First Half Marathon

Options
Is there anyone out there training for their first Half Marathon?

I'm doing my first Half Marathon on March 16th and am looking for friends to help motivate me and stay on track. Plus any advice for training is always helpful!

I've been running 2-3 days per week of shorter runs (3-6 miles) plus 1 long run per week (try to do 10-12 miles, but sometimes only get 8 or so in). And then fill in the remianing days with miscellaneous cardio classes.

I'd love to add some runner friends with the same interests!

Replies

• ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I may be in just about the same boat as you. :) I'm moving away from my hometown in northern MN next month, but I'd like to return in mid June for Grandma's Marathon, in which I'd be doing the Garry Bjorkland half, assuming I get a spot, since there is a lottery. If I don't get in, I'll have to find another half to register for.

Currently, I'm able to run up to about 2.5 miles. A couple years ago, I was able to run up to 4. Since then, I got married and a little *soft* around my edges (about 15 pounds), so I just want to get back in shape, and I believe the weight should follow. My mom is almost 60 and has been a runner since she was 25. She looks great for her age, so that's where a lot of my motivation comes from. That, and I can't keep buying bigger jeans!

I'm running about every other day now. I'm trying to alternate between a slow & steady longer run, medium length, slightly-faster paced run, and an interval run each time I run. I'm feeling a lot better than I thought I would, and usually enjoying the runs. I'm trying to build mileage slowly, because I ran too far once on old shoes, and I got shin splints from hell that took over a month for me to recover from. We hit a -40 F windchill here a couple times in the last week, so I've been on the treadmill lately. I'd like to become more of an outside runner, though.

I'd be happy to have a friend to keep me accountable and motivated!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm not training for my first but would love more running friends. I'm actually running my second half marathon this coming Sunday :) and another one in May. I've only been running for about a year and half, but I have learned a lotand would love to help support another runner :)
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My training starts this Sunday for my first half :) I was 3 weeks from finishing my training Nov '11 when I found out I was pregnant. So now, here I am with a 5month old starting all over again. I have a 10 miler on March 23rd, still looking for a half in the Spring. I have one in the fall for sure though :)

My training: running on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun : Rest Mon & Fri : other Wed.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm on my fourth (March 3rd) and fifth (May 5th) and would love some more running friends! Adding you!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Great, I think I've added all of you if you didn't add me first! Excited to get some more friends on here and see what kind of runs you all do! Winter is a little harder for me to stay motivated as I much prefer running outside (which of course, is harder to do both because of the cold and lack of daylight hours)!

Looking forward to following all of your training and to motivate you and get some motivation and accoutability in return!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well I am running Tough Mudder in April so that is my focus for now. After April I go to half training to prep for marathon training.

Good luck on your first half, they are addictive!!!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am running my first on the 3rd and thinking about a second in March.
  • LetiMarie_864
    LetiMarie_864 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going to run my 1st half marathon in march. I'm Lucky to have a mom that is able to give me advice, since, she has ran 3 full marathons and it will be 4 after this sunday;) but I would love more friends for motivation and more advice and tips!:) feel free to add:))
  • seestellarun13_1
    seestellarun13_1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay for the RUNNERS! I completed my first half in October 2012 & just completed my second this past Sunday. I love anything and everything running. I've got races scheduled until May!

What kind of tips are you looking for? I have a whole Pinterest board of my favorite running tips. Having local running buddies helps too because they have great advice.

I want more running MFP friends! Feel free to add me!
  • sburens
    sburens Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im training for my first, March 17th. It is one of the most challenging courses around here (I didn't know that!), so I am quite nervous. Im doing 2 shorter runs during the week, 2-3 spin classes, and one long run on the weekend. Im doing my first 8 on Saturday.

Feel free to add me!
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    My first half is February 9th! I'd love some more running friends even though I'm only a couple of weeks away from my race. I'm guessing I'll sign up for another one because I've realized that I really enjoy running!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first Half in three weeks! Super excited :)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd one on March 28th!
  • jrocnrun
    Options
    Running my first half in April! Start training on Monday 1/28. Im soo excited!!
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there training for their first Half Marathon?

I'm doing my first Half Marathon on March 16th and am looking for friends to help motivate me and stay on track. Plus any advice for training is always helpful!

I've been running 2-3 days per week of shorter runs (3-6 miles) plus 1 long run per week (try to do 10-12 miles, but sometimes only get 8 or so in). And then fill in the remianing days with miscellaneous cardio classes.

I'd love to add some runner friends with the same interests!

Hey there! I'm training my my first half marathon too! It's not until October though. You can add me if you want. I'm not sure if I can offer any advice. I think I will find a book on training for a half. I run 2-3 times a week as well. I also try and fit in weight lifting and cycling each twice a week to break the monotony. Good luck to you!
  • allday2
    allday2 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Im always training for one....Add me!
  • JennaL890
    Options
    Hey! I'm training for my first half marathon too (probably sometime in late spring or early summer). I really enjoy running and am always looking to lend support/for support myself! Feel free to add me!
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm following a half marathon training schedule as part of my preparation for tough mudder, and have just recently fallen in love with running. I'm planning on running a half marathon later on in the spring after TM in April. I'd love to have more running friends on here!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first in May... add me ;)
  • dan7038
    dan7038 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good goal! I ran my first half on on 11/3 and have another scheduled 4/29/13. Finding I'm loving it! I'm also still new-ish to running having only been doing it for about six months. We have something called the Triple Crown of Running here in Louisville I signed up for. It is a March 5k, May 10k and April 10miler. I think you'll enjoy the half marathon. It was difficult, but worth it to complete.