Good Housekeeping All You Can Eat Soup - anyone?

Options
Hi. Today is my first day eating this recipe. I had a Starbucks skinny caramel macchiato this morning, but otherwise just the soup and some pita so far.
Has anyone else used this soup to fill up without all the calories? I've been doing 1200 cals or fewer a day, but the scale hasn't moved, so I'd like to kick things into gear a bit. I work out at least 60 min or more a day, so it isn't inactivity, it's just a stuck metabolism, lol.

Anyone work with this and have results, good or bad?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    For the love of god, EAT.

Edit: EAT REAL FOOD.
  • suziek88
    suziek88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was helpful.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've seen the recipe before. It's a broth based soup with low calorie vegetables. Those are always good foods to include in a diet. But that should not be the bulk of your diet. Your body needs protein and fat and carbs and calories.

It sounds like you may be eating too few calories. To lose weight more safely and make your diet more sustainable long term, eat at least 1200 NET calories (total caloires minus calories burned through exercise). You can even eat more than that and still lose.

If you go too low you risk losing a lot of muscle along with fat, and it's harder to sustain very low calories long term for most people.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "eat."
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was helpful.

But it was true.

You NEED to be eating MORE.
    Under 1200 or even 1200 is not healthy..

But, do what you want...
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you only have 19lbs to go ... and if that is a recent pic of you in your profile, you should most definitely be eating well above 1200 calories. If you have your desired weightloss set at 2lbs a week, change it to .5lbs. Eat the additional calories that MFP gives you and eat at least half of your exercise calories back (as most calories burned are not 100% accurate, even if you're using a HRM).

If/when you finally decide to feed your body, do not freak out if you gain a pound or two the first few weeks, just keep at it. I promise you that eating more will be a hell of a lot more sustainable and pleasurable, than eating vegetable soup as your main staple.
  • suziek88
    Options
    Let me be a bit clearer:
    I am a very active triathlete. My workouts now are lower than they would be in the regular season. We all have a desired "racing weight," which is what I would like to reach. It's not much to lose, but I've been following MFP for a while.
    My net calories are approximately 1200 - so I am taking in more than that, eating a balanced array of foods including fats, fiber, proteins, and carbohydrates.
    If I didn't do that, I'd never make it through one workout session, let alone 60-90 min per day.

I know the notion of "eat," and I would concur, except that the calorie reduction has only been a few weeks, and I've seen no movement. Based on my activity level, previous caloric intake, and nutritional balance, there should have been a moderate loss in the last several weeks.
    There hasn't been.

I would rather shed some of the fat layer now so that I can resume my normal, protein-heavy, super balanced nutrition plan while I boost muscle as I head into the Triathlon season. My first race is 9 weeks away, so in a few short weeks, my caloric intake and balance will resume, plus more. In March through August, my body is accustomed to burning more than 1,000 calories a day, and I fuel it to do so.

If you only want to tell me, "eat," please don't post. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particular soup, and if so, how it went. If you have little to offer, please post elsewhere.

Thanks.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Let me be a bit clearer:
    I am a very active triathlete. My workouts now are lower than they would be in the regular season. We all have a desired "racing weight," which is what I would like to reach. It's not much to lose, but I've been following MFP for a while.
    My net calories are approximately 1200 - so I am taking in more than that, eating a balanced array of foods including fats, fiber, proteins, and carbohydrates.
    If I didn't do that, I'd never make it through one workout session, let alone 60-90 min per day.

I know the notion of "eat," and I would concur, except that the calorie reduction has only been a few weeks, and I've seen no movement. Based on my activity level, previous caloric intake, and nutritional balance, there should have been a moderate loss in the last several weeks.
    There hasn't been.

I would rather shed some of the fat layer now so that I can resume my normal, protein-heavy, super balanced nutrition plan while I boost muscle as I head into the Triathlon season. My first race is 9 weeks away, so in a few short weeks, my caloric intake and balance will resume, plus more. In March through August, my body is accustomed to burning more than 1,000 calories a day, and I fuel it to do so.

If you only want to tell me, "eat," please don't post. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particular soup, and if so, how it went. If you have little to offer, please post elsewhere.

Thanks.

Wonderful. Another "I only want people to post if they don't disagree with me and/or give give me the answer I want to hear."

P.S. We can post anywhere we like.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let me be a bit clearer:

There hasn't been.

Thanks.

What do you mean by "experience with the soup". It's been a while, but my recollection was that the soup was meant to be an "all you can eat" filler for a diet. As in, eat a healthy diet, but if you are still hungry you can eat all of this that you want because it's so low calorie. I have know a few people that have used it in that capacity and it worked well. I've never known anyone to eat only this soup and bread, though.
  • suziek88
    Options
    Adini,
    I certainly hope that someone is more helpful to you when you ask a question. Funny, I thought that when folks here asked something, it was in hopes of getting a thoughtful, kind, and supportive response.
    I imagine it would be great if I told you to go to Krispy Kreme every morning, right?
    Maybe that's the right answer for you - go get 'em, girl. You have fun on your Atkins quest, okay?
    Try not taking out your induction anger on someone who was looking for feedback.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Unless you are absolutely tiny already you should not be netting less than 1200, therefore EAT whether you want to hear it or not. Micronutrients are as important as macronutrients. Starving your body doesn't simply lead to shedding fat, it leads to shedding glycogen, water and muscle mass which is the fastest way to injury, overtraining syndrome, adrenal fatigue, rebound weight gain ...

If you are absolutely tiny already but want to be tinier for your sport you would be best seeing a registered dietician not asking (mostly) unqualified randoms on a forum. Calculate your BMR and TDEE as accurately as possible using your body fat/ lean mass and activity from a heart rate monitor not equations that rely on too many averages.
  • suziek88
    Options
    Thanks for some input here.
    I do work with a nutritionist, on a good solid plan. We'll take off the pounds I don't want and add on the ones I do, the way it should go.

Thanks