get tips for nothing, simply for showing up for work? In the real world, people earn their money. I've always said to servers that if you dont like the money, get out of the work. The fact of the matter is that servers make amazing money on tips (tax free might I add, at least most places in Ontario it's not regulated how much of the tips are claimed as income for tax purposes). If you're not making amazing money on tips this should tell you one of two things: either you are a bad server, or you work in a low volume restaurant.

It's common sense.... why should I let you into my wallet when I had to bust my *kitten* to earn that money. You are going to have to bust your *kitten* just as hard to get it from me, plain and simple. I think thats fair, dont you?

I also wanted to add that I see alot of people posting about the wages. You have to take the good with the bad. You want better wages then buckle down and join the real world and work a normal 40 hour work week.... the fact is most of you cant and that's why you serve because of the very flexible hours for the most part.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic. :smile: I absolutely agree that a server should be tipped based on the service they provide. I do not know of any server who feels that they are not expected to earn their tips.

The reason for the sarcasm is because this concept has nothing to do with the video. That woman left a bad tip because she is cheap and rude, not because she got bad service.
  • melizabeth
    melizabeth Posts: 13
    Options
    no one would laugh at you! i love it when people compliment me b/c if they are just a low tipper or in financial hardship and only give my 15%, but tell me that i was a great witress, i know it's not my fault that i didn't get more. i think that's a good thing you do for real! it really changes a waitresses day if someone says something extra special about you :) i love waiting tables though!
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    ::::$12.50 an hour probably sounds like a lot, but once you tax it, a single person living on about $400 in the hand a week, well, that's not much to live on! Especially when you're looking at around $150 a week just for your share of rent in a shared home, and it costs between $80 and $100 to fill an average car with fuel. Power, phone bills, food, clothing, insurances, and so on and so forth, to be somehow paid with the remainder... ::::::

Wow....I work in an office and I'm only making 9.50 an hour, and I have a family to raise... I'm totally getting ripped off and need to move wherever you are. I wish I made 12.50 an hour--that would be an awesome job to have!

The person who stated $12.50 lives in New Zeland (so it's around $6.25 American) Our dollar is about half what it is elsewhere in the world right now...especially in the UK, the rest of Europe and NZ.

Yup, and as I explained, our costs are higher too. The purchasing power of our dollar here, vs the purchasing power of your dollar is nowhere near the same.
    If one looks at it in terms of the big mac index I mentiond the other day, the number of minutes the average person has to work in order to purchase a big mac, is roughly the same in both countries.
    So our minimum wage may be a higher figure, but it buys roughly the same amount of good and services.
    a BM is roughly $5 vs a min hourly wage of $12.50. So multiply whatever it might cost for a single BM in your country, times it by 2.5, and that's roughly how our $12.50 equates in your $.

You might be interested to know that the USD is actually quite high here, it's hovering around 76 cents, not 50 :smile: Doesn't really apply to general living costs though, just imports/exports n stuff.

To the person wanting to move here thinking they can raise a family on $12.50 an hour - depending on where you live, at least $250 but more like $300 of your take home pay (approx $400) per WEEK would go on rent. And that's for a fairly small and old home. phone and internet at ;least $100 a month, and power around $120-$180 a month, higher if you're in a cheap, ****ty cold damp house, lower if you're in a really good house but then you'll be paying more in rent than you're actually EARNING.

I don't really have an opinion on tipping - it's not done here and I don't see myself travelling overseas so I don't much care, it will never be a consideration for me.
    BUT I guess I was just trying to explain on from the original post that brought up how serving staff here are just paid a wage and don't get tips, how its really not much different in the end. Its a minimal pay job the world over. We wouldn't stand for staff getting paid under the legal min wage here, and i guess I cn see how when tips are a part of a server's living, it's not acceptable for them to be shafted either.

One thing I do have to say for a tipping system - I'm sure you get MUCH better service than we do! Restaurants seem to employ the bare minimum of staff, to lower costs, and they don't really give a **** usually, so we get pretty average service!
  • elibrowning
    Options
    I was Googling trying to figure out what to do with a zero dollar check, and this thread came up and I actually joined this community specifically (although it isn't going to hurt me to track weight loss either) so I could post on here and say...

I LIKE the tipping system!

For the past 8 years it has paid my bills. It's bought the rent at my art studio, a lot of nice clothes, a motorcycle and two scooters, and countless other crap I've spent my money on over the years, and now that I'm a "grownup", it's helping me save to invest in more lucrative ventures. I no longer want to wait tables, but my experience doing it has shown me that I want to own restaurants. Yeah I'm not rich but I'm doing a LOT better financially than any of my friends in other unskilled labor jobs. People I know in retail struggle to make ends meet and have debt and certainly no savings. I have savings.

I don't WANT to make $12.50 an hour. I don't even want to make American minimum wage, which is here I think is $7.55. You know why? Because if I did, it would be on the news and word would get out that server wage had been raised, the tipping standard would change, and I'd end up making a fraction of what I do now.

Think about it- today I came in at noon, worked hard to get all my sidework done so I could leave just as I got cut, and left about 5:00 pm. I worked through the lunch rush and picked up all the spare tables that came through the door in the downtime, after the other lunch waiters left. I made $77. That's $15.40 an hour, plus about a dollar an hour I'll get off my check. So I made roughly $16 an hour today. If I chose to pick up shifts I could get 40 hours a week making similar "wage". I've worked at many different kinds of restaurants and I have NEVER made less than $13 an hour or so, usually a lot more, unless it's a restaurant that's failing or just starting out. On busy days at my current job it's $20+. Sometimes a lot of people request off and I have to work doubles where a lot of the time is by myself with the manager just helping me- if this happens when an event is going on in the area, I can make $300 to $400 in a 14 hour shift.

And that's cash every shift!

How does this break down? My current job is at a coffeehouse/cafe, nothing fancy, just really popular. Yeah the tips aren't huge, but there are a lot of them. The average one person check is about $10, most tables are two or three people. People tip larger percentages on smaller checks (because most folks feel like a jerk leaving like $1.12 even if it's 20%). So let's say for every $10 (one person), I ring it, I make $2.50. This is all AVERAGE- some people stiff you and some people are just very generous. But today, if the average proved absolutely true, I'd only have to wait on 31 people over a five hour period to make $16 an hour. Think about people who work at very upscale restaurants- if my average ticket is $10, theirs is more like $50. This means they make five times as much money as me. I know people who have houses and cars paid for in full because they wait tables at a 5 star restaurant. If you're serving $40 filet mignons to millionaires, would you rather make tips or make minimum wage?

Unskilled labor is just a silly term to mean a job you didn't have to go to college to get. Don't be offended by it, it actually takes a lot of skill to be a good waiter. All restaurants have training programs and in addition it takes years of experience to become truly good at it. A lot of people I wait on I can tell think I'm an idiot and I just walked off the street and started bringing them pancakes and lattes...this is fine by me. They know nothing about me and may never see me again, and the $2 they leave on the table is building me a better life. In fact I probably make more money than a lot of them!

Sure some people suck and tip badly. It's taken me many years but I have finally come to a place where it just slides off my shoulders. Today a table of two women were accidentally overlooked by the waiter overseeing their section and had to wait 10 minutes for service. They flagged me down, I apologized profusely and did everything I could to make up for the mistake- made them a priority over all my other tables though they weren't even mine to begin with. I offered to have the manager comp their meal but they insisted on paying it. I was polite and empathetic and gave them the absolute best service I could give. The one paying the bill wrote "NO TIP!!" on the tip section of her credit card receipt. I laughed and told them to have a good day as they left. This is part of waiting tables. That lady was just a witch. There are thousands of them in the world. Ignorant, cruel people. Who cares? If you can't take crap like this with a grain of salt, go make $8 an hour folding sweaters or alphabetizing DVDs.

For unskilled labor, food service IMO is by far where it's at. Tip-based that is. I've worked retail and I've worked at places like Jamba Juice and whatnot and it feels like jail. Not allowed to leave the register, have to ask for a bathroom break. And the worst, no matter how hard you work, how much you put into an act of customer service, you will still make nothing more than your measly hourly wage that you have to wait two weeks for. Waiting tables, you can do and go wherever in the building you want as long as your tables are okay or you don't have any...this is very important to me in a job. I am not a cubicle kind of person. If I want to step outside and check out the snowfall or step into the back to text message someone, I like being respected enough to do so.

I don't want to do this forever, but I am so grateful it's the "field" I got into when I was 18 and felt worthless because I had no interest in anything with job security and pension. My money from waiting tables has allowed me to travel, to give me a small taste of luxuries, to educate me in people and the way they work. I gain genuine pleasure in serving someone- I understand it's up to me whether or not they leave this place happy, and I take that responsibility seriously. Because if I just complained about it all day, I would simply lose hope. You will NEVER run out of things to complain about in the service industry, you see the worst in people. So why even start? Make today a good day and put that $200 you just made Saturday night into a high interest savings account so you can become something great when you're ready to.

So there...that's my converse point of view. :)
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options

And this is what I've always said - those in the service industry are just fine with their wages and the tipping system because they rake in the money. ;)

The tipping system is fine for you - the server, it's not such a great situation for those being served.

Why was she a witch just because she didn't leave a tip??? Think about it, she's already paid for her food, why does she have to pay for the service on TOP OF her bill? Why should YOU be rewarded with a tip just for doing your job? Why should the customer be paying your wage? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just asking questions.

I work in the retail industry and I work my BUTT off for my customers. Yesterday I had to pick a lady off the floor after she fainted. I've run my feet off running around the store to personally pick items off the shelf for customers. I work HARD... and in my industry tips are not expected or given despite the fact most cashiers are paid minimum wage to less. Not only are tips not expected but when people attempt to tip me I refuse to take the money. I do well by people because it's the right thing to do in ANY job, not because I want monetary compensation.

Anyway, that's just my two cents in response to your two cents. :) Now we almost have a nickel!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ,,, Why should the customer be paying your wage? ...
    You're kidding, right? Customers pay all wages. In most other jobs the customer pays the till - the mgmt./owner takes the till and pays costs/expenses/wages/taxes and keeps the remainder as profit - but that money that pays the wages still came from the customer. No customer = no wages. That's how every business works, the only thing diff about the tipping game is that the customer pays the server DIRECTLY.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I worked my way through college as a waitress. I can honestly tell you that other than "being a mom" - it was the hardest I have EVER worked in my life. I provided good service and yes, I depended on my tips to pay my bills. A slow night in tips generally meant that I was eating canned green beans for a few nights for dinner. Instead of considering taking away the tipping system... let's add it to every job... how much HARDER would most people work, how much more DILIGENT would people be if their income truly depended on doing their job well? LOL

The problem with that is that when you're a waitress... your income DOESN'T depend on whether you do your job well... it depends on whether you do your job well AND the graciousness of your customers.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This tipping thing is really depending on the country you are in. It is completely different in Germany than in US, UK or so. Here the tips are included in the money you pay when your bill comes and many many restaurants even have a paragraph on their menu that tell you to please NOT to tip the personnel because of the including service charge in the bill. Sometimes when you anyway add a tip or tell them to "make it even" they reply with that they are not allowed to do that or have to put it into a coffee-collection pot for donation to any good cause and not take it for themselves.
  • toots99
    Options
    I was Googling trying to figure out what to do with a zero dollar check, and this thread came up and I actually joined this community specifically (although it isn't going to hurt me to track weight loss either) so I could post on here and say...

I LIKE the tipping system!

For the past 8 years it has paid my bills. It's bought the rent at my art studio, a lot of nice clothes, a motorcycle and two scooters, and countless other crap I've spent my money on over the years, and now that I'm a "grownup", it's helping me save to invest in more lucrative ventures. I no longer want to wait tables, but my experience doing it has shown me that I want to own restaurants. Yeah I'm not rich but I'm doing a LOT better financially than any of my friends in other unskilled labor jobs. People I know in retail struggle to make ends meet and have debt and certainly no savings. I have savings.

I don't WANT to make $12.50 an hour. I don't even want to make American minimum wage, which is here I think is $7.55. You know why? Because if I did, it would be on the news and word would get out that server wage had been raised, the tipping standard would change, and I'd end up making a fraction of what I do now.

Think about it- today I came in at noon, worked hard to get all my sidework done so I could leave just as I got cut, and left about 5:00 pm. I worked through the lunch rush and picked up all the spare tables that came through the door in the downtime, after the other lunch waiters left. I made $77. That's $15.40 an hour, plus about a dollar an hour I'll get off my check. So I made roughly $16 an hour today. If I chose to pick up shifts I could get 40 hours a week making similar "wage". I've worked at many different kinds of restaurants and I have NEVER made less than $13 an hour or so, usually a lot more, unless it's a restaurant that's failing or just starting out. On busy days at my current job it's $20+. Sometimes a lot of people request off and I have to work doubles where a lot of the time is by myself with the manager just helping me- if this happens when an event is going on in the area, I can make $300 to $400 in a 14 hour shift.

And that's cash every shift!

How does this break down? My current job is at a coffeehouse/cafe, nothing fancy, just really popular. Yeah the tips aren't huge, but there are a lot of them. The average one person check is about $10, most tables are two or three people. People tip larger percentages on smaller checks (because most folks feel like a jerk leaving like $1.12 even if it's 20%). So let's say for every $10 (one person), I ring it, I make $2.50. This is all AVERAGE- some people stiff you and some people are just very generous. But today, if the average proved absolutely true, I'd only have to wait on 31 people over a five hour period to make $16 an hour. Think about people who work at very upscale restaurants- if my average ticket is $10, theirs is more like $50. This means they make five times as much money as me. I know people who have houses and cars paid for in full because they wait tables at a 5 star restaurant. If you're serving $40 filet mignons to millionaires, would you rather make tips or make minimum wage?

Unskilled labor is just a silly term to mean a job you didn't have to go to college to get. Don't be offended by it, it actually takes a lot of skill to be a good waiter. All restaurants have training programs and in addition it takes years of experience to become truly good at it. A lot of people I wait on I can tell think I'm an idiot and I just walked off the street and started bringing them pancakes and lattes...this is fine by me. They know nothing about me and may never see me again, and the $2 they leave on the table is building me a better life. In fact I probably make more money than a lot of them!

Sure some people suck and tip badly. It's taken me many years but I have finally come to a place where it just slides off my shoulders. Today a table of two women were accidentally overlooked by the waiter overseeing their section and had to wait 10 minutes for service. They flagged me down, I apologized profusely and did everything I could to make up for the mistake- made them a priority over all my other tables though they weren't even mine to begin with. I offered to have the manager comp their meal but they insisted on paying it. I was polite and empathetic and gave them the absolute best service I could give. The one paying the bill wrote "NO TIP!!" on the tip section of her credit card receipt. I laughed and told them to have a good day as they left. This is part of waiting tables. That lady was just a witch. There are thousands of them in the world. Ignorant, cruel people. Who cares? If you can't take crap like this with a grain of salt, go make $8 an hour folding sweaters or alphabetizing DVDs.

For unskilled labor, food service IMO is by far where it's at. Tip-based that is. I've worked retail and I've worked at places like Jamba Juice and whatnot and it feels like jail. Not allowed to leave the register, have to ask for a bathroom break. And the worst, no matter how hard you work, how much you put into an act of customer service, you will still make nothing more than your measly hourly wage that you have to wait two weeks for. Waiting tables, you can do and go wherever in the building you want as long as your tables are okay or you don't have any...this is very important to me in a job. I am not a cubicle kind of person. If I want to step outside and check out the snowfall or step into the back to text message someone, I like being respected enough to do so.

I don't want to do this forever, but I am so grateful it's the "field" I got into when I was 18 and felt worthless because I had no interest in anything with job security and pension. My money from waiting tables has allowed me to travel, to give me a small taste of luxuries, to educate me in people and the way they work. I gain genuine pleasure in serving someone- I understand it's up to me whether or not they leave this place happy, and I take that responsibility seriously. Because if I just complained about it all day, I would simply lose hope. You will NEVER run out of things to complain about in the service industry, you see the worst in people. So why even start? Make today a good day and put that $200 you just made Saturday night into a high interest savings account so you can become something great when you're ready to.

Now THAT is my favorite post ever! :drinker:
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all... I can't even understand half of what she's saying! Ahahahaha!! Second of all.. servers expect a tip, whether you're black or white. I'm tired of black people, asian people, hell..even WHITE people coming up in the very beginning of a convo saying "I was the only ____ person there.. and this is what happened." Nobody gives a crap what color you are anymore. And unless someone specifically comes out and says.. "I don't like you or what you did because you're ____" Then don't assume it!

On another note: I worked as a server starting at 15-19. It paid for my car, insurance, gas, and that was about it. Tips are good or bad. But if I was having a bad day, I'd get bad tips and I'd know why. Yea we EXPECT the tip, but they also expect good service. I have only not tipped I think once or twice, and that's because the service was HORRIBLE even after asking numerous times, prompting them to do more, etc. But I do tip based on service. Now, Villiage Inn.(which is like IHOP like if you guys aren't around those restraunts) We had a big party, like 10 people? Now when you go to VI you don't really expect to spend much. On a normal day, I'll leave a $5 if it's me and my bf, but we left the server $50 because we were a huge party and got great service. On the other side of that, my bf and i once sat NEXT to a huge party and got NO SERVICE.. it took 20 minutes between getting out water and coming back to take our order. So.. I'm not going to tip for things like that, but i'll tip greatly for great service. At Buffalo Wild Wings (which is like a bar/grill typs with wings. Think..hooters plus sports i guess) There were 3 of us, we sat there for like 3 hours, drinks, wings, etc. This girl checked on us, kept us filled up on drinks, joked with us. Our bill was like, $50. We left her a $50 tip. That's 100%!! Because she was great!!!

Service is a hard job, we all understand. But only expect to recieve what you get. Sometimes you will get stiffed yes, but the next table you have..give it 110% and maybe they'll make up for that last table. This woman was just crazy for posting it all up on youtube or whatever. Get a life. Maybe you should get outta those pink sweat pants and go to work to make an extra $20 or so for a tip. Heh. :P
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    You're kidding, right? Customers pay all wages. In most other jobs the customer pays the till - the mgmt./owner takes the till and pays costs/expenses/wages/taxes and keeps the remainder as profit - but that money that pays the wages still came from the customer. No customer = no wages. That's how every business works, the only thing diff about the tipping game is that the customer pays the server DIRECTLY.

Yes and then the customer gets to decide how much they're paying and honestly that's so messed up. Just add that 'wage' to the total bill and this whole drama wouldn't exist. :)
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options

Yes and then the customer gets to decide how much they're paying and honestly that's so messed up. Just add that 'wage' to the total bill and this whole drama wouldn't exist. :)

And then the price of going out to eat increases remarkably so that the business can compensate for paying their employees more and rather than servers being rewarded for their good service, they're paid the same as the bad servers. Not good.

I don't foresee the system changing anytime soon. I also don't see anything wrong with it except for the fact that some people don't tip. But if you're a good server you're bound to make what you need to live on and if you're a bad server not getting enough tips then you should find a new job.