An interesting workout question help please!

Options
I took my first kickboxing class wednesday. First time id worked out since october. I feel like someone drop kicked me and kicked in my ribs and just wouldnt stop kicking me. But strangly a good feeling.:flowerforyou:

I need opinions. The class is an hour long. Clearly since its first time, I had to stop at times because i was out of breath or lost. It said that just half an hour of kickboxing was 460 calories burned when i added it to mfp. I didnt want to record that I was there for an hour and cheat myself.

Here is my question:

Do you think that if i work out the whole class non stop should i record the whole hour ? what if i stop a few times then what should i record? iIm afraid that if i start eating excecise cals that i will not have the accurate amount of calories I burned and over eat and cause no weight loss or even worse weight gain....Any one who takes kick boxing or has any insight it would be appreciated. :love:

Replies

• policebaby
    policebaby Posts: 19
    Options
    I too do Kickboxing Classes, Zumba Classes and a few other ones that truly kick my butt. I have found that the look up sites that give the general calories burned for those exercises are not person specific, therefor are usually inacurate. I invested in a heartrate monitor. It was one of the best things I did. It tells me based on ME, (my weight, height, age, sex, etc.) and MY heartrate for (however long I exercised) exactly how many calories I actually burned. It even gives me a nice little trophy at the end of the week if I meet my goals...!!! :)
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Everyone kept telling me to get a HRM.. it was the best money spent. I bought a really cheap one at Walmart for 25 bucks and it didn't keep any sort of consistency... Returned that puppy real quick!

Then, I got a Polar FT4. It was the best money spent!!! It is accurate, consistent, easy to use, etc. I didn't want to spend the $90, but in hind-sight I am so glad I did. I know now with confidence, when I record it is accurate and it gives me something fun to obsess about:)

I even wear it cleaning at times and try to move as much as possible just to see how many calories you can burn doing every day things. Kinda dorky... but fun :)
  • BodyTransformation
    Options
    I couldnt agree more with some of the things people have posted on here before. Its nearly impossible to accurately calculate the exact amount of calories you burned during the class. Even if you had gone the entire hour without stopping, its not going to be the exact amount of calories burned. The reason for this is a collection of things, (age, sex, thermogenic effect, ETC). I would say if you were active for the most of the hour its definitely a good idea to log the hour, without the fear of cheating yourself.

Nice work on getting active, I bet that class was really tough!

Hope this helps,
    BT