PCOS....

Options

Replies

• jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I too am on a low G.I. diet and it is the first thing that has ever worked for me. I am on Glumetza (long lasting Metformin) three times a day and I hardly ever have stomach issues, and if I do I find it is when I take it without food. And yes, I find it does help. Before the Glumetza I was flucuating a lot, my Dr says it won't help me lose weight, but it will allow me to lose weight more like a person without PCOS, and that's enough for me. I also walk 35 mins to and from work and do Kickboxing 4-5 times a week, I find the intensity is enough for my body to actually burn the fat, not much else is. I too will loose nothing for weeks then go down .2 or .9 of a pound, I've been at this since April '09 and have kept on a downward trend, so to me that's enough. Slowly but surely.
    Good luck ladies :bigsmile:
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thats my main problem, when I hit that plateau I lose motivation. leading to me yo-yoing on and off diets all the time. Im determined to stick with it this time though!

I wish I could just kick PCOS right in th butt!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering where you got the info for the GI Diet. Is it a book or did you find it online?
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    I've just changed my diet permanently and if I lose one week and not the next I don't let it bother me, If I stopped every time I plateaued I'd never do this, lol!
    I got the G.I. Diet book its by Rick Gallop, you can Google search G.I. Diet and find the web site for more info. I went to the library and got all the books, including the recipe book. It's really easy to follow, the book shows Green, Yellow and Red sections, you just eat whatever is in the Green section 90% of the time and bingo, you lose weight :bigsmile: It's not hard at all. Let me know if you have any questions :bigsmile:
  • rebecca4274
    Options
    PCOS here too!

I've had it for years, and am sick of it. I have untreated thyroid issues as well (only because the dr's refuse to treat them). It sucks to have the double whammy.

But, I'm not playing victim to PCOS or excuses anymore. I recently re-started taking my Metformin (after a stubborn "screw you I'm not taking meds anymore hiatus), and with the help of MFP and my own hard work have lost 11 pounds so far.

So it can be done, we just unfortunately have to work harder than others that don't have PCOS.

Hang in there, and good luck!!!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, and being uninsured, I can't afford to see my doctor to get back on Metaformin...while taking it, I lost 60 pounds at one point! I have about 100 to lose, and I know it's possible...hopefully I won't gain it all back this time. It comes on very easily!
  • Sweettart
    Options
    If Metformin helps with weight loss and PCOS then why doesnt every dr perscribe it?
  • jb_sweet_99
    Options
    Setttart Honestly a lot of Drs think that PCOS is crap or its all in our heads, we know differently...either that or they believe that weight loss will cure all, but don't think about how hard it is. Also, some Drs aren't aware of how to treat it because they don't educate themselves on it. I had to ask my Dr about it, she never brought it up at all. :huh:
  • Sweettart
    Options
    I totally get what you mean!

I went to an endocrinologist yesterday for the first time and he said I need to lose weight (DUH) and he sent me for some blood tests and a 2 hour sugar test today.

When I asked him about Metformin he just looked at me funny. So when I go back for my results June 2 he said he will prob put me on birth control. For some reason not a fan of this dr!
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Lols. The birth control pill will help with regulating your period, if you have problems with that.

I know that If i stop taking the pill I stop having periods... period (hehe, see what I did there)

Metformin is a drug for diabetes, and not all doctors are aware of its use for PCOS. I know when I changed doctors and asked for my metformin to be put back on repeat prescription he looked puzzled and had to check his little book of medications before he would clear it for me.

Why do we trust doctors with our health? :grumble:
  • Sweettart
    Options
    I have NO idea! :laugh:

There are a lot of great dr's out there but the bad ones seem to ruin it for the good ones I think!
  • inspiration78
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and though it is very easy for me to lose weight it is also very easy for me to gain insane amounts of weight very quickly. One of the big issues with weight gain and PCOS tends to be abdominal fat. Though I'm losing weight like crazy it's coming off my midsection much more slowly. It sucks and it's one of those things that varies greatly from woman to woman, but all of us dealing with it knows how very frustrating it can be. Keep doing what you're doing. It might take a little extra time and devotion but you can get the results you're hoping for if you stick with it. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm having the same problem with losing weight more quickly in my butt and legs and not so much in my midsection. It sucks but I figure at least I am losing, ya know?
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and had Gastric Bypass almost 3 years ago. The past year I slowly put on 20 lbs, simply because I don't get really sick from sugar anymore (well, I do, but not dumping syndrome anymore)...this 20 lbs put my PCOS in a tailspin and I gained another 15 in 6 wks even though I was more active than before. I know for my own body, I just have to give up refined sugars completely in order to lose and not get migraines and to get my hormones to even out. After losing a ton of weight after my surgery, all my PCOS symptoms went away because I was not eating any sugar at all (just natural sugars from fresh fruit). Hope this helps :)
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Im really trying to cut down on sugars especially at the moment.

not doing amazingy well. but getting gradually better.

Damn fruit and its tempting sweetness.
  • thepurplestar
    thepurplestar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and the ONLY thing that has worked over the years is going low-carb. When I reach a goal weight, I switch to low-GI to maintain.

It's so hard doing proper low-carb though, especially when you work full-time, have a toddler, and many sleepless nights to contend with :yawn:
  • rosesoflove1025
    Options
    I too have pcos....there are some days weeks that it is a struggle to lose weight and others I see results. I did fin though that sticking with the GI diet has helped me to stay consistent in losing and feeling better in the inside.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and the ONLY thing that has worked over the years is going low-carb. When I reach a goal weight, I switch to low-GI to maintain.

It's so hard doing proper low-carb though, especially when you work full-time, have a toddler, and many sleepless nights to contend with :yawn:

That is true because it requires more prep work and cooking. I am enjoying new recipes and such though and I have started prepping stuff for the week so it is easier on me monday - friday.

Today I am cutting up veggies (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, tomatos, red onion, cabbage, celery, bell peppers) and put them in containers so all I have to do in the morning is grab and go. I make home made salad dressings too and put the in little rubber maid containers.

I also cook chicken breasts and cut into strips, store in baggies, again, grab and go.........

Strawberries are cleaned, sliced and portioned out into 1 cup containers.

Then each day all I have to worry about is cooking supper when I get home from work.

I also make home cooked dog food for my fur babies, so Sunday is usually prep and cook day for me.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Im really trying to cut down on sugars especially at the moment.

not doing amazingy well. but getting gradually better.

Damn fruit and its tempting sweetness.

I was told by my endocrinologist that those of us with PCOS should not have more than 3 servings of fruit a week and the serving should be the size of a kiwi. That is to lower triglycerides in the blood.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and it is harder to lose weight.
    Someone mentioned cutting out sugars. Let me tell you, that's a great idea. My doctor told me to stop eating High Fructose Corn Syrup all together. I did, and I feel a lot better and it's somewhat easier to lose the weight.
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Thats much easier here in the UK as corn syrup is illegal :P

my main problems are fruits.. yes I know theyre healthy sugars but theyre sugars nontheless =C