18 years old, gained 33 lbs in 6 months

Options
I always start off a diet really well, but as soon as I break it (takes anywhere from a month to a week) I can never seem to get back on track. I binge eat. Badly. However, I'm hoping this time will be different, as I really need to lose about 40 lbs in seven months for college. I really don't want to go through the embarassment of buying a whole new wardrobe because I'm steadily gaining weight. Also, the extra pounds is really detrimental to my self confidence, and I can't date because I'm scared of what guys will think of me at this size. I'm 5' and would like to be around 105 lbs, I am currently 145 lbs.

Would anyone like to help me out, diet and exercise wise?

PS- I signed up for a half marathon in April (I've always been a 'runner' so I know I can do it if I put my mind to it) to help with the working out. I paid for it, so I can't quit working out!

Replies

• Bcreature4
    Options
    efreeman: It is hard to be confident in oneself. How many times I have been there...let's *not* count them. LOL. I cannot help diet and exercise-wise as I am a newbie, but just wanted to let you know, have faith in yourself; don't feel that you need to lose weight because of what you fear guys may think of you. Lose weight because you want to and it'll make you feel healthy! How I would love to be 145! :tongue:
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How I would love to be 145!

I hear that! My goal weight is 150.
    I agree, this is something that you have to do for you and that motivation has to come from somewhere deep inside you. Something that tells you everyday I HAVE TO DO THIS. You can't do it for a guy, for your family, or for anything/ anyone else. It HAS to be for you. Sure, those people and things can be inspiration, but not the reason. Best of luck to you....keep your chin up!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    gaining 33lbs in 6 months! ......sure you're not preggo?
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    33 lbs in 6 months sound like something to involve a doctor. You may need to have your thyroid functions checked.
  • efreeman210
    Options
    Fortunately pregnancy is not my excuse (not that I have anything against it, just not ready) and neither do I think I'm sick. I just had a 6 month streak of serious binge eating.
  • efreeman210
    Options
    And PS- Thanks for the support!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Fortunately pregnancy is not my excuse (not that I have anything against it, just not ready) and neither do I think I'm sick. I just had a 6 month streak of serious binge eating.

Thing is, if you are just coming off a six month long binge cycle, and now you are trying to restrict, that is a psychological red flag. Your over-eating and then subsequent attempts at weight-loss can easily lead to an eating disorder. Tell a health-care professional what you've told us. You need to break this destructive behavior before it cycles into a habit. Over-eating by so much that you gain 33 lbs is just as dangerous as under-eating.

Guys love women of all sizes. Go out and date, regardless of your weight - there's someone for everyone.
  • mareed29
    mareed29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Proud of you for making the commitment. But you need to make it for yourself. Try not to focus on the numbers (I know, easier said than done). DON'T DIET!!!! MAKE ADJUSTMENTS!! Take 1 day at a time and slowly start to progress into loss. College is filled with all different types of people so try not to down yourself for your weight. A great guy will see you for who you are- my mom used to say the same to me and Iaughed, but it's true. My husband proposed to me when i was 5'4" and 200lbs. Stay positive and focused on your goals. I've done every diet there is, and the only thing that's working is changing my eating and exercise. I know if you stay true to your goals, you will be very happy with your progress and meet some amazing people, maybe some great guys, in college. Good luck girl!

LOVED THIS-
    "Guys love women of all sizes. Go out and date, regardless of your weight - there's someone for everyone. "
  • mareed29
    mareed29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I meant to say.... I laughed when my mom said a great guy will see you for who you are. No that she laughed after saying it
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am between 5' and 5'1 and I started college between 150 and 160 (wearing a size 10) ... I met my husband six weeks into my freshman year of college. We didn't get married until the year after I graduated, but I met him then. I looked at myself with disgust and contempt then ... but I stumbled over some old pictures the other night and I remember thinking, "Damn I had some mighty fine legs then, I'd kill to have them now."

My husband has seen my weight see-saw from that, all the way down to 140 and wearing a size 6 ... up to 207 and wearing a 14/16. He loves me regardless. Me on the other hand, I do not.

And, might I point out, whoever brought up the eating disorder is dead on ... my weight ballooned after the loss of my brother. I didn't grieve properly (hell, at all), and I developed a binge eating disorder to deal with his loss. Because food would always be there. I'm okay talking about this now, because it's the only way someone can learn from my mistakes. Two attempts at therapy didn't help me. Only working on myself, and a life-threatening event, has helped me come to terms with it. You might need to take a look at what caused you to go on a six-month long binge session and see what you can do to fix it. For me, my binging went on for about two or three years before I realized what it was doing to me.

Now, it's time for me to take life by the horns and get healthy. For me, it's about perspective. It's not about losing weight and fitting in pretty clothes (or not buying a bigger size, or whatnot). It's about being healthy to watch my daughter grow up. It's about being healthy to protect myself from having to endure another hospital stay. It's about controlling my health, instead of accepting my health owns me and rolling over to die like my dad did. Once I got that through my thick skull it was SOOOOOO much easier NOT to binge. To make better choices. To drink 8-12 cups of water a day instead of sweet tea. To skip dessert. Because my focus is right this time. And I think this time, my success will be longer lasting.
  • silverburk
    Options
    You need to be happy with YOURSELF, or you will never trust that someone else is happy with you. Losing is weight is something YOU have to want to do. As mentioned above, if you want to use those things for inspiration great, wonderful, awesome, but it will never be your long term motivation. And until you learn to love YOU no matter what weight or size you are, you will never be happy and you will never be happy with what you see in the mirror. Sad, but true fact. It's a hard lesson to learn. We see all these pictures of beautiful thin women in magazines, but do you really think those women are happy? Some maybe, but most "models" are anorexic, bulimic, or on some time of drug(s) to suppress their appetite. I'm not saying all, but This is a lifestyle change, not a diet and not a quick fix. I wish you luck and hope you find success on your journey. :)
  • MagicsMommy11
    MagicsMommy11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey I know what you mean, I go through cycles as well but I'm an emotional eater. I'm 22 years old and 5"0.5' my starting weight this time was 138 (my current is 132) and my goal is 110 so if you want to add me I'm sure we can be a great support to each other :happy: I'm moving at the end of June so thats my deadline to loose my remaining weight (22lbs).

Good Luck!

20902354.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • silverburk
    Options
    For the record, I am between 5' and 5'1 and I started college between 150 and 160 (wearing a size 10) ... I met my husband six weeks into my freshman year of college. We didn't get married until the year after I graduated, but I met him then. I looked at myself with disgust and contempt then ... but I stumbled over some old pictures the other night and I remember thinking, "Damn I had some mighty fine legs then, I'd kill to have them now."

My husband has seen my weight see-saw from that, all the way down to 140 and wearing a size 6 ... up to 207 and wearing a 14/16. He loves me regardless. Me on the other hand, I do not.

And, might I point out, whoever brought up the eating disorder is dead on ... my weight ballooned after the loss of my brother. I didn't grieve properly (hell, at all), and I developed a binge eating disorder to deal with his loss. Because food would always be there. I'm okay talking about this now, because it's the only way someone can learn from my mistakes. Two attempts at therapy didn't help me. Only working on myself, and a life-threatening event, has helped me come to terms with it. You might need to take a look at what caused you to go on a six-month long binge session and see what you can do to fix it. For me, my binging went on for about two or three years before I realized what it was doing to me.

Now, it's time for me to take life by the horns and get healthy. For me, it's about perspective. It's not about losing weight and fitting in pretty clothes (or not buying a bigger size, or whatnot). It's about being healthy to watch my daughter grow up. It's about being healthy to protect myself from having to endure another hospital stay. It's about controlling my health, instead of accepting my health owns me and rolling over to die like my dad did. Once I got that through my thick skull it was SOOOOOO much easier NOT to binge. To make better choices. To drink 8-12 cups of water a day instead of sweet tea. To skip dessert. Because my focus is right this time. And I think this time, my success will be longer lasting.

I really wish we had like buttons. I am glad you overcame this and found a reason to become healthy and make good decisions. :) *hugs*
  • dtban
    dtban Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    this is a fun and fast way to lose weight, i did this before and lost 30 pounds in a month and a half just by eating healthier and working out to something i enjoyed http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11569-turbo-jam-learn-burn-6-week-challange
  • loridianehood33
    loridianehood33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater....always have been. Just recently gained 17lbs in 6 weeks after Halloween. Was down to a weight I was happy at and hit a binge day that kept on going!! It is very doable. One program I suggest for binge eaters is OA...they are amazing and you don't have to be obese to join...they are a great support network with people who know exactly what you are going through. Think about giving them a try. I havent been in about 20 years but I remember the relief I felt when I left one of their meetings. We don't have one here unfortunately or I would be back.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I really wish we had like buttons. I am glad you overcame this and found a reason to become healthy and make good decisions. :) *hugs*

Awww, thanks. :smile:
  • Arcane2013
    Options
    You can do anything you set your mind to, I am 22 years old, 227 pounds, I have a university degree and I'm married. My weight did make nervous at times but as long as your determined it won't stop you.

No one notices how you look within the first few weeks of college because everyone is nervous starting a big step in their life, it's this time where you will make the friends that will stay with you for years and they won't care one bit how much you weigh. As for boys noticing you, if they only notice your body then they aren't worth your time, find someone who makes you feel beautiful, you deserve it.

Good luck hun :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    First, 145 is not big love, I'm nearly 100 pounds on you. Yes, you are shorter but still. And many MANY men out there love women of all sizes - I was nearly a 100 heavier when I married my husband and he didn't care.

What worries me is you very fast gain in such a short time (33 in 6 months) and you admitting that this isn't the first time you have tried to loose weight. As some ot the others have stated, you may need to see a doctor - one to make sure there really isn't something wrong. It could be thyroid, blood sugar, digestive... there are several reasons to gain that fast. Unless you where consuming close to 4000+ cals a day, every day, then sitting (or laying down) all day, for someone so young to gain that fast is alarming.

Second - in order to loose that amount in 7 months, you will need to watch every calorie consumed and start healthy exercise & eating habits. Cutting too drastically will do nothing but set you back and worse, make you rebound more weight. It takes ALOT of effort to loose weight safety and KEEP it off. If you simply cut back you food, as soon as you start eating normally, you will gain it back fast. That means even if you reach the goal you want to head to school, you'll have to maintain that level for YEARS. Studying and being successful at school will take alot of effort on your part, if you are underfed, malnourished and sickly, your school time could be at risk.

You can add me if you want, but you need to address issues like why you binge eat, if there is a medical issue and how to be healthy over just small. Good luck hun and I hope you honestly do read some of these replies.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Everyone gains when they start college. It mostly comes from eating out and alcohol. If you are drinking, I suggest you cut that out while you are losing (it pretty much stalls my losses). After that, calorie tracking and exercise will probably be enough to get you where you want to be. Does your college allow you access to their gym? If so, start doing cardio 3x a week and weight training 3x a week. Take the stairs instead of waiting for elevators. Track every last bite you eat. If you have cafeteria style dining, stay away from things that are fried! Aim for grilled meats (chicken and turkey are best), lay off of condiments that have a lot of calories like mayo, opt for water or diet instead of regular soda, grab an apple for snacking on the way out, go for whole grain instead of white breads.