thinking about increasing calories again...

Options
Just looking for justification and encouragement to make this change. It makes sense to me, but it's still always "scary" when increasing calories! I'm 5'2", 127lbs, bf% of 31. A few months ago, I increased my cals to 1500 from 1300 and I did lose some weight. I've been at a standstill for quite a while now, which also includes the holidays (I didn't gain anything though). I attend 3 fitness classes a week (bootcamp and cross fit) and I usually do some cardio after, either 20 mins on the elliptical or 35 on the treadmill (doing intervals) depending on the intensity of the class or how late it is, etc. I also go in on the weekends and do a strength circuit followed by HIIT on the t-mill. Sometimes I fit in some exercise at home, but if not, I am pretty active all day with my 7 month old. The only time I have a day where I'm sitting is at work and that's only twice a week, but again, those days I hit the gym before or after work. So, all in all I workout about 4-5 times a week, usually 40-70 minutes. I think I can even feel my body needing more food, I seem to be hungrier than I used to be. I ran the numbers again and it looks like I could jump up to 1600-1650...should I do it? Do you think I will start to lose a little more if I do so? It's hard because I feel like I'm short and I shouldn't be eating that much! But I don't know what else to do, I'm working my *kitten* off and not seeing the scale move...but I am definitely seeing a lot of toning. There is just some places that have fat that I need GONE! TIA

Replies

• kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 129-ish lbs right now. Body fat is 24.5%. I eat about 1600-1750 calories a day and still have managed to loose weight. I was eating 1200-1300 and freaking out when i went over my calorie limit. BUT, my weight was at a stand still from december 9th to now. I put on 2 lbs originally so i weighted about 132 and just decided to stick with it. I got on the scale this morning and it was 128.4, which is the lightest i've weighed so far!! I definitely feel better, i'm hungrier now which I'm attributing to my metabolism actually working properly. My roommate looses weight eating 2500 calories a day and do a couple runs a week. She's increasing her calories to 3000 to stop loosing weight. I'm jealous!!! lol it was definitely scary at first...but i'm just hoping the scale continues to drop!!!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have no practical advice to offer, only solidarity. A friend of mine crunched the Roadmap numbers for me this morning and showed me that I'd been eating at not even 100 calories over BMR. That is not cool. I'm kind of nervous about calorie increases (I was at 1450), but am making the leap of faith and going to keep increasing until 1600. I do know that with every previous (now as incremental as I know they were) I did start losing faster - probably because I had more energy to keep up with working out and to build strength. My friend even said I could probably take it up to 1700 in the future.

So I'm taking the plunge right along with you. Here's to trying new things!
  • kerriotto
    Options
    A week ago I increased from 1700 to 2200 and I've lost 1.3lbs since (you don't eat back exercise calories on this method).
    I work out most days of the week and am a bigger girl but 1700 was my BMR. It simply wasn't enough.
    I feel a lot better too- not quite so "wrung out".

Good luck!
  • tressatnt
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I did more research and it looks like 1600 is the way to go. I'd also be able to eat back calories. According to a few calculators I need around 2,000 to maintain at my activity level. So, to lose weight, cut that down to 1600 and eat back some exercise so I net 1600, right? Yeah, that's right because if I didn't eat back, then I would net 900-1300 depending on how much I burn.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    This was the thread I read. It takes into account your lifestyle so you eat a consistent amount daily and don't eat back exercise calories.
    The post says to not eat at or below your BMR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • tressatnt
    Options
    Yes I've read that one! I think I had it wrong. I don't think I can eat back my cals, but honestly I don't think 1600 can sustain me especially on days I burn 600+. I'm not sure what to do now. I thought 1600 would already be at a deficit enough that I could eat back some cals. Sigh...
  • bluecrush1203
    bluecrush1203 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If 2000 is the number you can have to maintain, and factors your general activity level, then you should be NETTING 1600 to lose. So if you burn 500 calories exercising, you should be eating closer to 2000-2100. I was eating 1300 and not eating back exercise calories and got totally stuck. I then found out my BMR is 1500 without activity, or 2000 with activity. So to lose, I set a goal to net 1500. This is what my boot camp trainer told me would work best, since my 1300 goal was too low. I'm just starting this increase this week, hopefully it works!