Floating away

Options
I feel like I am going to float away! Do you really need to drink 64 ozs of water a day? I am at 48 and about to pop!

Replies

• pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day of drinking the full 64 oz. I spaced it out and it wasn't so bad. Today it's better. Hopefully we'll get used to it in no time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body needs hydration but it doesn't need to be in the form of drinking quantities of water. All liquid counts and you get quite a bit just from the food you eat as well. Did you know an apple is 85% water? If your urine is pale yellow then you're getting enough liquids in your day.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    keep a full glass nearby & drink frequent 2-4 oz sips every time you glance at it.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am going to float away! Do you really need to drink 64 ozs of water a day? I am at 48 and about to pop!

Nope.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. As long as you're drinking when you're thirsty, you're fine.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Most food has a water content.

But just keep a water filled cup by the side of you and sip it..you will be amazed how much water you can go through when it is just there. If you try to drink it just going to get refills all the time you will get bloated.

Water can help you to fill full and sometimes if you think you are hungry it can just be a few sips of water and it will pass.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Nope.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Because everything you read on the internet is true *smh* i would talk to your doctor they will be able to advise of the proper amount for your size.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    LOL i drink 202 oz I feel great
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

This may work for you Gerald, but, I don`t think you should prescribe it to other people?

That is 10 pints of water or nearly 6 litres?
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I drink well near a gallon a day, I exercise a lot though, and need to hydrate to keep up with my body. There have been a few studies that have shown water increases the rate at which we burn calories, although the same size in my opinion doesn't give it enough weight to call it a fact, but water is good, and zero calories!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options

This may work for you Gerald, but, I don`t think you should prescribe it to other people?

That is 10 pints of water or nearly 6 litres?

Yes I've always been a big water drinker so its been easy for me I've been doing it for years I would never tell anyone to drink that much 8 glasses is enough :happy: :wink: :drinker:
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    I drink a lot of water because my body tends to retain fluid, and it's very touchy about my sodium intake. I have found (after starting to drink the 8 glasses a day) that my water retention has improved.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, good at ridding the toxins.
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You need water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to your organs and tissues. It also helps transport oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs. Water is a major component of blood which carries nutrients and oxygen to and from all cells. Water helps maintain a healthy weight. It is hard to distinguish between hunger and thirst. If you feel hungry, drink some water first and then reassess your hunger status. A lot of times if I feel hungry I'll drink 8oz & realize that I really wasn't hungry. Each day, your body loses 2-3 quarts of water through sweat, urination, excretion and breathing. The body loses even more water if you exercise, live in hot or dry climates, consume high fiber diets, and consume caffeine or alcohol. Its good to drink half your body weight in water.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer to drink a gallon a day. 64oz seems very little to me.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've only ever felt that way if I've tried to drink too much at one time. I actually drink 80 ounces at least per day.

What I've figured is the best way to judge if you're well hydrated, which is the goal, is the colour of your urine, if it's fairly pale you're good, if it's darker drink more.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I never used to drink water so when I started it was very difficult. Now, since I don't drink my calories and am not a fan of most calorie free drinks, all I drink is water. I average 80oz a day just because I like it, not because I'm forcing it.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You do know you don't have to hold it in, right?
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer to drink a gallon a day. 64oz seems very little to me.

Um, 64 ounces is a gallon.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The water recommendations are for those following the average American diet....very high in sodium, animal products, and starches. If you are eating a fruit and veg based diet you will get a lot more of your water from food and not need to drink nearly as much. I never drink 8 cups a day. I think I'd explode. I'm not anywhere near dehydration. I exercise intensely for an hour a day and still don't need to drink that much. Listen to your body and do what makes you feel best.