Sacred Heart Diet

Options
Has anyone tried this diet? I'm considering it.
If you haven't heard, I can send you the link...

Feedback?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fat than eat this diet
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Are you headed in for surgery and need to lose weight fast?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fat than eat this diet

For the win.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I looked the diet up on the internet, and there's a bit of a math problem with it.

So, there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat.
    This means that in order to lose one pound of body fat, you need to burn 3500 more calories than you eat.

According to the internet, you should expect to lose 10 - 17 pounds in one week on this diet.[1]

That means that you will have burnt 35,000 to 60,000 more calories than you consumed (10 x 3,500 to 17 x 3,500).

Since this diet includes no exercise, and the average person burns about 2,000 calories a day, you will only burn an average of 14,000 calories in a week, which equates to a maximum potential weight loss on a total starvation diet of

four pounds.

(14,000 / 3,500 = 4).

So, in summary, NO NO NO NO.

[1] http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Seems legit. Does the heart come on the side? Why is there no heart in the soup? What if I want extra heart, hold the sacred?
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This diet is nutritional haulocaust. You'd have to be crazy to try it, and you will do yourself no good.
    Hoever, thats only my opinion, and if anyone is one it - good luck. MFP would never support this kind of dieting, its not a lifestyle change and thats the only way to succeed.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    These threads are running rampant today.

Look, most people on here have had success with maintaining a calorie deficit and putting in some old fashioned plain hard work (exercise). It works. It does. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You don't have to adhere to any other rules but that. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Look, most people on here have had success with maintaining a calorie deficit and putting in some old fashioned plain hard work (exercise). It works. It does. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You don't have to adhere to any other rules but that. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Does it get old repeating the same thing, day after day?
    :tongue: :tongue:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Day 4

Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup.

Apologize to your toilet beforehand
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

every time a severely overweight person claims they are in starvation mode, god kills a kitten.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    After googling, this is one of those "If you don't have an eating disorder before going into this, you sure as hell will AFTER." Also, any diet that says "This soup does not have calories" is dead-wrong from the get-go.

I'd steer clear. Most people are screwed up enough without adding this kind of dysfunction onto their plate.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Day 4

Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup.

Apologize to your toilet beforehand

:laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just read about it. What. The. Eff?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I looked the diet up on the internet, and there's a bit of a math problem with it.

So, there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat.
    This means that in order to lose one pound of body fat, you need to burn 3500 more calories than you eat.

According to the internet, you should expect to lose 10 - 17 pounds in one week on this diet.[1]

That means that you will have burnt 35,000 to 60,000 more calories than you consumed (10 x 3,500 to 17 x 35,000).

Since this diet includes no exercise, and the average person burns about 2,000 calories a day, you will only burn an average of 14,000 calories in a week, which equates to a maximum potential weight loss on a total starvation diet of

four pounds.

(14,000 / 3,500 = 4).

So, in summary, NO NO NO NO.

[1] http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

^^ Full of awesome.
  • 0dreamer0
    Options

That's the whole point of requesting feedback. Calorie counting is wise to train yourself on portion control...however, I was seeking opinions because I need to cleanse somehow due to the amount of bull**** I've put my body through. My friend who doesn't calorie count but simply works out 6 days/wk tried the "diet" but everyone is different so I was looking for feed back. Not a quick fix. I am smart enough to know that exercise and proper eating is key.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    That's the whole point of requesting feedback. Calorie counting is wise to train yourself on portion control...however, I was seeking opinions because I need to cleanse somehow due to the amount of bull**** I've put my body through. My friend who doesn't calorie count but simply works out 6 days/wk tried the "diet" but everyone is different so I was looking for feed back. Not a quick fix. I am smart enough to know that exercise and proper eating is key.

That website is just a serious of unsustainable/ unhealthy/ cranky/ faddy/ crash diets and adverts, doesn't that tell you something? Also note it claims
    "This diet comes from the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital that is used for overweight heart patients in order to lose weight rapidly, usually prior to surgery."
    And
    "Continue on the diet as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically."
    No doubt you would feel the difference mentally and physically once malnutrition kicks in in earnest.
    http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

"The American Heart Association (AHA) and the hospitals whose names have been associated with the cabbage soup diet have issued formal disclaimers warning the public that they do not endorse this diet. The Hopital du Sacré-Coeur de Montréal states in its 2004 press release that the diet is contrary to healthy feeding patterns and even presents potential dangers to good health. The Sacred Heart Medical Center (SHMC) in Spokane requests that people do not affiliate the diet with their hospital as they do not consider it a safe or healthy method of weight loss. A SHMC disclaimer states, “This diet did not originate at SHMC and it is not endorsed by the dietitians or the staff of our cardiac rehabilitation program. One of our major concerns about this diet plan is it emphasizes the consumption of fruits and vegetables while excluding the consumption of meat or fish, cereal grains and milk products on most days.

Any diet that focuses on only certain food groups will be low or deficient in essential nutrients and, therefore, lead to poor nutritional status long-term. Our experience with any low calorie diets like this one is that they do not lead to permanent weight loss. Once individuals start eating in a more normal pattern, the weight is regained. A very important factor in obtaining a healthy weight is to evaluate your physical activity and other lifestyle concerns. This is most appropriately done by consulting with a registered dietitian.”
    http://www.diet.com/g/cabbage-soup-diet
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

Adini wasn't critiquing, Adini loves you and wants you to be successful.

Also @firefox that was just some website I found, I don't know what relationship it has to the diet the OP is talking about necessarily.

We are all in violent agreement that moderate exercise and consumption leads to sexy results.

:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did the cabbage soup diet years ago (very similar) BEFORE I realize how to lose wieght in a healthy manner-

I disagree with the person above who said you can't burn nearly enough calories to lose 16 lbs in a week- the amount of times you have to get up and RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO THE BATHROOM must be the way you burn calories!

Don't do it, unless you want to spend 13 out of your 15 waking hours on the toilet!!!!

:blushing:
  • jamacattack
    jamacattack Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is the same "diet" that was supposedly originally put out by one of the tire companies for their employees. Yep, I trust those tire companies to tell me how to eat.

I've also read reviews of people who did this diet and by the banana day.... they felt like they were going to die. Google reviews from people who were stupid enough to try it.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Ah - and also, you don't need to cleanse yourself, OP. Clean will be a byproduct of your new lifestyle. If you're looking for some sort of spiritual / psychological break from the past, more for a milestone, then that's going to be something that's personal and meaningful for you. Your body just wants some veggies and a walk around the block :-)